SASS Wire Forum

If your alias existed in the 1800's.......

Sawhorse Kid

If your alias existed in the 1800's, realistically ....what weapons would you possess?

I see the Sawhorse Kid packing:  ( Low Level Bandit )  

-  '72 Open Top (.38)  ( primary)

-  '51 (.36) Navy (secondary)

-  '66 Winchester

Anything more advanced would be loot from a robbery.

A single Open Top and a '66 sounds about right.

If'n I was lucky.

Probably have a folding pocket knife as well.

I'd  be usin my Pa's old L.C Smith 10 gauge side by each with 24 inch barrels, but I'd be holdin out for one of them new fangled

Winchester 97's pump shotguns in a wimpy 12 gauge.

My alias did exist in the 1800's!

Sgt. J.T. Rye Miles Arizona Ranger, Sheriff of Tucson, Texas cowboy, later years prison guard in Yuma. He carried a Colt .44-40 and a Winchester 1895 rifle assigned to him by the AZ. Rangers in .30-40 Kreg. Killed four men in his lawman career. Died in 1942 in Casa Grande Arizona!

Mine existed in the 1800s too. 

The original Charlie Van Bowen Harley was my great grandfather. He served as a deputy US marshal out of Fort Smith, Arkansas in the closing decade of the Old West when Oklahoma was still “Indian territory”.  

We have photos of him of him with a sidearm on his hip, but not any details. I guess it would be whatever was normal for somebody in his role. 

My alias is an ancestor from the 1800s.

He was a well-to-do railroad agent and also rolled drunk miners in my Uncle Tiner's saloon in Silver City, ID.
Keeping with the family tradition, I have every confidence he would have also shot Rugers and Marlins

:D

If the character I portray actually existed in the late 1800s (because, unlike John Wayne, I don't think he would be shooting 73 Colts and 92 Winchesters in 1846), and he HAD THE MONEY (which is very important) I believe he would outfit himself the same way that I do.

5 1/2 inch Single Action Army in 44/40 for regular carry. #3 Russian in 44 Russian for when he felt like doing something different. 92 Winchester saddle ring carbine in 44/40. Husqvarna Dubblebössa Modell 20 in Kaliber 16 for our feathery friends. A Remington roller in 50/70, for when he felt like shooting at something a ways off, or that was kinda large. And a 95 Winchester in 30 US, just because.

My alias is my paternal grandfather’s nickname.  He was born in 1859, so he was a young adult in the 1880s, railroader and later a cattle rancher.  He only had a shotgun.  My aunt used to tell how she shot it once as a little girl, and it knocked her to the ground.

I'd likely be a surveyor (forty rods, right?) and carry a SAA .45 with a 5 1/2" barrel and have a '73 Winchester close at hand.

If earlier I'd have a '60 Army conversion to .44 Henry rf flat an a '66 Winchester.

In either case I'd have a 5" two or three inch folding pocket knife.  Very useful when you out in the boonies. (A term that didn't come along for another 75 or so years.)

Well I wouldn't be called Sixgun Sheridan if all I packed was a rifle. I guess it would depend on how wealthy I was at the time, and I am assuming the heyday of the Old West which was between 1873-1890. If I could afford one of those fancy new Colt sixguns I'd have one in .44-40 and a matching Winchester 1873 short rifle to go with it. But if my income then was proportionate to what I make today I might have to settle for a Colt cartridge conversion or a surplus Schofield and a shotgun.

Well my alias, Raylan T. Chance, is based off two fictional characters - one a modern cowboy in the modern sense and one a classic western cowboy. Raylan Givens from the books by Elmore Leonard and TV show Justified with Timothy Olyphant.  John T. Chance from Rio Bravo played by John Wayne. Raylan uses variously in the books a Glock 21 in 45 ACP or on TV a Colt Officers 1911 in 45 ACP or a Glock 19 or 17 in 9mm though his character says it's a 45. John T. Chance carries a winchester 1892 and a Colt SAA. calibers unspecified though some reports are both were in 44WCF. 

Raylan T Chance would carry two Colt SAA in either 44WCF or 45 Colt with 4 5/8 inch barrels and use an 1873 Winchester rifle in 44WCF, and a side by side 10 gauge shotgun. For longer range a Winchester 1886 in 45-70.

There is no documentation as to the actual middle name - it could be Thomas or it could be Tiberius. If it is Tiberius then that could be from James Tiberius Kirk  Captain of the Starship Enterprise, who must have time traveled back to the old west. Kirk typically carried a standard handheld phaser and was also normally armed with a vulcan and medical doctor. 

