SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Knife

Pat Riot

Too many knives to really have a favorite.  I have 2-3 on me all the time, but the one that is always there is the smallest.  Victorionox Classic.  Measuring in a about 2 inches closed.  The blade is like a razor blade, the scissors are excellent and the tweezers have removed dozens of wood and steel slivers from my paws. It lives on my keyring nest to a G.I. (P38) can opener.       Bought 2 40+years ago , 1 for me and 1 for my Grandfather. I still have both but the blades are getting awful skinny nowdays        GW

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite of all is a cheap trinket knife with wood handle that says "us army " that my son bought me with his own money when he and a friends family went to an amusement park called wild adventures.  It is so cheap that he and I were fixing something together that a blade broke and the cheap key ring broke as well but it is always in my pocket.  For actual work I also carry a small bench made. 

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

My two favorites are Opinel No. 8
Image result for opinel

and No. 5

Image result for opinel 5

Do the blades lock?

My son-in-law was telling me that there is a ring at the pivot point that locks the blade in place when open.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do the blades lock?

My son-in-law was telling me that there is a ring at the pivot point that locks the blade in place when open.

Starting with the No. 6 there is a collar that you twist to lock the blade open.  A relatively new feature is a notch on it that allows you to also lock it closed.  In fact, if you look closely at the photo of the No. 8 you can see it - a slight taper at the bottom edge.

5 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Opinel is a very underrated knife and one of the most economical values available. The No. 6 is a great size for EDC and very light for its size. 

Seamus

That it is.  The No. 8 is usually right around $20 and will last for decades.  

My favorite using knife is a Case Trapper, but my sentimental favorite is a Camillus survival knife that Buddy Evans got for me from the Army supply system.

We were at the bottom of the totem pole for supplies because we were in the Delta supporting our allies, so Buddy hired some Vietnamese women to make Viet Cong flags, banners and other such items.  He would take them to Saigon and trade them to the Supply personnel for knives, coolers, gloves, sunglasses and et cetera.

The man was a genius.

Duffield

• 2 weeks later...

That’s a nice knife but way to pricey for me because the more expensive it is the faster I’ll loose or break it That said somehow I still have my scout knives and my army issued pocket knife that came in my issue toolbox 

I have several big, flashy knives.  I used to wear them on my gun belt, one Bowie that matches my giraffe bone pistol grips on my 1875 Remingtons.  

But a true favorite has to be a Case Trapper, given to me at the Georgia State match. No ceremony. No big hooraw.  Just a cowboy that I hold in high esteem!!  We were sitting in my vendor tent, just visiting.  He stood up and said, 'I'll be right back!"

I had a Trapper for many years, starting in high school and up until it was lost. I don't recall the circumstances, but I missed that critter for several years. I had loaned it out a couple of times and on one occasion it was returned with the tip broken off of the pointed blade. Another time, I was working on a race car and I broke a little more off of the same blade, but I kept that knife anyway.  Like I said, it wandered off one time and never came back.

When my cowboy friend returned that day, he handed me a small box marked W.R. Case and Sons Cutlery Co. It contained a brand new, custom embellished Trapper. It is numbered as a limited edition. It mostly stays in my safe!  He said, "We only give these out to people we think are special. There are only a few."

THANK YOU!  JOE WEST!!!

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_E3505.JPG

IMG_E3504.JPG

Well, I got my favorite knife back from Benchmade yesterday. It’s all nice and sharp and all done up the right way. The world feels a little bit better now. :D

Picked up a new favorite fixed blade knife last weekend.

Damascus blade with damascus bolster and bone handle.

As far as fixed blades. It's my new favorite.

Ordered a new case knife that I am sure will be my new favorite pocket knife.

I probably won't carry it much if at all. But will be a nice looking one for my small collection.

http://casexx.com/Details/?ProductCode=105840&Patid=28

12 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I've got a CRKT M21-04 in my poocket about 90% of the time.

