SASS Wire Forum

Clean (Cleaner) 45 Colt Loads?

Dust'N Bottles

I've annealed brass by sitting them in a shallow pan of water, then cooking 'em in the oven.  Keeps the case head cool, and softens the mouth.  But, it's hard to move a pan full of brass without tipping several of them over... 

13 hours ago, Griff said:

I've annealed brass by sitting them in a shallow pan of water, then cooking 'em in the oven.  Keeps the case head cool, and softens the mouth.  But, it's hard to move a pan full of brass without tipping several of them over... 

Try putting the pan with water in the oven, then set the brass in the pan.;)

29 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Try putting the pan with water in the oven, then set the brass in the pan.;)

Did that too, oven hot... uncomfortable, oven cold... takes too long.  I just put up with the soot. ;)

Here's a minority opinion.

I also shoot a 200 grain bullet in .45 Colt over a minimum charge of Trailboss.    I shoot this round in a repro 92, a repro Lightning, and about a dozen different revolvers, mostly Colts, but also reproductions of a Schofield, Remington, and various converted C&B's. 

Is it dirty?  Yeah.  And especially with the Lightning I need to make sure I've properly cleaned it, but I have found that clean up is not all that difficult.  A few patches of Hoppes #9 and the bore is clean, a flush with Gunscrubber and the action is clean, oil everything and I'm done.  Takes less than 5 minutes to clean any gun.   Same is true for the many other calibers I shoot with this powder.  I think you are worrying too much about a minor problem.

16 hours ago, Griff said:

How high do you crank the oven and how long did you keep them in for?

1. If you shoot a light load.........…….CRIMP!!!!! A tight roll CRIMP!! This will hold the bullet within the case and you get a bigger/better burn of powder. 

2. Cheap and easy annealing process. The drill. propane torch, and socket will work. Light torch, make dark, revolve socket (about a full turn a second)with case over the flame. The VERY SECOND you see color change, remove brass heat. If/when the brass gets an orange color (HOT!!) it is ruined. 

A shot of Mercury Quick Silver or other carbon remover designed for outboard motors, available from your local boat shot will dissolve that carbon while you watch.

Duffield

Archived