SASS Wire Forum

Reloading info

Fat Tuesday

Wow you're opening a can of worms.  You're going to hear a lot of choices but ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself.  So here's my take:

Bullets - If you read the rules the bullet must be lead, no jacketed bullets are allowed.  I like the coated bullets my opinion they give less lead fouling.  As far as price you'll have to search, I usually use either Bayou Bullets in Louisiana or Bullets by Scarlet.  Scarlet goes to the bigger matches so you don't have to pay shipping, she'll take your order and have it ready for you when you get there.  She offers a full line of bullets, plus she has powder and finished rounds.  Bayou bullets often offers free shipping and they have a sample pack if you ask.  

Powder - Personally I use Trail Boss for smokeless.  Look at some threads on this forum and you'll probably figure out that most complaints are about how dirty it is.  One of the things to remember is that most of us load below minimum so soot is always a possibility.

Welcome and enjoy a great game and an even better group of folks!

I contacted a few manufacturers and was given this data:

• BHN= 9 Desperado Bullets (uncoated)
• BHN= 9 Ringer Bullets (Hi-Tek) by Special Order
• BHN=10 Big Lube Bullets, Outlaw Bullets, Stateline Bullets
• BHN=12 Missouri Bullets
• BHN=13 Bear Creek Supply
• BHN=14 Gallant Bullets
• BHN=16 Acme, Badman, Bayou, Chey-Cast, Scarlett, SNS, Stateline
• BHN=18 Falcon Bullets, Missouri Bullets
• BHN=19 Cast Performance
• BHN=24 Oregon Trail laser cast

• BHN= 9 is 11,518 psi
• BHN=10 is 12,798 psi
• BHN=12 is 15,358 psi
• BHN=13 is 16,637 psi
• BHN=14 is 17,917 psi
• BHN=16 is 20,477 psi
• BHN=18 is 23,036 psi
• BHN=19 is 24,316 psi
• BHN=24 is 30,715 psi

The Brinell Hardness Number has a direct correlation between the softness of a lead bullet vs the required cartridge pressure in PSI.

When the BHN is a match for the PSI, the lead bullet will obdurate (seal) effectively in the barrel.  This is the ideal condition for minimal barrel leading and blow-by.

PSI goes hand-in-hand with velocity and recoil.
CAS has an upper limit of 1,000 feet per second for revolvers.

I've looked at 108 different 45LC loads.
The Trail Boss and Clean Shot load pressures are well suited for BHN=9.
Recoil in a 2.6 lb revolver is around 5 ft-lbs.

28 minutes ago, Fat Tuesday said:

What 45LC reloading bullets are recommended for CAS?  Purchase a bullet that when loaded produces a round that feeds smoothly and reliably in your rifle.  That is probably a round nose flat point design.  Buy 100 bullet sample packs for testing if you are unsure of your needs.  I prefer softer bullets (BH 12) over hard cast.  I am now purchasing coated bullets so my dies stay clean on my progressive presses.

Who has the best price on 45LC reloading bullets including shipping?  Like TC said, buy from someone who will deliver to a match where you shoot.  Lead is expensive to ship.  Second choice is a caster who will ship using USPS flat rate boxes.  You can get many bullets in a 70-lb box.

What powder you all using for CAS?  I use the smokey stuff and shoot in black powder categories. There are many smokeless powders that will work in 45 Colt.  What pistol or shotgun powders do you already have in your reloading room?  You might have a suitable powder already.  BTW, I load 44 mag (similar round to 45 Colt) for Wild Bunch with Unique with good results.

Thanks in advance

Comments in red

1st off... it's a 45 COLT.  Sez so right on the case head.    Yep, pickin' nits... but... as any reloader knows, it's all about precision... "good enough" don't cut it.  2ndly, there are no shortcuts to determining what bullets a particular gun might like.  I have 6 45 Colt rifles and 4 handguns chambered in this cartridge.  A couple of the rifles don't like the particular bullet a couple of the others like the best...  3 of my rifles are manufactured by Uberti... they don't even all the same bullets.  There is ONE bullet all three digest and spit out quite well... best when loaded with BP... It happens to be a bullet cast of wheel weights, hardened up some with linotype, and lubed with SPG;  however, if I use smokeless, not all three like the same powder.   BEHIND the same freakin' bullet for heaven's sake.  How messed up is that?   I have one rifle, that absolutely HATES a 185 grain bullet, but likes a 160 grain of a slightly different nose profile just fine... not great... but at least it ain't tumblin' inside of 25 yards.  

I've been shooting a 200 grain RFN bullet out of all my rifles for several years... as supplied by a couple of local bullet suppliers.  For the past few years one supplier has been off production... for the past several months, the 2nd supplier has also been out... now I need to reload... so I've had to order some from an out-of-state supplier, blind, with no experience of any of that supplier's products before.  I'll be doin' a bit of testing in order to find out if my previous load will work to my satisfaction.  

I could ask the Wire for recommendations... but ultimately, it'd be an exercise in futility.  For ain't any of these Wire folk shooting MY rifles. MY handguns...  which is where the determination is made as to what works, or just barely does the job.  For it's how it performs out the end of the individual barrel that determines it's acceptability.  

If you contact bullet manufacturer's, sometimes they ship a few examples of particular bullets for you to try...  I've ordered just 50 rounds before, to test for recoil, and do some accuracy testing before I jump into the deep end of the pool and order a 1,000.  Or like this last time, ordered a 1,000 because my local manufacturer hasn't had his bullet of similar shape and weight in stock and can't guarantee me that he will in time for me to load up a supply before the next big match I'm attending.

And, don't think I'm chastising anyone for asking either, I don't know what reloading experience you may have... or another reader of my response has... so I'll assume the least practical experience that would ask this time of question... and gear my answer to that lowest common denominator.  The expert, experienced reloader already know this information... a reloader of limited experience might have heard this before... maybe...  they might also be leary of asking such a question... but, IMO, we all started off with no experience... the lucky ones among us had a mentor to help us thru the beginning steps,   Something I heartily recommend... finding a mentor.

For a really general answer, the 45 Colt in lever action rifles likes a RFN... thats round, flat nose.  The ogive has a rounded appearance, with a flattened nose to rest against the primer of the cartridge in front of it in the tubular magazine.  Another good shape is the TC, or truncated cone.  Held in place with a roll crimp, both shapes make the transition from magazine to chamber with ease and aplomb.  No sharp edges to catch on lifters, carriers or chamber mouths.  Stay away from Wadcutter or semi-wadcutters, and they will tend to be the most fiddlesome shapes in the 45 Colt.  (In rifles).   If you think of your lever-action rifle as a slow motion auto-loader, this will make more sense.

As to weight and diameter... read my earlier comments again.

4.5g Clays, 700x or Red Dot under a 200g bullet.  Rifle or pistol.  

Archived