SASS Wire Forum

Estate Shotshells

J-BAR #18287

I don't shoot smokeless often but I tried some new shotshells today.  A gun store in Cape Girardeau, MO was selling Estate dove loads for $47.99 a case (10 boxes ).  I figured if they did not work in a match, I could at least use them for practice.  The hulls are ribbed like Remington Gun Club hulls and have 8 point crimps.    These Estate loads  were mild shooting and took the knockdowns down with authority even with my cylinder bores.  They shucked out easily at all six stages and I did not swab the chambers between stages.  I will reload some of the hulls with black powder just for grins and see how they work.

So if you are looking for another shotshell option, you might look for some on sale, what with dove season coming on!

IMG-9221.thumb.JPG.dada4838ab962d3ac3b24fbc9ff2fb30.JPG

I buy Estate brand from WalMart but not at the discounted price you paid. They work well for me.

These Estate loads  were mild shooting and took the knockdowns down with authority even with my cylinder bores.  They shucked out easily at all six stages and I did not swab the chambers between stages.  I will reload some of the hulls with black powder just for grins and see how they work.

Try the SUPER SPORT COMPETITION TARGET LOAD.  12  2 3/4  1  8  1180 fps. I think they reload better than AAs, last longer.

1 minute ago, Yusta B. said:

Try the SUPER SPORT COMPETITION TARGET LOAD.  12  2 3/4  1  8  1180 fps. I think they reload better than AAs, last longer.

A piece of EMT metal tubing loads better that today AA's.....

Any AA hulls I come across, go into the trash.

OLG

15 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

If they go on sale for $48 a case, I probably will!! ;)

14 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If they go on sale for $48 a case, I probably will!! ;)

They are $5.54 at Wally World. Don't know if they will deal on a case.

7 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hubby no longer reloads AAs either. IIRC, the problems were with the crimping.

WW went to a 2 piece hull that will bulge when many std wads are used, and the crimp will not hold.

OLG

24 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

AAs work fine for BP since there's so much more powder to keep the wad away from the step.

Not from my experience, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I still get a ring where that step is and they don't hold a crimp worth spit. I've switched to green or gold Remington or Gun Club as a last resort; Winchester AA's are horrible now.

I must be doing something wrong,, jAAs work great for me,, send me all you don't want...

39 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Not from my experience, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I still get a ring where that step is and they don't hold a crimp worth spit. I've switched to green or gold Remington or Gun Club as a last resort; Winchester AA's are horrible now.

I use 60grs (volume) of real black, a Claybuster 1138-12 wad, and 1 oz of 7.5 shot.  No bulge, not issues with crimp.

11 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I use 60grs (volume) of real black, a Claybuster 1138-12 wad, and 1 oz of 7.5 shot.  No bulge, not issues with crimp.

That's probably what I'm doing wrong. I've never found a good reason to use that much powder and/or shot; 45-50gr Goex FFg and 7/8oz shot takes down everything I've ever shot at.

4 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

That's my load too. I'll take all the AA hulls you can send me.

.... and they don't hold a crimp worth spit.

Fiocci's DIDN'T hold a crimp either. All one has to do is tighten the plug on the station that sets the crimp depth. Why? Various hulls are thicker than others and there is not enough seating depth to hold the crimp together

Look at page 8

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/documents/650.pdf

Howdy

I used to use Estate shells for trap all the time. I liked 2 3/4 drams of powder with 1 1/8 ounces of #8 shot.

Regarding AA hulls, although I prefer Remington STS hulls because they are more slippery, I use AA hulls all the time. Lots of shooters at my club who don't reload give me their once fired AA hulls.

Here is a photo of my standard Black Powder load, 4.3CC of Schuetzen, a 1/8" Circle Fly over powder card, a 1/2" Circle Fly cushion wad, 1 1/8 ounces of #8 shot, and a Circle Fly over powder card. This load works just fine in AA hulls too.

Shotshell%20Components_zpsrl71zpfq.jpg

The estate 1 1/8 1145 fps are all I have used for probably 3 or 4 years.$5.48 a box, SKB loves them and I don't have to mess with loading.

Archived