SASS Wire Forum

Toilet explodes in Florida home after lightning strikes septic tank

Sedalia Dave

Toilet explodes in Florida home after lightning strikes septic tank

A Florida homeowner got an explosive surprise over the weekend after a lightning strike triggered a blast that destroyed a toilet.

Marylou Ward and her husband were sitting in their Port Charlotte home as a thunderstorm rolled through on Sunday when she said she heard a "boom" that was "the loudest noise I ever heard."

“We smelled smoke and I looked outside,” Ward told WINK News. “It was the smoke from the septic tank that was coming.”

When we lived in Florida lightning struck a tree in the neighbor’s yard, followed the roots to a tree in my yard, then followed the waterline under the house, came up and and exited through the wall in the master bathroom shower. Looked like a 75mm howitzer hit it! Fortunately no one was in it at the time. Another 5 minutes and I would have been in there. I was on the road and just about home but I was famished and decided to hit the Mickey D’s drive thru. A burger saved my life!

Who says they’re unhealthy?  ;)

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

When we lived in Florida lightning struck a tree in the neighbor’s yard, followed the roots to a tree in my yard, then followed the waterline under the house, came up and and exited through the wall in the master bathroom shower. Looked like a 75mm howitzer hit it! Fortunately no one was in it at the time. Another 5 minutes and I would have been in there. I was on the road and just about home but I was famished and decided to hit the Mickey D’s drive thru. A burger saved my life!

Who says they’re unhealthy? ;)

Notice you don't live in  Florida any more...That the reason for moving....

Texas Lizard

11 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Notice you don't live in  Florida any more...That the reason for moving....

Texas Lizard

I kinda liked lightning storms.

Didn’t like overcrowding, traffic, liberal politics, crime, humidity, loud mouthed immigrants from the Northeast,...should I go on?

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I kinda liked lightning storms.

Didn’t like overcrowding, traffic, liberal politics, crime, humidity, loud mouthed immigrants from the Northeast,...should I go on?

Accept for the humidity, I know just what you are talking about...Stuck in California...

Texas Lizard

1 minute ago, Texas Lizard said:

Accept for the humidity, I know just what you are talking about...Stuck in California...

Texas Lizard

I forgot hurricanes. Thunderstorms on steroids. 

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

And all we do is shake and roll around...

Texas Lizard

I remember them. Used to live in Concord. The reason my mom decided we were moving to Florida when I was 8. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Red Eye Jim said:

Darn those green house gases.

It's all Swamp Gas in Florida. Gets blamed for UFO and Skunk Ape sightings. :D

36 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

They had a septic system that fed into a public sewer?  It makes sense to me but is not among my experiences.

Where does it say that??

31 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It doesn’t but there is a picture of a manhole cover. I suppose that could be over the septic tank but not what happens here

That’s a plastic septic tank cover. Manhole are always in the street. Septic tanks are real common in Florida. Sewers not so much.

Yep. That's a honey pot lid. 

Manholes are in the easement. Could be the street, along the road or through back yards. But ALWAYS heavy cast iron.

19 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Mine is under about 8 inches of dirt which is common here. I’ve never seen a surface level lid.

See a lot of them in this part of Texas. Black Land Clay means anaerobic systems that use leach lines don't work. So most homes have septic systems with 3 tanks vice 1. Tank one is anaerobic treatment and tank 2 is aerobic treatment. Once the water makes it to tank 3 it is treated with chlorine or an equivalent chemical and is held there until a pump on a timer empties it via a sprinkler head(s).

In the summer it makes for very green grass.

Archived