SASS Wire Forum

Tough as nails

1903-joe-grim-boxing-police-gazette-supplement-poster-heavyweight-philadelphia-1.thumb.gif.25ef03894240c248f4d72a1640875291.gif

Italian American Joe Grim is rumoured to have had more than 300 fights, the vast majority of which were defeats.

He had a reputation in the opening years of the 20th century as a “Human Punching Bag” that he could not be knocked out. He was described as the Iron Man,

After he could not knock the 150 lb. Grim out, Jack Johnson said after facing him that “I just don’t believe that man is made of flesh and blood.”

This excert from Wikepedia explains it all:

"Typically, at the end of a bout, he would go to the ropes and shout "I am Joe Grim. I fear no man on earth." In 1930 he was described in The Ring as "the greatest physical freak the prize ring ever knew... Grim offered his body as a target to fighters who outweighed him by many pounds. He has the strangest claim to glory that an athlete ever made." Robert W. Edgren opined that "knocking the Iron Man down with fists is a waste of time and effort, for he keeps getting up. To drop Grim for a long count, a boxer – if permitted – should use a crowbar or a baseball bat."

He’s a regular fairy tale that guy.

Archived