SASS Wire Forum

Missed another one

Utah Bob #35998

A shoot that is.

Still can’t wear my gear comfortably due to the surgery last month. Monthly matches are getting pretty tiring too. Even if I’m at my peak (which ain’t much)

I starting to think maybe it’s time to hang up the irons. Nothing lasts forever. :(

Don't pack it in.

Your Pards will see you through.

I know mine certainly have; through a heart issue, arthritic knees that prevent me from working and a bout of Prostate Cancer.

They make me sit a lot, even though I try to work the LT, ULT, take pics and videos or spot.

I do a lot of it sitting down, saving myself for my turn to shoot.

UB,

We have shooters here at our monthly matches who shoot til they are too tired, or too hot. Too hot happens a lot here in VA in Jul and Aug.

Remember a DNF on the score sheet, does not mean DNHF (did not have fun).;)

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A shoot that is.

Still can’t wear my gear comfortably due to the surgery last month. Monthly matches are getting pretty tiring too. Even if I’m at my peak (which ain’t much)

I starting to think maybe it’s time to hang up the irons. Nothing lasts forever. :(

Your comment saddens me, Bob. I do feel for you. Don’t give up hope, Pard. 

My my wife and I were discussing this very thing yesterday. My body’s stove up. I have arthritis in my wrists...and everywhere else. But I am looking for alternatives for my shooting sports. Lighter loads for the pistolas. Though I do love launching .45 pills at 900+ FPS and shooting .357 loads at around 900+ as well. I have always felt a reloaded round should speak to the world when it is launched. ;)

Please don’t give up, Bob. Even if you could only shoot 1/2 a match it would still be fun. Think about it. You go early. See all your friends. Have coffee and camaraderie then go shoot some stages. If you can’t or don’t want to shoot the whole match just go home. You’ll be having a cold one before anyone else and your not all tuckered out. :D

There’s no law that says you have to shoot the whole match.

I had the same thing happen to me the first time I tried to go to a match after my motorcycle crash in 2017. I was so jazzed about going to the match. I had everything ready and my guns were all so clean and lubed. Trouble was I couldn’t wear my boots from the foot surgery. I couldn’t wear the gun belt when I put the revolvers in the holsters. It killed my back. 

The problem was I wasn’t healed up enough and I needed different boots. I bought lace up ropers. The next month I was healed up enough and I did go to the match. But by stage 4 I was wiped out. So I left. My scores don’t matter to me anyway. I shoot for clean stages. Time is irrelevant. I am never going to win a match so there is no pressure to actually finish a match. 

Give it it another month, Pard. It’ll make a difference, you’ll see. :)

I do not want to be one who slows the match down. God knows I shoot slow enough already. And if I can’t participate in spotting, setting targets, timing, and  brassing (I’ve seen others who don’t help out and not for medical issues) and I won’t be one no matter the reason. I’ll dwell on it for awhile but I’m leaning toward retirement right now. Time marches on

We have a few pards with parkinsons. One shoots the holy. He always goes to many different state matches. His wife helps him out. At times he just can't finish but maybe shoots only 2 stages. He won't give up till he finally can't. Even if he is in a wheel chair he will be there. No way does his slowness bother me one bit, I admire him far more than those who don't even bother to help out. Give it time and who cares if you can't wear the gear. Stage the guns and shot shells if you have to. This game is for fun and I'm one to keep it that way.

15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

We all have to make this choice, sooner or later.

You should give the post surgery healing at least a couple more months, and the cooler weather may help.

OLG

What OLG said. ;)

Due to health reasons I had to quit shooting a few years ago. I just didn’t think that I was safe to shoot any more with arthritis in my hands, injuries and medication. It was a difficult decision but one that had to be made. After this bout with cancer things have gotten worse. I won’t sell my guns or gear because there is always hope 

like the others have said:  give yourself time both to heal and think about it.  

Right now I've been off over a month with a bacterial infection with at least another month to go.  Still planning to be back in the thick of things somewhere near the bottom but still playing the game.

hot weather never helps either in making decisions

to paraphrase:  if you quit first we're splitting up your gear :)  

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I do not want to be one who slows the match down. God knows I shoot slow enough already. And if I can’t participate in spotting, setting targets, timing, and  brassing (I’ve seen others who don’t help out and not for medical issues) and I won’t be one no matter the reason. I’ll dwell on it for awhile but I’m leaning toward retirement right now. Time marches on

If it weren't for slow shooters there would not be SASS. Just like golf. If all you had was the cream of the crop it would be a damn small field of players. I saw a chair with your name on it at Cortez this year about the time you were having surgery and I missed you and we have never met, but I was looking forward to it. Hope to see you at a shoot sometime Bob.

kR

“You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up, but you don't give up.”

