SASS Wire Forum

Leather Dye Bleed

Lawdog Dago Dom

Wore some leather suspenders over a cotton shirt two weeks ago. Dye from the leather bled into the cotton. I soaked it in water/Dawn for two weeks, no change. Now trying Leather Master Dye Transfer Cleaner with minimal success. I have called local dry cleaners, who suggested the Leather Master.

Looking for some pards that may have an "old school" remedy, or point me in another direction. No sentimental value to the shirt, I just hate to toss it. Bleach? Rit Dye?

Thank you in advance.

LDD

Had that happen accouple of years ago to a white shirt.   Got a package of Rit medium brown dye. Problem gone and ended up with nice new brown shirt.     GW

That has happened to me repeatedly for years with a variety of shirts and braces.  Spraying a laundry pre-soak stain remover on it a bit before washing, letting it soak in and rubbing it, will help get some of it out, but not all.  When you wear that shirt again, the leather in the braces will sort of cover it.  And if it gets bad enough, save the shirt for the cooler months when you cover it with a vest.

Has happened to several of my shooting shirts. Never found a way to completely remove them. Holsters have stained a couple of pants as well. 

Because I always wear suspenders they cover up any dye stains on the shirts. Pants cost to much to get rid of so I just wear them anyway. 

Although I have not tried it on leather dye stains, I often have success scrubbing many stains out of clothing with Naptha solvent (hardware or paint store).  Use a bristle brush to scrub.  KEEP FAR AWAY from any open flame or spark source!   (This is the new-fangled dry cleaning method that J B Books asked about in The Shootist.)  Let air dry outdoors.  Then wash as normal.

Good luck, GJ

There are some excellent solvents that can be tried...very carefully.

But most all are flammable and probably cancer-causing.

And every one of them will blind you if it gets in your eyes.

Acetone, Tolulene, Tri-chlor, Naptha, MEK.

Just dye it, if you can't stand the stain and don't want to mess with chemicals.

I've had good success with a spay named "Greased Lightning" (I get it a Lowes).  I normally spray the stain before washing and rub it gently with a wet brush and let it set a few hours before washing.  It is, however, more difficult to get the stain out if you've already put it in the dryer.  Heat can set a stain.

Even if it's been in the dryer, Greased Lightning will get most of it out.

If the shirt is white, they make a Clorox bleach pen that may also help.

+1 for Choctaw's comment.  I had to use this stuff when my wife washed my "tidy-whiteys" with a red bandana.  I got lots of comments on my nice pink underwear in the YMCA locker room. 

8 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Stop wear'n shirts.........:lol:

OLG

Is this one of those quaint California customs that I have yet to encounter?

Would make for an interesting match.

10 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Although I have not tried it on leather dye stains, I often have success scrubbing many stains out of clothing with Naptha solvent (hardware or paint store).  Use a bristle brush to scrub.  KEEP FAR AWAY from any open flame or spark source!   (This is the new-fangled dry cleaning method that J B Books asked about in The Shootist.)  Let air dry outdoors.  Then wash as normal.

Good luck, GJ

What about that Fels-Naphtha soap?

On 8/7/2019 at 12:22 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Stop wear'n shirts.........:lol:

OLG

Just the ladies!

To prevent this problem in the future, treat the leather with Fiebing's Bag-Kote or Tan-Kote.  Apply it with a soft cloth, and allow to dry.  That is how I treat my holsters, especially those dyed black or "Faded Arsenal" (50/50 Tan and Black spirit-based dyes).  May not work on oil-based dyes, however.

Archived