SASS Wire Forum

Winchester M70 .223 Varminter question

Bugler

A now deceased friend of mine gave me before he died 300 Hornady 75 gr. Match bullets that had been Moly coated by Hornady.......

They are very accurate and I used them all up yesterday on a prarie dog match......last 25 rounds were all over the place signaling that it could use a good cleaning.....OK I get that...

This afternoon I pull the bolt and run the rod and brush through it with Montana Extreme Bore cleaner and Sweets 7.62......many passes through the badly fouled barrel and 30 patches later the patches are still coming out gray and black. Will this barrel EVER get clean again?

Anyone have a better way/solution of cleaning a rifle that shot Moly coated bullets?

Bugler

PS. Even a badly fouled barrel I still ruined the praire dogs day...we won by the way....600 or so to zero
Edit/Delete Message

I bought some bore spray foam for my .220 Ackley Improved Swift....can't remember the name. I put a small cork stopper in the chamber and filled the barrel with foam. Left it over night and started swabbing. Did it several more times.....took 4 or 5 days to get it spotless. I now swab the barrel every 50 to 100 rounds.

.220 AI Swift 3 shot group 002.JPG

220 Imp Swift with Chrono.jpg

One of the alleged benefits of moly coating is that it (seasons) the barrel. You may not benefit by trying to clean it out completely. 

Howdy,

You may want to contact folks who use moly a lot.

Im pretty sure you have a clean enuf rifle. I wouldn't use bore paste on that.

See how the accuracy is now.

75 grain .223s? Wow.

Best

CR

ps I haven't done any varmint in a good while. Too much driving to get to em.

In spite of all the advertising in my experience and that of those who shoot at my long range precision matches moly coated bullets are nothing but trouble.  Montana Extreme makes a moly removal solvent but it is really hard to get the stuff out of a barrel. Sometimes only JB will work.  Get the crap out of the barrel and shoot plain bullets. Only clean the rifle LIGHTLY when the groups grow and you will be happy with the results.  There is a reason the top Black Ops Snipers do NOT ever clean their rifle bores until they won't hold 1.5MOA  Then it takes about 20-50 rounds for the barrel to season again and the gun to settle down.  I see some of the best shooters in the world here and they do NOT clean their guns until they quit shooting well. I have over 550 rounds on my 300WM without touching it and it is still sub MOA. Over 1500 on my 308 and the same.

The old joke is true.  The marines wear their guns out cleaning them, not shooting them. 

Do what you wish.  This advise didn't cost you anything.

Archived