SASS Wire Forum

Damn, that was scary.

Sitting at my computer just a bit ago, picked up a glass of orange juice from the side and moved in front of me, and there was what sounded like a shot right under where the glass had been.  Dog came running to my rescue as I began searching for the cause.

I have looked for ten minutes and can't find any evidence of a shot or anything else in or near the room that could have made that noise.  No smell of gunfire.

Maybe my house is haunted (well, I know it is, but not like that).

I'll keep on looking.

Heat expansion?

My house in Oregon made a few loud noises, especially in the garage, when temps went into the 90’s and beyond.

Had that happen once when I was standing in the kitchen. Never did find the source. I assumed a stud or joist had cracked. 

That would be scary!

Odd the focus of the sound would be where the glass had just been.

When my garage door spring broke, I thought either a sandbag or a body had been thrown against the front of the house.

I second (or is it third?) the garage door spring. We had on let go last year, scared the bejeebers out of us, thought someone shot the house with a 12ga slug!

I've gone over the entire house and yard.  The sound appeared to be within a foot or so of where I was sitting.  Garage is on the other end of the house, Nothing seems to be broken.  Lots of thunder in the area later in the day.

This sounded like my .32 autloading pistol, but it's in another room and hasn't been fired in over a year.

The sound seemed to beRIGHT BEHIND THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DESK and nearly under my elbow.

Tom, is your foundation slab or pier and beam...?  

Pier and beam can make interesting and sometimes unnerving sounds when settling; a slab foundation can suddenly crack with a sound that literally sounds like a gunshot ~ men will jump, women scream, children freeze and dogs bark.  Voice of experience here...  :huh:

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do you think some kid hit your house with a pellet gun?

Way too loud and there really isn't any place anyone could have hit that side of the house.

1 hour ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

We only get those types of noise in the winter here. Usually when it gets extremely cold:o:blush:

I don't think 89 and breezy qualifies.  I hear about that all the time but I lived a lot of my early life in northern Utah and never experienced that phenomenon.  (Hey, look!  I spelled that right and didn't even have to look it up.  :D)

Had that happen here in Oklahoma, a loud popping noise like a rifle shot, when sitting at the computer.  Simultaneously, the house began to whip back and forth from a 3 something quake.  The following year I had to have the foundation repaired.

Sonic boom from your dog running through the room?

16 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Tom, is your foundation slab or pier and beam...?  

Pier and beam can make interesting and sometimes unnerving sounds when settling; a slab foundation can suddenly crack with a sound that literally sounds like a gunshot ~ men will jump, women scream, children freeze and dogs bark.  Voice of experience here...  :huh:

Now that's a possibility.  I had the place leveled before we moved in.

26 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Condensation on the OJ glass, pulled a vacuum then broke when you picked it up? 

Imis

Don't think so.  About a two second delay between moving the glass and the noise.  I picked it up, turned back around about 90degrees, then the bang.

Hey Forty, being in Az., were you using a Thirsty Stone type coaster? These things have a tendency to stick to the bottom of a sweating glass for a second, then drop free. Since they are basically a rock, they hit pretty hard when they land. I've done it myself.

Archived