SASS Wire Forum

Need some help selling some guns

The widow of a close friend has some guns to sell.  I don't know how to approach this.

She has four SKS carbines, two with aftermarket folding stocks, two with AM fixed stocks.  They look to be in good shape but it's been forty yers since I've handled one.

She also has a fair Argentine Mauser that has AM scope mounts, a non-original sling swivel and a muzzle brake that may or may not be original.  The stock appears to be original, but again I don't know.

There is a like new Springfield Arms 1911A1 in an ugly green finish on the slide and frame and black on everything else.  I doubt it's ever been fired and I may make a bid on that one myself.  I need another 1911 like I need the mumps, but it's calling to me.

There are others: a Taurus .357, a AMT .380, somebody's ( can't find a name on it) copy of a Makarov in 9mm.  All of the handguns are new or nearly new, a couple have original boxes and paperwork.

She has many rounds of ammo and a ton of magazines for these guns.  She need the money so I'm helping out, but I'm out of my depth here.

I may have pictures soon.

I don’t think you can sell them here. Read the rules of the SASS Classified forum. You might try Gunbroker, GunsAmerica or others like that. Good luck ;)

Can't you put them on consignment at a local gun shop? There used to be one in PV on the main drag. Does J&G in Prescott take consignment? Armslist is another option but it can be a joke. I used to deal at Bucky O'neils in Prescott 25 years ago but when we were there in May it looked like it was a hair salon. The gun shop on the junction of Copper Basin Road and 89 looked closed as well. Doesn't the auction house across from Sharlot Hall Museum deal in guns?

33 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don’t think you can sell them here. Read the rules of the SASS Classified forum. You might try Gunbroker, GunsAmerica or others like that. Good luck ;)

I'm not trying to sell here, I'm trying to get information.

I don't believe in selling guns on the internet.

Forty Rod 

here in Arkansas , the SKS with the folding stocks , show up at the shows for $350 to $400 

with wood stocks that are pretty well correct $400 to $500 , pretty much top on price 

the Arg Mauser , $300 to $375 

the 1911a1 , $600 to $750 , 

$350 ish , on the Taurus , AMF , have not seen one , so I am gonna guess $250 ish , the 9x18 Mac $275 ish 

that being all I think you can get for em 

hope this is of help , 

Chickasaw 

Nate Kiowa Jones (Steve@stevesgunz.com) in Lampasas sold a bunch for me a couple of years ago.  Problem is that he's located in Lampasas, TX.  I took the guns to him personally, but I would contact him for advice. PM me if you want his telephone number.

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

Forty Rod 

here in Arkansas , the SKS with the folding stocks , show up at the shows for $350 to $400 

with wood stocks that are pretty well correct $400 to $500 , pretty much top on price 

the Arg Mauser , $300 to $375 

the 1911a1 , $600 to $750 , 

$350 ish , on the Taurus , AMF , have not seen one , so I am gonna guess $250 ish , the 9x18 Mac $275 ish 

that being all I think you can get for em 

hope this is of help , 

Chickasaw 

I would say you pretty much hit these numbers on the head at full retail. I’d probably knock $50 off that AMF though.

Forty,

I would look into consignment selling these guns. Dealer would probably only give 50% of what Chickasaw listed.

If that 1911 is this one the full retail is at the bottom of the page.

http://sightm1911.com/lib/review/SA_OD_green_loaded.htm

Depends on how much work you wanna do.  We've had pards at our club sell guns for widows and while I'm pretty sure they do well value wise, it takes work and time.  I helped the son of a friend of mine sell guns by taking them to gun shows.  We probably did even better that way.  But it made going to gun shows almost like work. 

I like the auction house idea as long as she's willing to take the risk that she won't get full value for them.  At least that way, it'll be done and settled at a known time. 

SKS value depends on condition and model. Are they Russian, Chinese or Yugoslavian?

On 8/4/2019 at 4:23 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would say you pretty much hit these numbers on the head at full retail. I’d probably knock $50 off that AMF though.

Forty,

I would look into consignment selling these guns. Dealer would probably only give 50% of what Chickasaw listed.

If that 1911 is this one the full retail is at the bottom of the page.

http://sightm1911.com/lib/review/SA_OD_green_loaded.htm

Not quite the same.  Hers has an old style hammer and grip safetye and a solid trigger.  The rear sight is not as well designed, just a two dot blade adjustable for windage only.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Not quite the same.  Hers has an old style hammer and grip safetye and a solid trigger.  The rear sight is not as well designed, just a two dot blade adjustable for windage only.

Must be an older version Mil-Spec (as they call it). My friend had a Springfield Armory basic 1911A1 nearly 20 years ago that was dark green in color. It wasn’t pretty but it was reliable with ball ammo. The rear sight was fixed. The grip panels were walnut like. If I remember right the front sight was ridiculously small.

