SASS Wire Forum

73 shooters: over the top or through the gate

Kirk James

Ole T Bone shoots right handed & loads thru the gate left handed. He occasionally practices at the LT by loading his rifle that way. Gets 60 rnds. practice  in a 6 stage match. I wonder why he's so good at it ??    ;)

Judge-I've been taking notes from them for years.  They just tell me to shoot faster and move my a__.

Shooting 45 Colt and reloading through the gate as over the top seems to fiddly for me with this round.

I understand that some pards use shorter rounds like cowboy specials for reloading over the top. I wonder if using different ammo in a firearm in a stage is within the rules? I didn't find an exact according passage in the SHB, though. But all rounds have to comply with the ammunition covenants like power factor, min. and max. fps. which may be tested (SHB p.25):

"If a competitor’s smokeless ammunition is being checked for power factor, they will be asked to provide five rounds from each suspect firearm, already loaded at the loading table. From the five rounds, one round will have the bullet pulled and weighed. The other four rounds will be fired across a chronograph using the competitor’s firearm to record velocity data."

A shooter could use a shorter lighter bullet for his special reload round. How would a MD check the compliance of that one?

Don't want to be a smarta.. or something, just learning.

Equanimous

I think it’s fine to use different ammo as long as power factor is met. Most of the time I shoot 125 grain TCFP bullets, but I do have some 105s that I’ve occasionally shot. I don’t think anyone would complain if my reload was different from main match ammo. If they did and I didn’t have extra reload rounds that could be checked too bad. Who games rifle loads to minimize recoil anyway? 

If you go down that lane next hot loads get questioned.

4 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Shooting 45 Colt and reloading through the gate as over the top seems to fiddly for me with this round.

I understand that some pards use shorter rounds like cowboy specials for reloading over the top. I wonder if using different ammo in a firearm in a stage is within the rules? I didn't find an exact according passage in the SHB, though. But all rounds have to comply with the ammunition covenants like power factor, min. and max. fps. which may be tested (SHB p.25):

"If a competitor’s smokeless ammunition is being checked for power factor, they will be asked to provide five rounds from each suspect firearm, already loaded at the loading table. From the five rounds, one round will have the bullet pulled and weighed. The other four rounds will be fired across a chronograph using the competitor’s firearm to record velocity data."

A shooter could use a shorter lighter bullet for his special reload round. How would a MD check the compliance of that one?

Don't want to be a smarta.. or something, just learning.

Equanimous

Actually, the shorter rounds I was referring to are the same load.  The 130 gn bullet is just seated more deeply (0.12") in the case.   The chronograph shows no difference in PF, as expected with these light loads where (smokeless) powder volume is way short of filling the case. 

I earlier used pistol rounds (105 gn) for this purpose.  They produce slightly higher vel., but about the same PF as the 130s when shot through the rifle barrel.  Their advantage was that the 105 gn bullets were conical flat points which chambered through the top more easily than the RNFP 130s.  

Being a Left handed shooter, I load thru the gate with my right hand.

Good reloads average 1.5 to 1.7 seconds. Non-perfect reload usually run in the 2.5 second ballpark.

I carry 5 rifle reloads on the center of my shotgun belt. I Had a custom Evil Roy belt made by Kirkpatrick leather in 2003 setup with double pouches on both sides of the rifle reloads.

Over the top is less consistent for me (without modifying the carrier, which I will not do).

I also instinctively leave the lever forward when I go for the reload cartridge. As I'm going for the gate with the cartridge, I shut the lever with my baby finger as I'm jamming the cartridge into the gate. No time lost.

I don't jack many rounds, but do practice for stages with reloads. Either way I go, OTT or the Gate, if doesn't go smoothly I take the miss. It's shorter than fixing the reload mess. 

Over the top for me.

Of course, I shoot a Henry, so that is really my only choice.

Henry%20Stained%20Carrier_zpsipuivswt.jp

Just had to do it last Sunday.

Wrack the lever, thumb the carrier down, and slide in a 44-40 round being careful not to get hung up on the extractor.

I have no idea how long it takes, couldn't care less.

Does anyone modify their loading gate and how?

I"m right handed, so I just rotate the gun not quite a quarter turn to the left to get the loading gate oriented upwards, pull a round from my belt with my left hand and feed it through the gate.  The gun never leaves my shoulder and remains pointed at the target, more or less, the entire time.

I did modify the loading gate on my uberti.

I used the sanding drum and removed the lip in the front edge of the loading gate

switched to a Cowboy Carty rifle and haven’t played with it enough on reloading to start modifying the loading gate

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Three Gun Cole said:

I did modify the loading gate on my uberti.

I used the sanding drum and removed the lip in the front edge of the loading gate

Question, is that minor modification classed as an "external modification" and is it therefore prohibited, or is it "smoothing of a part", therefore no problem? 

Just asking.  

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Question, is that minor modification classed as an "external modification" and is it therefore prohibited, or is it "smoothing of a part", therefore no problem? 

Just asking.  

Are there aftermarket parts that make loading easier?

ALL FIREARMS
- All firearms must be designed to fire by use of an impact mechanism such as required by center-fire primers, rim-fire primers, or percussion caps. All other firing mechanisms are illegal.
- Internal modifications not referenced here that cannot be seen while the firearm is at rest (action closed) are allowed provided they do not affect the external operation or directly conflict with one of the modifications listed here.
- Modifying the firing, cocking, chambering, or levering mechanism in any way that changes the process from an entirely manual operation to any other style operation (e.g., blowback operation, gas operation, or recoil operation) is expressly prohibited.
- All firearms may be repaired and/or restored to their original condition.
- Replacement parts may be made from materials other than the original unless
such material is specifically prohibited.
Copyright© Single Action Shooting Society, Inc. 2019 Version 23.2

SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY Shooter’s Handbook
- All parts may be smoothed, re-profiled, polished, de-burred, or replaced provided they are not prohibited in these Covenants.
- Slings are allowed on long guns. Lanyards are allowed on handguns.

Archived