SASS Wire Forum

chamaza

So yeah, you probably "can shoot it" but it will just go pop and swell the brass and the bullet will rattle down the barrel.  So like, if you had your Sharps rifle but no ammo except one .44-40 (or .44 magnum or whatever), and the bad guy is coming through the door, then yeah shoot it.  Although it might be more effective to just hide behind the door and club him with the Sharps. :)

I am guessing you are asking about the new pistol cartridge from Magnum Research - the .429 Desert Eagle.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/1/18/tested-the-new-magnum-research-429-de-cartridge/

The DE can NOT be shot in a 45-70 rifle - it's too small to fit the chamber and too small to fit the barrel bore.

The 45-70 is a real large rifle cartridge, and rimmed so that lever action guns of old design work with it easily (especially for reliable extraction).  The .429 DE is a fairly short but large diameter pistol cartridge, and not only is not rimmed, it's head is rebated (smaller diameter than the case body).  The calibers don't even match up - .458 for the 45-70, and .429 for the Desert Eagle.  So even a mechanical conversion of any existing .45-70 rifle would not be an easy job at all. 

Only Magnum Research is working on this cartridge, and only concerned with making it work in their Desert Eagle semi-auto pistol.   They will probably have no interest in making a rifle designed for this cartridge.   I could see someone building a semi-auto "carbine" for this round (perhaps in an AR style) in several years if this cartridge catches on.   Based on Magnum Research's kinda checkered history in designing new cartridges (or guns) that "click" with the mainstream of the firearms industry, I'd wager this cartridge will be just a very minor player for a while.  Just MHO.

Good luck, GJ

Archived