SASS Wire Forum

New Dillon XL750 reloader....

The Original Lumpy Gritz

Dillon sez yes.  but, they won't take used 550s in on trade... drat... woulda saved me the hassle of selling mine off.  I like that the primer system is more like the 550B, tho' they say they're not interchangeable.

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You're 'rite', they don't.........:o

For folks that run a 650, how is the XL750 'mo-better'?

OLG

Just guessing it is the primer system. 

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I've been run'n a D/550 since 1987.

Never had any such issue.........;)

OLG

I also have never had that problem with my 550. The 650 has been exciting twice. 

29 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I've been run'n a D/550 since 1987.

Never had any such issue.........;)

OLG

Simply means you haven’t had the experience. Does not make one wiser. 

From reading the Book of Face the 750 has a new priming system that's much easier to swap large to small and back again. They've also modified the shell advancement system to make it much smoother. 

The new priming system required modification of the press frame and is therefore NOT able to be retrofit to older presses. The shell system IS able to be retrofit. 

BTW OLG, they have a "chat" feature on their webpage, that's where I went and asked your question.   And mine.  Like you, I've been using a 550B since 1987 and love it and the second one I got about 2007!  And would've upgrated to the 650 many years ago, except for that primer system.  I still don't under stand how they can pop... I've crushed primers from the side, crinkled the cup down to next to nothing, and never had one pop.

Looks like they went to the 550 primer setup instead of the rotary like the 650       GW

39 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What was/is the cause for the primer tube to blow?

OLG

It was brass with a tight primer pocket. Seated the primer it was a bit tight and boom. I can't remember the brand brass right now.

38 Special. With some extra special in it.

Double cannelur.

Possible military brass.

1 minute ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

It was brass with a tight primer pocket. Seated the primer it was a bit tight and boom. I can't remember the brand brass right now.

38 Special. With some extra special in it.

Double cannelur.

Possible military brass.

Loaded thousands and thousands of 38 on mine, with all brands of brass and primer.

Head scratcher.......:huh:

OLG

The thing I don’t understand is how the primer tube blows up. The primer that is Bri f seated is several spaces in the primer rotor away from the tube. Would have to “chain fire”  it’s way around. While I know that it has happened, seems like a remote possibility.  And yes, I’ve crushed primers sideways, upside down. Had them catch on edge and split them in 2. Only primer I ever popped was on my LEE Loadmaster, and that was totally my fault. Something was hung up and I gave it a little pop and POW!!!! Scared the begeebers out of me! 

Hoss, I also said that a chain fire wasn't going to happen in a 650.  Well, within a couple of thousand rounds of that statement here on the wire I touched off 100 federal magnum small pistol.  Quite a show I can tell you but the containment vessel worked great.  Took out both my overhead lights but otherwise was just noise.  Dillon replaced the primer feed and I was back in business but a quite a bit more careful seating the primer.  Don't know how many rounds I have loaded on the 650 but from 10 to 20 thousand each year since 1992 or 1993.  So for me (knock on wood) its a very rare occurrence.

Reb -

Had two primers (small pistol Federals) go off in the 650 I USED to run to load .38 special.   I don't load .38 special and I don't run 650s anymore.   Primers I am sure detonated while seating, and ran around the feed plate and up into the primer tube.   Possibly S&B brass tight primer pockets, but one was commercial Winchester brass for sure.

Good to see they have gone to the one primer at a time out of the feed tube for the 750!

Good luck, GJ 

I had about 40 primers go off a few years ago in my 650, It scared the he!! out me. The misses was upstairs and wanted to know if I was all right . The picture is the primer tube and it was hard to get out. The shell plate was also affected , had to return it to Dillon once they sent me parts.

Nawlins

Dillen primer tube.jpg

I’m surprised Dillion didn’t (or maybe hasn’t yet!) figured out a refit for the 650 primer system. Of course they may be hoping lots of folks will buy a new 750. 

Maybe the newcomers will start off on the 750's. You know ,,,, the ones that are upgrading, or want to go to a progressive "blue" machine .I've been using a 650 for about 15 years. I can't understand for the life of me how primers can go off in the tube. I know it does, but don't understand how. 99.8% of the primers I use are CCI and I've crushed quite a few all kind of ways. I use  Federal's for S/G because that's usually what my LGS has. B/P all the way, except for the modern stuff.

Isom

Typically, I like to have the latest and greatest.  I just don't see anything in the 750 that would make me want to sell my 650 just to get the 750.

I will buy a few extra raffle tickets to win one though.  Would be nice to have both so I don't have to swap primer systems between large and small.

Totes

Aw Heck.  I'm lazy and I admit it.  I also whine alot.  So after about the 10th time I whined about changing over from "Large" primes to "Small" primers, my sweetheart just looked up a said "So just get another loader and quit whining."  Therefore I have been loading on a pair of Dillon 650s for a long long time.  I see no reason to change em out.  Many hundred thousands of rounds with nary a problem except a few warn parts.  KEEPERS!!!

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Aw Heck.  I'm lazy and I admit it.  I also whine alot.  So after about the 10th time I whined about changing over from "Large" primes to "Small" primers, my sweetheart just looked up a said "So just get another loader and quit whining."  Therefore I have been loading on a pair of Dillon 650s for a long long time.  I see no reason to change em out.  Many hundred thousands of rounds with nary a problem except a few warn parts.  KEEPERS!!!

This is what I plan to do. I load .38 special and .32 H&R magnum on my 650. I’m expanding into.45 lc, .45 lc BP, and .45 ACP. The perfect excuse to get a 750 with three toolheads.

Capt. BB  :)

ABSOLUTELY (Stolen famous movie line)  :rolleyes:

PS:  Forgot to add, I also have a dedicated Tool Head with Dies and Powder Measure for each cartridge I load.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I haven't a clue how to change out the primer size on a 650 but there is a short cut to changing over on a 550.  Just change the primer post and the tube. Everything else stays bolted down and adjusted. 

How I've done mine for over 30 years now.

X2 on dedicated tool heads for each caliber.

I even have a couple of spares.......

Starting to wonder if maybe Dillon's lawyers told them to make changes to the 650.

Like when Dillon went to the scissors linkage on the PM's. :huh:

OLG

Yes, extremely shocking.

Dillon sent me everything necessary immediately.

Which was nice.

It is interesting that this has happened enough to replace the 650 entirely with a new model.

Lets see if Dillon makes me/us and offer I cannot refuse.

IMG_3873[1].JPG

It’s kinda surprising they did not figure out a retro-fit for 650s from a product liability standpoint. I’m going to keep going with my 650 unless they make an offer I can’t refuse. 

I see see no value in the variable speed case feeder. That seems to be just fluff to me. 

Archived