SASS Wire Forum

1911 problem

Bugler

Hey Wild Bunch Shooters!

Any of you keen eyed 1911 gurus tell me what is wrong with my Springfield Armory Standard 1911 from this casing? The gun has been ultra reliable until Sunday....this is only one of several casings....Shot extractor?

Bugler

PS. This gun has fired many thousands of rounds without a hitch.

.45 acp casing 002.JPG

.45 acp casing 003.JPG

.45 acp casing 004.JPG

Well, were you finding these cases jammed into the front of the ejection port with the slide partially closed?   Pretty typical of a broken/missing ejector that does not kick the fired case out from under the extractor's hook at the rearmost point of slide motion.  Yep, check your ejector - loose or missing or a broken nose of ejector, most likely.   If loose, it WILL be missing if you don't get it fixed real soon.

Also check that the extractor is not turning due to a loose fitting firing pin stop  - this error is called "clocking" of the extractor.   The flat at the rear of the extractor should be parallel to the recess (slot) in the frame for the hammer and firing pin stop.  If not parallel, then the hook of the extractor is not in the right position to get a good grasp of the rim of the cartridge.   Usually fixed with an oversize firing pin stop plate, or a new extractor.

Since you have several thousand rounds through the gun, also check that you have good tension on the extractor hook.   To check, take slide off, slide a live (or heavy dummy) round up the "bolt" face until the rim catches under the extractor hook.   Hold slide horizontal and sight up (just as it is when firing).  Shake the slide with a good firm sharp shake.  If cartridge pops out easily, tension is light (a usual problem).  If cartridge is hard to slide under or remove by hand, or round can't slip under the hook when feeding from magazine, tension if too high or hook is badly shaped.   Extractor tensioning and tuning might be something you leave for a 1911 smithy.  Real loose extractor tension can cause cases to be extracted and then freely dumped into the action where slide crushes them, or it can simply fail to pull the case out of the chamber.  Either is bad news, but the ejector problem mentioned first seems to be your best suspect to check first.

Good luck, GJ

GJ.....yes to your question of the casing into the front of the ejection port and slide partially closed.....getting magazine out was a bearcat to say the least. Also, I changed out the recoil spring last year with a Wolff 18 lb. spring. Am using 230 RNL with 6 grains of Unique and have been very happy with that load for many years.

Will do the tests that you mentioned........

Bugler

If it's a fairly new Springfield, you will likely find that the ejector is not pinned in like in the past. They have seen fit to not drill the frame and pin them in. Not a big deal as once the gun is assembled the ejector can't go anywhere.

I run a lighter action spring.

11 hours ago, Bugler said:

GJ.....yes to your question of the casing into the front of the ejection port and slide partially closed.....getting magazine out was a bearcat to say the least. Also, I changed out the recoil spring last year with a Wolff 18 lb. spring. Am using 230 RNL with 6 grains of Unique and have been very happy with that load for many years.

Will do the tests that you mentioned........

Bugler

Your 6.0gn load of Unique is at the bottom end-Up it to 6.5-6.8gn.

Put the old recoil spring back in for now........

Sloppy oil the rails and bbl lugs.

OLG

Archived