SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Knife

Pat Riot

We often talk about guns but rarely talk about knives outside of knives that we might wear at a match. I have carried a few knives on my gun belts but none were “favorite” knives that I couldn’t be without. 

My very favorite knife of all time is my Benchmade Mini Griptilian. It is the smaller knife of the two pictured below. I will check a bag at the airport just so that I have my Benchmade handy when I get to where I am going. My wife thought I was nuts when I insisted I have my Benchmade and my mini Swiss Army knife handy when I was in the hospital recently. 

Having a mini Swiss Army Knife is another mainstay for me. I have gone through dozens of them over the years, mostly because I get caught when trying to sneak them in my carry on luggage. :rolleyes:

I just sent my Mini Griptilian back to Benchmade to have a factory edge put back on it. You see, I made the mistake of allowing a “professional” knife sharpener from my wife’s church redress the point and sharpen it for me. It hasn’t been the same since....Grrrrr

So, because it will be vacationing in Oregon for 3 weeks I bought it’s big brother, the Benchmade Griptilian to carry while my Mini is away. I do believe I now own my second favorite folding knife. ;)

C4BF62E0-B134-43A0-B735-CEC8D3F2C18A.thumb.jpeg.381f901208c6f7917876b47f8e6387a1.jpeg

998A64AF-7454-48C3-BA96-1F7A81DEC575.thumb.jpeg.c91cf85f3158e6da7314b2ae445555d9.jpeg

C3AF87E0-BC4B-4387-A317-28F080288974.thumb.jpeg.0abec7c77b166221b151711056bf6e64.jpeg

294D6BA7-8271-4A67-B4DE-72696C0F46D6.thumb.jpeg.9bc6c19f5718b8f2057fc7665ac89580.jpeg

What’s your favorite knife?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy,

I have a couple favorites. Right now I have the mini Griptillian with

tanto blade.  I remove clips as I have lost two very nice knives which

were clipped to my pocket.  Things catch those clips and knife is gone.

I like the swiss army knives a lot.  One is usually in a bag or glove compartment.

I sharpen knives with crock sticks. Even people who work in knife shops

ruin blades.  

There are good deals on ebay. Knives from airport confiscations, of course.

The critical thing is a great lock keeping that blade from folding on ones hand.

Best

CR

I always carry a knife.

Tend to lean more to case knives and have a small collection of them and some others.

Like the bone or stage handles that most pocket knife makers just don't make anymore expect

for Case.  

Right now I have around 25 but only 3-4 that I carry. Depends on what pants and what I might be doing as to which

one I carry. Wife just bought me another mini copper lock knife with bonestag handle that is my new favorite.

Will be taking it and having my kids and grandkids names put on the blade. It WILL be the knife I carry the most.

Do have a few that I never carry. Just to nice to make a everyday carry. Just like to take them out and look at them

from time to time.

Also have 6-7 Kershaw a few Benchmade but for some reason. I always end up with one of the Case

knives in my pocket.

29 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

I like the swiss army knives a lot.  One is usually in a bag or glove compartment.

Same here. I always have a nice Swiss Army Knife nearby as well as my Victorinox multi-tool. The best multi-tools in the world, in my not so humble opinion. ;)

I have a number of different knives, from bowies to survival knives, multi-tools and more. I almost always have a Swiss Army Knife handy though. During deployments, I would have one dummy corded to my uniform.

Here’s what I carry. The knife is a Benchmade Alan Elishowitz model that I’ve had for 20 years or so. I started carrying it everyday about 4 years ago after I forgot to pack my old everyday carry knife in my checked luggage and had it in my pocket going through security at the airport, hard lesson learned. The Leatherman Wave gets used regularly and I feel undressed without it. Double Diamond built the scabbard for it.

022C6FFC-4E1B-49F0-AD8A-2C37736A4F3B.jpeg

8AA751B9-F835-4CB3-A9A1-D388B1B90368.jpeg

F50463E0-A1F9-4DA4-8E2E-EE69FC7CEDE1.jpeg

I've been carrying this Gerber EZ-Out since the early 1990s. Once I took my wife to the INS office and didn't realize I still had this on me until it tripped the metal detector. I was told I could either surrender it or take it back to my vehicle, which was parked a half-mile away. My wife was pissed that I made her wait...

standard.jpg

The little Buck locking folder has been in my pocket every day since new in the early '90s.  It does 98% of what I need a knife for.

The Kershaw Leek below that was EDC from '06 til replaced by the ZT 0770, below it, about a year ago.

Looking in the knife counter at LGS a couple of days ago, antifa attacking people in the streets came to mind.  For some unrelated reason the Kershaw Launch 8 came home with me.  "Favorite" status as yet undetermined.

20190807_084924.jpg

20190807_084455.jpg

Kershaw on my belt and a Swiss Tinker in my pocket.

