SASS Wire Forum

Just Watched Jaws the Movie

Cypress Sun

It seems pretty hokey now but back when it came out, scared the hell (some of it anyway) me. Still ranks as the movie that scared me the most. Never worried about going into salt water before. Still don't go into it if I don't absolutely have to.

How about ya'll?

The USS Indianapolis scene was perhaps the most powerful piece of film making I’ve ever seen 

Jaws didn't bother me, but a cheezey copycat movie called "Grizzly" scared me something fierce.  Watched it right after we had moved to Tennessee, to a house surrounded by woods with the nearest neighbor about a half mile away.  Had an outhouse out back, and it didn't get utilized before daybreak by me for about a year.  

1 hour ago, Calico Mary said:

never saw Jaws.....but I can't tell you how many years I had nightmares after The Exorcist......:blink:

Yep!! I was married at the time and my wife and I went to see it and we were both freaked out!!!:lol:

Best seen on the big screen in a dark theater.

I did not see Jaws until I was aboard ship in the Navy. :blink:

The first night I was aboard they played a documentary about deaths at sea by sea creatures. It was like “Faces of Death” at sea. Scared the hell out of me then they played Jaws that weekend. :o

The movie that gave me nightmares for years when I was a little kid was The Creature from the Black Lagoon!

2 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

never saw Jaws.....but I can't tell you how many years I had nightmares after The Exorcist......:blink:

I was at work one day... lessee, January '74 as I recall, and got a call from the Reverend J D Bucksnort.  Coming in to town with his new girlfriend and would I like to go to the movies with them ~ he'd pick up the tickets.

"Sure!" sez I.  "What movie and where?"

"The Exorcist!  At the Northpoint Theater, right near where you work!  Starts about six - we'll be in line!"

"Okey doke!  See ya there!"

Hm.  Line?  For a movie?  Never heard of such!  And what the heck's an 'exorcist,' anyway?  Never heard that word before either!  Had never heard of the movie or the book, and had absolutely no idea what it was about.

So I got off at five o'clock, and walked over to the theater - two short blocks from the office (now Williams-Sonoma headquarters in San Francisco).  What the...!  There were over a hundred people lined up on the sidewalk!  I soon found Paul and Anne, joined 'em and visited until the doors opened.  

My first hint that something was different - people came out of the theater pale, wide eyed, not talking, wearing expressions like they'd just witnessed a horrid auto accident.

Second hint was walking in and smelling very strong cleaning solutions... and the floor was sticky.  Didn't take long to find out why!

Twenty minutes later I was asking if anyone wanted popcorn.  Nobody did.  I even offered to buy for anyone on our row - anything for an excuse to vacate my seat for a while and get a breath of "fresh" air!  :blink:

One movie I have never had any desire to watch again.  sick.gif

Coupla years later I was visiting ol' Hank after he got out of the hospital and was recovering from a gunshot wound.  We decided to go see Jaws (or "Jowls," as he called it).  I will confess to helping and spilling my popcorn and a specific point - but otherwise enjoyed the film, have seen it several times, and will see it again.  

But not The Exorcist!  i-do-not-want-to-see.gif

Loved Jaws, mechanical shark and all.  The  way Dreyfus and Shaw play off each other when discussing scars and the USS Indianapolis never gets old— they gave an acting clinic in that scene.

39 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The movie that gave me nightmares for years when I was a little kid was The Creature from the Black Lagoon!

Glad to see I wasn't the only one freaked out by that one.

Thanks for sharing.

There were many movies that put me on the edge of my seat. Jaws was scary but not “edge of your seat scary” for me. I was never one for horror movies but scary Sci-Fi movies were super scary and super cool to me growing up.

The one that gave me nightmares as a little kid was “Them”. Really corny but to a 6 year old it was darned scary. 

The movie that totally got me was John Carpenters “The Thing”. HOLY COW SCARY! Loved it! :D

Then there was the Mother of all Scary Sci-Fi, “Alien”. Pure excellence! 

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The movie that totally got me was John Carpenters “The Thing”. HOLY COW SCARY! Loved it! :D

Then there was the Mother of all Scary Sci-Fi, “Alien”. Pure excellence! 

I cannot improve upon that.

I think I've already told the story about taking two ten-year-old girls to see Alien.

Baby Girl talked me in to The Thing ($2.00 matinee - we were supposed to be shopping).  You couldn't go in the bathroom during/after that movie.

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

Baby Girl talked me in to The Thing ($2.00 matinee - we were supposed to be shopping).  You couldn't go in the bathroom during/after that movie.

Which one? There have been three.

Dang Mr. Patriot,   you and I seem to be on the same wave length when it comes to favorite and kinda scary

flicks.

I still love to watch 'THEM'.

And, I've seen all 3 of the 'The Thing' movies.

Ya know what 'Them' and the original 'The Thing' have in common?......... James Arness.