BG Chuck Yeager 

I’ve been through some medical challenges the past year that have left me not as good as I once was, to put it mildly.  But General Yeagar’s words have kept me going with as much gusto as I can muster. 

I wish you all the best, UB. 

Tough day here with temps near 90 and humid.  First three stages went well, then the last three went south.  Weather affects me more than it used to, but I'll keep going for now.  FWIW, my advice is slack off for August and pick it up again when it's cooler.  That may help.

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A shoot that is.

I haven't shot a match in six years.  I may join a local SASS club just for the social contacts, but I can't trust my right hand to hold a gun under competition conditions.

I miss it.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’ve seen others who don’t help out and not for medical issues and I won’t be one no matter the reason. 

I'm pretty sure 99.99% of the people you shoot with will want you to keep shooting, even if you can't do any of the chores.  I'm also fairly certain I speak for most SASS shooters in that a shooter who wants to work, but can't is always welcome on a posse, even if it means the rest of the posse has to work a little harder.  I've shot with a couple that fell into that category and I will happily posse with them again.  

Also score keeping, spotting, working the unloading table and working the loading table are all important roles that can be done mostly seated.

14 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I'm pretty sure 99.99% of the people you shoot with will want you to keep shooting, even if you can't do any of the chores.  I'm also fairly certain I speak for most SASS shooters in that a shooter who wants to work, but can't is always welcome on a posse, even if it means the rest of the posse has to work a little harder.  I've shot with a couple that fell into that category and I will happily posse with them again.  

Also score keeping, spotting, working the unloading table and working the loading table are all important roles that can be done mostly seated.

What Chantry says.  The Pards at my matches last year helped me a bunch when I was dealing with chemo and bum shoulder. I mostly sat in a chair I brought did some LT & ULT coverage. Everyone was fine with it. Even if you shoot slower, an extra minute or so isn't really going to slow the Posse. They will be glad you are there.

Bob,

I hate to see anyone leave this sport for any reason, but  I suppose all of us will have to so at some time. Hang in there as long as you can. If you ever get to this part of the country, or I get to yours, I would be honored to posse with you. 

Irish Tom.

I shot a Wild Bunch match this morning 95 miles away, drove all the way back for an informal "cousin's reunion" (9 of us), and I'll drive all the way back up there tomorrow morning for a CAS match at the same range. I normally tow one of the trailers up Friday night and camp out for two nights.

40 matches last year, 28 this year so far, but the day will come. I'm in my 64th year now, and most men in this family historically haven't made it much past 60, so... :mellow: All the walking picking up brass, setting targets, etc., helps keep me in shape, and I don't have to visit the gym so much! ;)

We have a couple of guys at my local who have stopped shooting but still come each month to catch up and sit on the ULT.

Their help is much appreciated and we enjoy having them come along for a chat and a sanga before and after the shoot.

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I haven't shot a match in six years.  I may join a local SASS club just for the social contacts, but I can't trust my right hand to hold a gun under competition conditions.

I miss it.

So, shoot one of the categories that allows a two hand hold.

Get your butt out there Pard! There are a lot of people out there that will welcome you.

Havn't shot since last April and don't know when I'll get to shoot again. After having both shoulders replaced 3 years ago, I now have torn rotator cuffs on both of them. Doing some PT now trying to get then thru October when I go deer & antelope hunting in Wyoming. then I'll have surgery on both to repair them. I'm 78 and not getting any younger either!

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Havn't shot since last April and don't know when I'll get to shoot again. After having both shoulders replaced 3 years ago, I now have torn rotator cuffs on both of them. Doing some PT now trying to get then thru October when I go deer & antelope hunting in Wyoming. then I'll have surgery on both to repair them. I'm 78 and not getting any younger either!

Thought you had zerk fittings included, with the replacement parts.:lol:

OLG

I'm 75 with arthritis and a little heart issue.

I took a few months hiatus from CAS for cancer treatments that left me weakened.

I missed the fun and the people.

Not too sure if they missed me, but:

I'M BAAAAACK!!

Even shot a clean match!!

So if I can do it, anyone can!

Get out there and have fun.

You ain't here for a long time, Just a good time.

UB please do not give up. Especially if you are worried about shooting slow.  As long as a person can safely handle their firearms they will always be welcome to shoot with me. I shoot with several people that are slow due to age related abilities. Some days they shoot the whole match. Other days they may only shoot a few stages. Some days they just help with posse chores. One thing they all do is help out to the best of their abilities. 

The only thing that gets under my skin are able-bodied shooters that do not perform possee chores. UB you are most definately not a member of that crowd.

Archived