SASS Wire Forum

Breakfast of Champions!

Utah Bob #35998

I am now properly fortified and ready to kick a** and take names.

Alas there is no one kickable around...os maybe I’ll take a quick snooze. :)

I think I’ll stick to cold pizza and warm beer, or as we called it in college, “The Breakfast of People Who Never Remotely Considered Being Champions “

https://archive.org/details/manualforarmycoo1917unit

see: https://archive.org/details/manualforarmycoo1917unit/page/180  for the recipe.

Beef, chipped (for 60 men). Ingredients used : 15 pounds chipped beef. 1 pound fat, butter preferred. 1 1/2  pounds flour, browned in fat. 2 cans evaporated milk. 1 bunch parsley. 1/4 ounce pepper. 6 quarts beef stock. Melt the fat in the pan and add the flour; cook a few minutes; mix the milk and beef stock, or water; stir the batter in slowly to pre- vent lumping; add the beef and cook a few minutes. Add the parsley and serve on toast. If the beef is very salty, it should be scalded before cooking.

8 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

see: https://archive.org/details/manualforarmycoo1917unit/page/180  for the recipe.

Beef, chipped (for 60 men). Ingredients used : 15 pounds chipped beef. 1 pound fat, butter preferred. 1 1/2  pounds flour, browned in fat. 2 cans evaporated milk. 1 bunch parsley. 1/4 ounce pepper. 6 quarts beef stock. Melt the fat in the pan and add the flour; cook a few minutes; mix the milk and beef stock, or water; stir the batter in slowly to pre- vent lumping; add the beef and cook a few minutes. Add the parsley and serve on toast. If the beef is very salty, it should be scalded before cooking.

I don't use the tasty 1916 recipe. Them guys was unhealthy! :)

Plus Chipped Beef is for the Navy as far as I'm concerned (although my dad and son liked it, and they weren't Navy).

http://www.navyhistory.org/2016/04/chow-creamed-sliced-beef-on-toast-s-o-s/

51 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If culinary school taught me anything, it’s choose the right sized pan before you start.

of course you really don’t know if the beef is very salty until you’ve cooked it. Thus it’s better the second morning.

9 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PS W/O toast it is not SOS.

Agreed. It's on toast. You just can't see it. :)

Ah yes...  creamed beef on toast - it is the Lagavulin-16 of breakfast foods.

-Of course, depending on your perspective, Lagavulin-16 might be considered the creamed beef on toast of Scotch Whisky

It should also be said - that is a fine choice of mug for consuming your coffee.

31 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Should the toast be lightly done or crispy.

Crispy

40 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

Ah yes...  creamed beef on toast - it is the Lagavulin-16 of breakfast foods.

-Of course, depending on your perspective, Lagavulin-16 might be considered the creamed beef on toast of Scotch Whisky

It should also be said - that is a fine choice of mug for consuming your coffee.

DOL. ;)

Oh gird thy loins ye men of weaker mettle. Feast on this sumptuous repast of warriors and sally forth to meet the rising sun and uncertain fate! Eat I say! And damn the consequences! ;)

58 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Gird-Up-Your-Loins-2.jpg

Note: Doesn’t work with jungle fatigues. Or a kilt,

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Oh gird thy loins ye men of weaker mettle. Feast on this sumptuous repast of warriors and sally forth to meet the rising sun and uncertain fate! Eat I say! And damn the consequences! ;)

I will admit it looks tasty. I haven't had any since I retired though. I don't know anyplace that makes it, and I'm far too scared to try to make it myself. Especially since I would be the only one eating it.

55 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I will admit it looks tasty. I haven't had any since I retired though. I don't know anyplace that makes it, and I'm far too scared to try to make it myself. Especially since I would be the only one eating it.

Simply follow the simple Quartermaster recipe. 

You do have to cut it down some. :D

25 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Simply follow the simple Quartermaster recipe. 

You do have to cut it down some. :D

Just a tad.

12 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Im make it at home, both with hamburger and chipped beef.  I like one better than the other, but it changes from time to time.  Depends on what's in the fridge.

BTW, I don't waste good bread on it.  None of that artisano stuff for SOS, just plain cheap white sandwich bread.

Add some Tabasco, black pepper and salt and it's good to go.

Love SOS. I use the same recipe except I also add chipped beef. No one that I have it to this way has not just loved it.  I served with a sunny side up egg on top And Louisiana hot sauce

I remember the SOS from basic at Ft Polk. They used really fatty hamburger and when it was served there was an inch of grease on top. It was served over fresh biscuits which were really good. I used to grab a couple of them and some cereal ....pass on the greasy stuff!

“Chipped beef”.  Sounds like a box of frozen beef was sent to the mess hall and some KPs were put on it with hatchets.

where it could have come from.... once upon a time when I and even 40Rod were young, I worked in a meat packing plant. Sometimes in the boning room where quarters entered one end and barrels of parts were taken out the other end. In between there was the guy with the band saw and a bunch of meat cutters aka “boners”, the finished product conveyor carried the parts and the bones. Parts went to barrels, the bones were processed by two guys who took off the remaining scraps with funny looking devices.  Those scraps would qualify as “chipped beef”.

Archived