And Alien had me peaking at the screen when Ripley ran thru the darkened hall ways

towards the end of the movie.   I did not want to see that creature jump out and grab her.

As for JAWS, I did not jump when Dreyfus was surprised by the corpse poking out the bottom

of that boat.

BUT..... I did jump a little when Jaws come up out of the water during the 'You're gonna need a bigger

boat" seen.

BUT...the creature feature that really bothered me the most was "Prophecy" about a mutated bear.

I watched it the day before going hunting.   Going into the woods before sunup had me 

convinced some huge creature was watching me and gonna have me for breakfast.

Going into the woods, I stepped on a tree limb that was about 20' long.   The end of that long

limb push up outta the leaves and I could have swore I walked into a big bear or sounder of hogs.

And I was in woods that had bear and hog here in E. TN.

I didn't even feel safe in my tree stand.

..........Widder

Saw Jaws when it came out. Didn't scare me much. I have been scuba diving and snorkeling for 60 years all over the California coast and in Baja. Never had a problem with sharks....seen plenty too.

Imo the problem today is because the gov't protects all the seals, which is the primary food source of the Great Whites (they are protected too). All the coast line are overpopulated with seals....hence sharks too!

15 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Which one? There have been three.

John Carpenter's.  Nobody would have thrown up over Jim Arness in a carrot suit.

Carpenter's was creepier. But the original scairt the bejeebus out of me when I was 7. :D

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Carpenter's was creepier. But the original scairt the bejeebus out of me when I was 7. :D

That one was creepy......Loved the lines "What is it?" "i don't know but it's weird and pissed off".

2nd marriage took stepkids to beach house on the ocean for a vacation. Kids found half a dozen movies that had been left there, one was Jaws. The kids all wanted to watch it - I said no - you'll be too scared to go swimming. Mom said yes - cause they promised they wouldn't be scared. It was the last day of vacation before they would go out in the ocean and then only in 6 inches of water if that. 

Scariest movie I saw as a kid was 1963 film The Haunting - based on the novel The Haunting of Hill House - no monsters, nothing much in special effects just a very forboding and creepy mood via the words, set, lighting, story, acting. I think it was more scary because it was more plausible - just an old house - and people slowly going insane. 

Scariest film as an adolescent - Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe? - most emotionally brutal film I had yet then seen - it was an eye opener to the hell that could exist in a marriage. 

Love the Alien series.  Best horror movie series I ever saw.  

Took two girls to see the premier of the Amityville Horror in 1979 (James Brolin, Margot Kidder).  When that damned cat jumped up on the window sill, I got simultaneously punched and clawed.  

It was worth it, though... :) 

On 8/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, Calico Mary said:

Emily just went to see a thriller at the movies. Told her we needed to watch the Exorcist sometime. Checked the back seat all the way home and wouldn't put my feet over the side of the bed!

On 8/6/2019 at 4:20 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

People call them hokey, crude, and laugh at the special effects today. But back then there weren’t dozens of horror/Syfy films with multi million dollar budgets and computerized effects. We were used to Gary Cooper, John Wayne, gangster movies and Shirley Temple. 

The scary movie with brand new monsters was a whole new ball game

On 8/7/2019 at 12:00 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

"Prophecy"

Didn't see the movie.  Read the book.  Sad.

16 hours ago, Tucker McNeely said:

The original Pet Cemetery.  

Only horror movie/Steven King novel that ever totally creeped me out.  Tho that little girl vampire in (which?) LeStat film came close.

22 hours ago, Raylan said:

people slowly going insane. [in the Haunting of Hill House]

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.  But was Eleanor insane, or was she truly haunted?

On 8/6/2019 at 4:39 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I did not see Jaws until I was aboard ship in the Navy. :blink:

The first night I was aboard they played a documentary about deaths at sea by sea creatures. It was like “Faces of Death” at sea. Scared the hell out of me then they played Jaws that weekend. :o

I had a similar experience.  I was working on the Enewetak Atoll in a civilian role.  After the movie played an enlisted man reported a tiger shark prowling the location where the Boston Whalers were moored.  After that report everyone wanted to travel between islands on the largest landing craft available or by helicopter and wanted nothing to do with the Boston Whalers.  Most agreed "we need a bigger boat."

30 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I had a similar experience.  I was working on the Enewetak Atoll in a civilian role.  After the movie played an enlisted man reported a tiger shark prowling the location where the Boston Whalers were moored.  After that report everyone wanted to travel between islands on the largest landing craft available or by helicopter and wanted nothing to do with the Boston Whalers.  Most agreed "we need a bigger boat."

We pulled into Diego Garcia. There was a hammerhead shark that patrolled the lagoon every day evening. His name was Hector. I got to see Hector one evening. He was HUGE! Motor Whaleboats seemed small after that. :D

Archived