My guess is that one she has is a basic model from a few years ago.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Must be an older version Mil-Spec (as they call it). My friend had a Springfield Armory basic 1911A1 nearly 20 years ago that was dark green in color. It wasn’t pretty but it was reliable with ball ammo. The rear sight was fixed. The grip panels were walnut like. If I remember right the front sight was ridiculously small.

My guess is that one she has is a basic model from a few years ago.

I think you're right.  The color isn't really offensive, it just doesn't suit my idea of what a gun should look like.

I bought a almost new Mil-Spec from a guy whose dad owned it and died. He didn't like or want it, so I offered him $250 for it. He couldn't find any mags for it and CDNN had a 50% off sale, so I bought 4 new ones from the Company that makes them for Colt and Springfield. $10 each. Shoots great and I can use it when I don't want to use the High Dollar Kimber. It doesn't look Green to me.  Maybe that's the older ones, I got this one in 2011  ....100th year anniversary of the 1911.

Milspec.jpg

Forty, does it look like this color?

83112009-A6F7-423F-B1F6-C8167D3B4BAF.thumb.jpeg.1247817991d31120bb415f8c48e60402.jpeg6ACF4930-BBE1-453B-9EE1-F9861F9B9BAE.thumb.jpeg.328c69c57de4eab6ded8dc407c3b9c33.jpeg

I had to refinish this Winchester 94AE Carbine because a former friend of mine was an idiot. Long story. Not worth telling right now.

Anyway, I had a gunsmith Cerakote it in “Mil-Spec Green”. I believe this is the same coating / color used by Springfield Armory. 

12 hours ago, Big Jake1001 said:

I bought a almost new Mil-Spec from a guy whose dad owned it and died. He didn't like or want it, so I offered him $250 for it. He couldn't find any mags for it and CDNN had a 50% off sale, so I bought 4 new ones from the Company that makes them for Colt and Springfield. $10 each. Shoots great and I can use it when I don't want to use the High Dollar Kimber. It doesn't look Green to me.  Maybe that's the older ones, I got this one in 2011  ....100th year anniversary of the 1911.

Milspec.jpg

The one I got in 2003 is identical to yours.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:59 PM, Big Jake1001 said:

Milspec.jpg

I got one of colt's commemorative M1911's made in 2011.  Pretty sure it cost me a grand or more, so I'm sure $250 is a good deal even for your model.  Mineis the original style (not an A1) and it bites the web of my hand so I'll just be looking at it from now on, no more shooting it. 

5 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I got one of colt's commemorative M1911's made in 2011.  Pretty sure it cost me a grand or more, so I'm sure $250 is a good deal even for your model.  Mineis the original style (not an A1) and it bites the web of my hand so I'll just be looking at it from now on, no more shooting it. 

Gloves?

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Gloves?

I've tried a couple different shooting gloves.  I don't like them.  Lose too much dexterity and all of the feeling.  Pardon my crassness, but it's like making out with my wife wearing gloves.  I don't get to feel the curves. 

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I've tried a couple different shooting gloves.  I don't like them.  Lose too much dexterity and all of the feeling.  Pardon my crassness, but it's like making out with my wife wearing gloves.  You don't get to feel the curves. 

Have you tried fingerless gloves? Go to a Cycle Gear and check out their fingerless leather gloves. Also, Wilson Leather has fingerless motorcycle gloves that are very thin leather.

17 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Have you tried fingerless gloves? Go to a Cycle Gear and check out their fingerless leather gloves. Also, Wilson Leather has fingerless motorcycle gloves that are very thin leather.

Haven't thought of that.  But before we go too far down this rabbit hole, isn't that just going to make the gun tear up the glove first THEN start biting into my hand?  That doesn't seem like much of a solution.  Obviously the solution is to extend the grip safety, but I'm not going to do that to this gun.  That's what all my other 1911's are for.  I would probably adjust my grip before sacrificing gloves to it. 

I couldn't even think of a good reason to wear shooting gloves, that's why I stopped exploring them.  I only tried them because I've seen so many people using them. 

2 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Some of the auction houses will pick up the guns from you if you are selling a large enough collection.  

Seamus

They'll charge up to 30-40% of the selling price though.

Agree with selling on consignment. I've done it several times and it benefits the seller and the consigning FFL. Plus, you do none of the work and the guns are marketed and sold and transferred through said FFL. More exposure to buyers, no one calling you wanting to come to your home to see the gun, FFL transfer...

Easy peasy.

12 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They'll charge up to 30-40% of the selling price though.

Last gun I auctioned was only 20% at Milestone Auctions in Ohio. I was lucky too because at least two people musta wanted it bad because it went about 40% over what I expected. 

Seamus

Archived