SASS Wire Forum

73 shooters: over the top or through the gate

Kirk James

73 shooters:  do you load over the top or through the gate and why.  Tell us your story.

Through the gate if I can remember to load before I shoot it dry and cycle the lever.  Once I have opened the lever though I will not close it to load through the gate and will then load over the top.  Very hard to mess up using the loading gate.  Pushing the carrier down to load is a bit more challenging.  I shoot .38-40 so my rounds are self funneling, not sure if I would try the top loading with a 357 or a 45

Kirk,

I shoot a 73 in.45 Colt.Due to the length of the cartridge, I load through the gate.Not much room for error.I may start carrying a few .45 Schofields for OTC reloads.

Choctaw Jack 

If some one  that shoot right hand  load through the gate  you can't tell them that it is faster over the top.If you measure how far your left hand moves  from the forearm to you belt up to the gate and back to the forearm, then you right hand levers the rifle open then close ,fire then open to lay the rifle down.It is impossible to do that as fast as you can with the action open move you right hand from the lever to your belt to the top to the lever, close ,fire, open and lay the rifle down.Just take a tape and measure the distance the the hands move doing it both ways..It just take time.

I choose through the gate.  It works for me

When I dont get in my own way it's well under two seconds. Over the top I screw up more.  When I get it right it is faster

14 minutes ago, Will Kane said:

I shoot a 73 in 45. I load 45 Cowboy Specials over the top.

Same here.

Gate

After some advice from a shooter who does over the top reloads in about 2 seconds, I loaded up some 38 S & W Longs with 105 gr bullets & spend a considerable amount of time practicing. Didn't really work for me. And, I didn't modify the carrier as advised to do it this way.

As others have pointed out, you'll need to spend some time both ways & reach the best conclusion for you.

2 hours ago, Kirk James said:

73 shooters:  do you load over the top or through the gate and why.  Tell us your story.

Thru the gate.  It's a PITA trying to load the gun backwards at the loading table.  Hey!  You didn't specify when the loading was to take place!  :P

Just now, Hells Comin said:

Right hand-over the top-left hand doesn't leave forearm. 

For OTC reloads, over the top, move the lever ONCE.  THIS  ↑↑↑

After eight years of shooting, I still train wrecks and I do practice some.  While shooting with SASS Kicker, I would often hear her say, "nice 10 second reload dad."  After a bad reload at EOT this year I could still hear her voice.  In a match two weeks ago I had to reload and tried to go through the gate. I opened the lever out of habit, then closed it to load.  Hard to break bad habits. I would beat it came in around 5 seconds.    I would put beats on you Hells Comin for a reload contest.  Cody James isn't bad himself.  I have struggled and going to make the move to the gate.  In dry fire practice, about four of them, I am hitting around 2 1/2 seconds and realize this will improve.  Just have to get the muscle memory down so I can do it during a match.

My most normal is leave the lever open, try to load thru the gate. Then when I see that won’t work close the lever and try to go over the top. Usually about 3 times each before I get it right! 

I decided to Go over the top. Some practice and it’s easier. I may load a couple of 38 short colts and try them! 

If it’s an 11 shot string (10 plus a reload) if the reload is allowed any time I do it thru the gate when I pick up my rifle. 

I think you mean reload.   

I load at the LT through the side gate, but I do firing line reloads through the top.  Top loading is lots faster for me, but you do have to remember to open the lever all the way (have enough tension on the lever spring) and  I also use a shorter round for top reloads that don't have to cycle through the carrier.  

Left handed shooter. 

Fire last shot - Lever open; to the belt with left hand.

Round on top of carrier with left hand.

Push carrier down; left hand returns to lever.

Right hand stays on forearm.

I shoot right hand way rearward on forearm; so I "can" use my right hand thumb to guide the round if it decides to try to flip up.

For me - loading thru the gate right handed is awkward and muscle memory makes me hesitate to close the action after the shooting string is complete.

31 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I think you mean reload.   

I load at the LT through the side gate, but I do firing line reloads through the top.  Top loading is lots faster for me, but you do have to remember to open the lever all the way (have enough tension on the lever spring) and  I also use a shorter round for top reloads that don't have to cycle through the carrier.  

I'm going to start calling you Mr Obvious

:lol:

My new to me way (right hand shooter) is left hand over top slightly canting rifle with right hand which is still in lever and through the gate. I can do this flawlessly in practice or on a planned reload but when a unplanned jack round happens 19 years of muscle memory take over and I end up with a right hand through the gate. :blink:

Just tried using the second beep and auto start first beep.  Tried dry firing while waiting for the first beep, then hitting the reload after the first beep. Set the second beep at 3 seconds.   More like 3 second reload if everything goes right.  Will take time to get use to.

Don't go with the "Fastest"...it's not a speed side match.

Go with the most consistent method even if it's .5 seconds slower.  If you lose the match by .5 seconds...smile and congratulate the winner.

Phantom

4 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

I choose through the gate.  It works for me

When I dont get in my own way it's well under two seconds. Over the top I screw up more.  When I get it right it is faster

This is the way I do a reload although not that fast. 

Thanks

Randy

Kirk, take notes from Cody, Hells Comin, and Robyn Davault. They are all close , and over the  top, but remember they are kids

Over the top.  Have too.  Shoot a Henry.  Oh ... Wait ... I also shoot Henry Transitionals, have loading gate, will still load over the top.  Oh wait, this was for '73 shooters, I shoot Henry rifles.  Mostly.  Sorry .... Never Mind.

About 3 years ago I started working on loading over the top. Got it down to consistently under 2 seconds. Fastest I ever did was 1.2 but that was about to “run off the rails”.  Still I was very happy with the way it turned out. Still shooting the same rifle but earlier this year I started having problems with the round not wanting to go in the chamber and standing on end. Rifle runs flawlessly other than it won’t load smoothly over the top any more so to avoid problems I’ve went back to loading through the gate.   Not near as fast for me. 

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm going to start calling you Mr Obvious

:lol:

Obvious to some perhaps.   Less so to others, like new shooters who have not, until now, handled a '73.(at least I didn't know it when I started out). 

Fortunately, you are not the only one reading the Wire.   Overall it's probably better to have redundant info than not enough.   Sorry if it insulted your experience level.  

Archived