Smuteye, I carry that same knife in my motorcycle jacket pocket. Only mine has been modified with “Veff serrations”. F8245A76-3029-4240-9E69-0F3F04B68502.thumb.jpeg.afe5fd3f0dac9204197d8e3d6b07b451.jpeg7DF3EFA2-A6EA-4F02-9FDD-51B2F418AF30.thumb.jpeg.a219136c0055c350ab8f1e7587461ad3.jpeg

Turned the flash on to highlight the serrations. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Smuteye, I carry that same knife in my motorcycle jacket pocket. Only mine has been modified with “Veff serrations”. F8245A76-3029-4240-9E69-0F3F04B68502.thumb.jpeg.afe5fd3f0dac9204197d8e3d6b07b451.jpeg7DF3EFA2-A6EA-4F02-9FDD-51B2F418AF30.thumb.jpeg.a219136c0055c350ab8f1e7587461ad3.jpeg

Turned the flash on to highlight the serrations. 

Mine is 15 years old or so and rides clipped in my offside pocket.  My 'work' knife is a M16-01Z that has the same automatic liner lock safety.

In cold weather, I'll clip a SOG Pentagon II in the inside jacket pocket.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Hey Blackwater,  I like Joe West.  He is a good guy.  

Good guy doesn't begin to describe Joe West!!   He is a TOP HAND!!  Soft spoken with titanium in his words.  Kind to a fault!  Would have my back in most any situation, but will stand and face me if I'm wrong with the same conviction.  

I hope people that know me think of me half as highly!!

Howdy,

Ive had folks ask to borrow a knife and tried to use it as a screwdriver right 

in front of me.  Ive often wondered if a small screwdriver couldn't be put 

on a knife like that pick on some listed here.

A Benchmade Griptillian and a Deluxe Tinker should fill the bill.....

Best

CR

3 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Ive had folks ask to borrow a knife and tried to use it as a screwdriver right 

in front of me.  Ive often wondered if a small screwdriver couldn't be put 

on a knife like that pick on some listed here.

A Benchmade Griptillian and a Deluxe Tinker should fill the bill.....

Best

CR

I always have a Swiss Army Knife and a multi tool handy in addition to my two Benchmade knives. 

I never loan my knife to anyone. I am happy to assist and use my knife for them. 

I can't recall what model it is, but my Victorinox Swiss Army knife goes most places, hanging from a snap-on hanging from my belt. The snap is attached to a leather loop that goes over the belt and snaps, so I can take the whole shebang off when going through airport/theater security. (Goes in the checked luggage in the airport, or stays in my car if there is someplace I'm going where they don't want such things.

Knife has about everything: large and small knife blades, pliers, cross-cut saw, file/metal saw, magnifying glass, two screw drivers, can opener, bottle opener, tweezers, plastic pick, Phillips screwdriver, regular screwdriver, and a couple of other gizmos.  All-purpose tool!  Feel naked without it!;)

27 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I can't recall what model it is, but my Victorinox Swiss Army knife goes most places, hanging from a snap-on hanging from my belt. The snap is attached to a leather loop that goes over the belt and snaps, so I can take the whole shebang off when going through airport/theater security. (Goes in the checked luggage in the airport, or stays in my car if there is someplace I'm going where they don't want such things.

Knife has about everything: large and small knife blades, pliers, cross-cut saw, file/metal saw, magnifying glass, two screw drivers, can opener, bottle opener, tweezers, plastic pick, Phillips screwdriver, regular screwdriver, and a couple of other gizmos.  All-purpose tool!  Feel naked without it!;)

That sounds like a Victorinox “Explorer” Knife.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Explorer/p/1.6703

This is my next SAK. I gave my son-in-law my other one.

I use to loose knives all the time so I just carry cheep ones. Been lucky lately and have had this one for around 6 years. Smith & Wesson CK400. Picked it up at Bass Pro for free using my shopping points at the store. Usually cost around $15. I also use them for just about anything from a pick, screwdriver, cut stuff, and anything else that might come up. Have cut tin, saw on trees, you name it.