F1B1670F-CDA7-437A-A30C-333C7443806B.jpeg

For larger jobs of course this is my fave of the many blades I have. I’d need a wide angle lens to show em all. ;)

D39E262D-4D13-4937-8C32-6CCEBF98E92E.jpeg

I carry a S&W assisted opening Special Ops model. It’s a good serviceable knife and at about $25 it won’t break the bank when I loose it or break it which will happen 

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

For larger jobs of course this is my fave of the many blades I have. I’d need a wide angle lens to show em all. ;)

D39E262D-4D13-4937-8C32-6CCEBF98E92E.jpeg

I understand that My twin toddler grandsons were here last weekend and I'm still putting back all the swords, knives and bayonets that normally hang on the walls in their reach I actually have no idea how many there are 

7 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I carry a S&W assisted opening Special Ops model. It’s a good serviceable knife and at about $25 it won’t break the bank when I loose it or break it which will happen 

Yeah. I have one of those. Not a bad blade at all for the price.

44 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

During the summer, my primary use for a knife is while sailing; so, I have one of these.  The rest of the year I carry a Craftsman utility knife folder.

TF300P-bth-op-shth-w-id-72.jpg

I love it! Marlin spikes come in real handy. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I love it! Marlin spikes come in real handy. 

More than once, I have opened the marlinspike, extended it between my fingers, and held the body of the knife in my fist.  Makes a darn effective pointy-sticking thing with about 3" of penetration capacity.  Think of Wolverine giving you the finger......

LL

1 minute ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

More than once, I have opened the marlinspike, extended it between my fingers, and held the body of the knife in my fist.  Makes a darn effective pointy-sticking thing with about 3" of penetration capacity.  Think of Wolverine giving you the finger......

LL

Useless for working on my Marlin though. :D

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

When I was in the Navy I bought a rigging knife off of a Boatswain’s Mate that looked like the one below. When I left the Navy I gave the knife to a new deck ape that had just come aboard. I wish I would have kept it.

0E5763C4-E643-46F9-ABB9-2388D40ACC4D.jpeg.fed6d38f2b8964240400404e4fb9b0da.jpeg

I would bet a Marlin spike would definitely cause some damage. 

My everyday carry is an old model Griptillian with the serrated Tanto.  I should have kept shopping for the plain tanto.  One of these days I'm going to pick up a second one with just a plain tanto and have the factory refurbish the one I currently have.

23 minutes ago, Red Eye Jim said:

My everyday carry is an old model Griptillian with the serrated Tanto.  I should have kept shopping for the plain tanto.  One of these days I'm going to pick up a second one with just a plain tanto and have the factory refurbish the one I currently have.

Yeah. I’m not a fan of serrated blades.

2 hours ago, Red Eye Jim said:

I like the serrated blade, easy to sharpen and comes in handy a lot cutting rope etc..

On my cowboy gunbelt, at shoots, I carry a Western W49 Bowie. I've sexied it up some ,with brass studs in the handle, and made the sheath look genuine Old West. Plus, it's a great place to hang my empty loading block, when I shoot a stage.

My every day, is an Ontario Knife Co. XM 1DS. It's bailed me out of some situations I don't need to go back and revisit.:o

Anything shorter than this and what ever you are sticking is to close:D

Mine is on the display stand with all the knives, clubs, bows, etc I have collected from the various countries I have worked in and visited.

Funnily enough the only item I have had confiscated at Customs was a blow gun and set of darts (no poison)?

cavSwordL.jpg

My daily carry knife is a Bench made 4300...

...and my dress carry knife is a Zero Tolerance ZT 0562...

...still can't put a proper edge when sharpening...

I can honestly say that I have bought and given away dozens of knives looking for the perfect knife.

The funny thing is during a lot of that search the Mini Griptilian was in my pocket the whole time.

I will say that the Benchmade 940 Osborne is another knife that fits me but I haven't bought one.

Another one is the Benchmade Bugout. I bought one for my Grandson and he really loves it.

I have owned Kershaws, CRKTs, Bucks, Schrades, and many others but my Benchmades (and my Victorinox Swiss Army knives) are my favorites in regards to folding knives.

19 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Kershaw Leek

LawMan Mark,

I have owned two of these. I bought a titanium version that was stolen by a lowlife scumbag baggage handler and I had another in stainless. Nice knives. They had a bad habit of opening on their own in my pocket. Sliced my leg open once and cut my hand once when I stuck my hand in my pocket. That was the end of that model for me.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

LawMan Mark,

I have owned two of these. I bought a titanium version that was stolen by a lowlife scumbag baggage handler and I had another in stainless. Nice knives. They had a bad habit of opening on their own in my pocket. Sliced my leg open once and cut my hand once when I stuck my hand in my pocket. That was the end of that model for me.

Never had a problem with any of mine opening on me.  I've always used the little sliding lock button at the tip end of the frame, and carry them using the clip, which means the blade is oriented downward.  

For the last year, I've been alternating with this one.  I really like it, but the pocket clip isn't as strong as the Leek.  Kershaw AM-3

kershaw am-3.jpg

Archived