SASS Wire Forum

Inventor crosses Eng Channel on hoverboard

Franky Zapata Crosses English Channel on Hoverboard on 2nd Try

From

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/world/europe/franky-zapata-hoverboard-uk-france.html?te=1&nl=morning-briefing&emc=edit_NN_p_20190805&section=whatElse?campaign_id=9&instance_id=11418&segment_id=15878&user_id=2a74a0088d1fb46e0d0616331ce77dbb&regi_id=30446431ion=whatElse

PARIS — Franky Zapata, the hoverboarding Frenchman who wowed Bastille Day crowds last month with a jet-powered hoverboard, successfully crossed the English Channel on his second attempt Sunday on the device he invented.

An attempt 10 days ago failed after Mr. Zapata fell into the watermidway through the crossing when he tried to land on a boat-mounted platform to refuel. On Sunday, the midway refueling — Mr. Zapata’s machine runs on kerosene — went smoothly.

Gliding above the water on what he calls a Flyboard Air, Mr. Zapata took about 22 minutes to cover the roughly 20 miles that separate Sangatte, in northern France, from St. Margaret’s Bay, just east of Dover, in southern England.

“At one point, we thought to ourselves, ‘We are crazy,’ it won’t work,” a visibly elated Mr. Zapata told reporters after landing. “And when it does work, it’s just a magical moment.”

“I could see England getting closer, and I tried to enjoy it to avoid thinking about the pain,” Mr. Zapata added, noting that his legs had started to hurt from the flight.

Asked if he thought he had accomplished a historical feat, Mr. Zapata said it was not up to him to decide. “But what’s important is what remains in our hearts,” he said. “We did it.”

Oh, goody.  Something else to clutter up our skies along with airplanes, drones, kites, hot air balloons, kids' balloons. RC airplanes, rockets, firework , and air drop fire fighting tankers.

Not room enough for birds and clouds and butterflies and honey bees anymore.  (insert tongue-in-cheek emoji here.)

I figure 10 years yet. About a 12 mile range depending on how much fuel you can carry on your back. Pilot must currently be in excellent physical condition in order to maintain stability.

and something akin to the rules for drones will apply.

I think I can do it! 

8 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I can’t fathom the leg strength needed to make the zillion corrections per second to maintain balance. It’d be like balancing on a rubber ball that’s moving itself around. 

Maybe he can invent a gyroscope, too.  :rolleyes:

Trouble with this mode of transportation, like science-fiction 'jet packs' in general, is that most failures, over land at least, will be fatal.

There's a lot of space between 'high enough to kill you' and 'too low to deploy a parachute'.

21 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Trouble with this mode of transportation, like science-fiction 'jet packs' in general, is that most failures, over land at least, will be fatal.

There's a lot of space between 'high enough to kill you' and 'too low to deploy a parachute'.

Won’t be a problem ..once they invent anti gravity belts.

Archived