SASS Wire Forum

Face book users-can you tell me.....

what it's all about?

I've recently been dipping my toe into the waters. I thought it was gonna be like the SASS wire -people talking about this and that. I've already learned that's not so. I've pretty much come to the conclusion it's for people who PRETEND they're communicating. They post things for others to look at and comment about, but almost no actual talk.

I was hoping to talk to some people I used to go to school with about 50 years ago. I've located quite a few on there but had very little success in actually talking to them. I find them, send them a message and then....nothing. Isn't it just common courtesy to answer someone when they speak to you? I've had a couple who I started a conversation with and part way through they stop talking. 

What gives? Why are they on a public forum if they don't want to talk? Or is it they just don't want to talk to ME? If someone from 50 years ago tracked ME down and wanted to talk I'd be thrilled. Glad they even remembered who I was. But this doesn't seem to go the other way?

These folks on there want to label each other as "friends", but they sure don't act very friendly.

There have been 2 exceptions, but one was a guy I barely knew(I wanted to pay him some $ I owed for a long time), and the other was a woman I didn't know at all(I was looking for a friend of hers). I now consider HER a friend-after some long talks with basically a stranger.

So, can anyone tell me what Facebook is supposed to be about? I don't get it.

Tell, I gave up on FB about 18 months ago and don’t regret it. Seems the left can post pretty much anything they want but not so much for the right. Don't miss it.

I wasn't even trying to post anything- i just wanted to talk to some classmates from 50 years ago. I didn't THINK that was too contoversial.

My wife just informed me common courtesy DOESN'T apply to Facebook. Oh well, I guess I'm out of date.

I don't like Facebook for a lot of reasons.   But I signed up and use it for a couple of reasons.  But I still don't like it.  When I signed up, it blasted me with people that I many know that I went to make friends with.  A good many were dead!  Well could be people you knew 50 years ago are dead too.

Started out as a method of communication for college students then grew from there.  The hip people have moved on to Instagram (owned by Facebook),Twitter and others.  Now, used for family or social groups to post photos.  Also, used extensively to promote points of view by posting various groups talking points, regardless of whether they make any sense.

I find it a good platform to keep in contact with relatives and friends. I do not engage in discussions involving politics or religion. I frequently find things that amuse or interest me.

1 hour ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

I've located quite a few on there but had very little success in actually talking to them. I find them, send them a message and then....nothing. Isn't it just common courtesy to answer someone when they speak to you? I've had a couple who I started a conversation with and part way through they stop talking. 

FB, in its wisdom, has set it up so that if you haven't "friended" someone messages you send them end up in a semi-hidden folder. I found it quite by accident and saw 6 month old messages from some old friends.

They might not be ignoring you, they might not have seen the message. 

Also,  it is possible that you somehow accidentally muted them.

12 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

FB, in its wisdom, has set it up so that if you haven't "friended" someone messages you send them end up in a semi-hidden folder. I found it quite by accident and saw 6 month old messages from some old friends.

They might not be ignoring you, they might not have seen the message. 

Also,  it is possible that you somehow accidentally muted them.

Yeah. Send a friend request first.

I don't FB. Never have, never will. Don't see a need. And I certainly do not trust FB as a corporation as leftist as they are.

I stay in touch with friends and relatives via... hold on... wait for it... a phone call. Sometimes even email. Texting works well for quickie conversations as well. So I'm hip to modern communication.

As far as old friends or acquaintances locating me, maybe I don't want to be found. :o

:D:D

I've seen too many co workers, friends and relatives lose too many of their relationships because of FB keyboard commandoing and the ease at which today's anger combined with political discourse goes. I'm avoiding that entirely.

Drunk ebaying is bad enough...

Fine for seeing pictures of relatives or friends - vacations, weddings, graduation, sharing old or new pictures. Lots of cat and dog pictures. Advertising. Memes that are funny or political. Also get people who engage in public drama, who share too much, who want to argue politics but would get offended if you responded to their public rants with facts. So, I just ignore advertising, ignore the virtue signaling politics, ignore the drama queens, and look at family pictures, look at pictures of cats and dogs, occassionally like a picture, post occassional funny memes mostly non-political. It is what it is - a liberal run information selling corporation. I don't take it too seriously and I am only on it because of family. 

I have been asked numerous times to join Faceplant by family and friends. I ignore the requests and the few times I considered it something bad happens on FB, like hacking, personal info getting stolen or some crazy news story comes out about them and then I decide not to bother. A couple of years ago I drew a line in the sand and told everyone that wanted me on it to pound sand.

I don’t need the drama.

FB has good and bad points. Unfortunately, many clubs are taking down their websites and going to FB because of cost and ease of maintenance.

You have to keep in mind some folks do not care about you one bit, but they like having their friend count way up there and you're just another brick in their FB wall.

Since I do outdoor writing I also get a lot of other media people trying to promote their abilities through me. Silly me was assuming they wanted to go fishing or hunting. They get un-friended quick.

And then you have the retired friends that post memes all day long to the point it clogs up my feed with garbage and I don't see the important events of my close friends. Those people get un-followed. 

I mainly use it just for the PM feature to converse with a few people, I DON'T talk on the phone (those things are totally worthless for anything other than calling 911) and the FB PM is a lot easier to use than the one on here....other than that and reading the jokes one friend posts I don't have much use for it...it's full of ridiculous garbage (like some people seem the think the Saloon should be) and ads for crap I don't need or want....

I use it mainly to keep in touch with friends and family that live far away. There's also community groups that post stuff about what's going on like local events, levies etc. There's also groups that you can join that are gun related for example. I run a group called, The Pistoleros, it's for duelist shooters only! There's about 300 followers, check it out!

The one thing that bugs me is if I post something political, which I do, a friend of a friend will chime in and disagree and want to argue! Unless you unfollow or unfriend that friend of yours you have no control over what THEIR friends can see. That's how I understand that it works, maybe I'm wrong and if I am someone tell me!

A couple of groups you can join, Wheel gun Fun, Lever action rifles, Dillon reloaders etc. SASS is on there too! There's a bunch of pro gun groups that are interesting and fun to follow.;)

I found a bunch of veteran groups. Most are closed groups so comments stay within the group. 

One is for Cavalry, one Ft Dix, one Army only, one Cold War veterans only.  One is devoted to veteran benefits loaded with great information. A couple others for military humor. 

I'm with @Dantankerous and @Pat Riot, SASS #13748 as never having had a reason or need to join Facebook. 

12 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I don't FB. Never have, never will. Don't see a need. And I certainly do not trust FB as a corporation as leftist as they are.

I stay in touch with friends and relatives via... hold on... wait for it... a phone call. Sometimes even email. Texting works well for quickie conversations as well. So I'm hip to modern communication.

As far as old friends or acquaintances locating me, maybe I don't want to be found. :o

:D:D

I've seen too many co workers, friends and relatives lose too many of their relationships because of FB keyboard commandoing and the ease at which today's anger combined with political discourse goes. I'm avoiding that entirely.

Drunk ebaying is bad enough...

100%+

Archived