002.JPG

On 8/7/2019 at 6:09 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I was in the Navy I bought a rigging knife off of a Boatswain’s Mate that looked like the one below. When I left the Navy I gave the knife to a new deck ape that had just come aboard. I wish I would have kept it.

0E5763C4-E643-46F9-ABB9-2388D40ACC4D.jpeg.fed6d38f2b8964240400404e4fb9b0da.jpeg

I would bet a Marlin spike would definitely cause some damage. 

Back when I did a bit of sailing and worked offshore on a crew boat I had one just like that.  Lost it somewhere over the decades.  Now I carry a Kershaw every day.

I've carried a PUMA 965 Deer Hunter for almost 6 decades. 

It even resided in my pocket when I was in my office. Now it's on my belt.

It has opened mail and packages, Church donation envelopes, cleaned deer and moose and on one memorable occasion, persuaded a couple of people that trying to mug me in the parking lot of a shopping centre might not be a good idea. 

19 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I've carried a PUMA 965 Deer Hunter for almost 6 decades. 

It even resided in my pocket when I was in my office. Now it's on my belt.

It has opened mail and packages, Church donation envelopes, cleaned deer and moose and on one memorable occasion, persuaded a couple of people that trying to mug me in the parking lot of a shopping centre might not be a good idea. 

Looks like the Kabar I carried in the Navy. I still have it.

One that lives in my cassock pocket:

Image result for swiss army card

I do need to get a new battery for the light.

Very useful tool for trimming wicks on candles, or for pulling up wicks on ones that use liquid fuel.  Trimming threads on vestments, etc.  Every subdeacon should carry one.  I also have my two Opinels in my pants pocket under all my vestments.

I could have used that when I was more active behind the altar rail.

14 hours ago, Smoken D said:

I use to loose knives all the time so I just carry cheep ones. Been lucky lately and have had this one for around 6 years. Smith & Wesson CK400. Picked it up at Bass Pro for free using my shopping points at the store. Usually cost around $15. I also use them for just about anything from a pick, screwdriver, cut stuff, and anything else that might come up. Have cut tin, saw on trees, you name it.

002.JPG

I still lose them, esp. those kind. I always manage to snag the clip on something so it doesn't clip anymore. I lost my favorite Kershaw somewhere in a car in Antigua. Sure chapped my butt. I carry a Bear now that I found a deal on.

JHC

3 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Kinda like guns, it's hard to pick a favorite or the last one you'd part with. This might be mine (not actual photo). Cold Steel San Mai III. Three layer laminate steel.

JHC

other-fixed-blades_recon-tanto-san-mai-i

I came very close to buying one of these. The force is strong in this one. 

7 minutes ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

My favorite knife was a Ruko Tanto folder.

After a lot of use one could opened it faster than a swithchblade.....sadly it got stolen out of my truck.

JY6007-500x500.jpg

You can replace it for $10 and maybe some shipping. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ruko-3-Inch-Tanto-Point-Serrated-Folding/dp/B003Z6I01M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=Ruko+tanto&qid=1567483202&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I have two.  

The first is a Schrade 1080T three blade that I found on a baseball diamond on Okinawa in 1966.  It has a decent edge and isn't worth much, but it's handy for small jobs.

The second is a Kershaw Silver Spur II that I bought in 1990 at a guns shop where I worked.  The cast aluminum scales are almost worn smooth but I've sent it back to the Kershaw folks twice to be re-sharpened.  It's shaving sharp again and goes everywhere with me.  It's not the mini-brute that the little Shrade is but it's just right for every day grooming and small jobs.

Those two are my favorite pocket knives, but I carry a variety of other knives from folding to fixed blades, to a lever lock automatic knife to a whole mess of "novelty knives" that daughter keeps giving me.

Archived