So alternatively Raylan could be armed with a phaser, a vulcan mind meld, and a knock out hypo. 

My alias is made up for me.  My ancestors on my mothers side were a pair to draw to and their known hardware consisted of S&W break tops and Winchester '66's.  The only firearm associated with my fathers side is a Winchester '73 in 44/40 and perhaps another in 32/20.  The former resides with an aunt and the latter foolishly traded away by me in the 60's   

Before 1878, probably an issue Colt's "strap pistol" (SAA), 7-1/2" barrel) and a privately purchased Colt's SA 5-1/2", with a Winchester Model 1866 or '73.  After 1878, if I could afford them, a pair of Colt's Frontier Six Shooters (.44-40 SAA), and the '73.  Before 1874, probably a pair of M1860 cartridge conversion Colt's Army sixguns. and a Henry or M1866 Winchester, or possibly an issued Spencer Carbine, cal. .56-50.

My character's inspiration came from a surveyor turned prospector during the Klondike gold rush, 'cept he was known as Nine Foot - I think I quoted Seven Foot in the past... oh well. A mis-measured claim that was nine feet too long, so he filed claim on the small piece, and made a fortune. That late, he could have been toting anything we use. Being a surveyor during these times, I would expect he could have afforded the latest weaponry, so likely a Winchester '92 or Marlin '94, a pair of Colt cartridge guns, and an 1897. I often use a Marlin, but have strayed on the rest, normally shooting a SxS, and Rugers, although a pair of 18" Uberti Buntlines can often be found hanging off my belt, hence the modified name - 18" + 18" + me = Three Foot Johnson, Johnson being my real name also. :)

Mine was taken from a real lady's name. I have her calling card, she's a relative; but, I know nothing else for certain. My mother thought she was a great-great aunt of hers. I've tried to find her on some genealogy sites, with no luck. I assume she lived in the late 1800s. So, she could have any SASS-legal guns. She'd probably shoot Colt SAAs, a Winchester '73, and a Winchester '87 as I have all of those.

Here is her card.

Allie's Card.jpg

3 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I would have preferred to have been in the west early.

So a Hawkens .54 caliber rifle and a good riding mule please.

Good choice.  My Hawken is a .50 and I have a .31 double barrel percussion pistol in my shooting bag.

I also have an 8" knife and a large tomahawk that doubles as a camp axe.

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'd likely be a surveyor (forty rods, right?) and carry a SAA .45 with a 5 1/2" barrel and have a '73 Winchester close at hand.

Would you have a twin brother Ten Chains?  

I'm an Associate Member of the Maryland Society of Surveyors, so I've run across old time land measurements. 

11 hours ago, punxsutawneypete said:

Would you have a twin brother Ten Chains?  

I'm an Associate Member of the Maryland Society of Surveyors, so I've run across old time land measurements. 

No, but my older sister is Ten Chains, called Tenny for short.  My brother (not a twin) is Furlong.  Folks used to call him Fury, but now he's a bald as an onion so they call him Hey You.

Well, based on my alias, I'd have a screwdriver, some sort of pliers, some kind of hammer, a good knife, some bailing wire, binder twine, hide glue and a good cigar.  My Remington 58s with a conversion cylinder, side by each gas pipe and a purty 66 to defile. Where is my pony?

My alias is Henry T Harrison he was Longstreet’s scout an accomplished actor and spy. That persona allows me to be almost any character. In his civil war era persona he would have carried an 1851 Navy or an 1849 pocket pistol and probably both 

My character, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, was in The War as a U.S. Marine on blockade duty off the coast of South Carolina. While there, he acquired an 1861 Colt, (36 caliber), from a Confederate Captain who, umm, didn't need it anymore.

Later he had it converted with the Richards Conversion to fire .38 cartridges, and had the barrel cut down to five inches. At the same time, he bought an SAA with a four and three quarter inch barrel in the same calibre. 

Looking at things logically as to what I may have been doing to make a living back then I am pretty sure I would have been drawn to the technology of the time so I would have probably been involved with the railroad and probably involved with the telegraph systems the railroads used for communication. 

My main gun would probably be a repeating rifle I may have started with an 1873 Winchester but I know I would have definitely been attracted to an 1876 Winchester “Centennial” rifle. I would have picked a cartridge that would have been more easily available for that rifle. Probably the 45-75. Later on I would have moved up to an 1886 Winchester in 45-70.

If I lived in a town and had a home I might have some sort of handgun but my rifle would be my main gun. I would probably also own a side by side shotgun for bird hunting.

Archived