SASS Wire Forum

MEMBERSHIP QUESTION

Tequila Shooter

No more annual dues.   Plus an immediate boost to the organization.

I have no clue the reason for the upgrade offers.   There may not be a specific reason.

But, its not unusual for organizations to offer special upgrade promotions to members

periodically.    It allows for those who have considered upgrading their membership status

an opportunity to do it at a discounted special rate.

Nothing unusual about that.

..........Widder

800 bucks for a life membership is not bad if I was younger, but it would take me another 12.3 years to break even.  At my age, I think I'm better off with the yearly route.  It's hard to plan 12 years in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

There is no difference 

Lifers get gold badges.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:37 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I have no clue the reason for the upgrade offers.   There may not be a specific reason.

But, its not unusual for organizations to offer special upgrade promotions to members

periodically.    It allows for those who have considered upgrading their membership status

an opportunity to do it at a discounted special rate.

Nothing unusual about that.

..........Widder

Yep what Widder said.

2 hours ago, Charles B. Gatewood SASS #48517 said:

Did anyone notice the Raffle for a life membership and the alias "Four Aces" SASS# 1111? The Member Bulletin was sent at 9:04 this morning and the drawing is today?!?

CBG

I donated this for proceeds to go to the scholarship fund.  It was my son's alias & #.  When my wife passed away earlier this year, she wanted him to have her #.  This # was originally given to China Camps daughter, who then gave it to my son, along with giving him the alias.   A bunch of history with this.  Is there a link?

A correction, as I read the bulletin, the raffle ends tomorrow and the winner drawn on Sep 3rd.  

Last Chance!

Don't forget to get your tickets for the

"Four Aces" Raffle! Raffle ends Midnight on Monday, September 2.

Winner will be drawn on Tuesday, September 3.

Tickets are only $5 each or 5 for $20!

30 minutes ago, Griff said:

A correction, as I read the bulletin, the raffle ends tomorrow and the winner drawn on Sep 3rd.  

Last Chance!

Don't forget to get your tickets for the

"Four Aces" Raffle! Raffle ends Midnight on Monday, September 2.

Winner will be drawn on Tuesday, September 3.

Tickets are only $5 each or 5 for $20!

Hi Griff! Really like the backstory! Thanks for sharing! 

Yes, I saw the correction when I opened the email on the pc instead of the iPhone.

CBG

On 9/1/2019 at 1:50 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Another difference I've noticed is with an annual membership, some people get 5 year milestone pins.

Did this just start? 

The reason I ask is I just got a 5 year pin ........ after 8 years! :D

2 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

Did this just start? 

Oh no!:o Let's not start this again.

5 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

Did this just start? 

Yes, it just started. The pins appear to be given in five-year increments. I'm not sure of the system as Hubby's 21st year was this year and he did not received a pin for 20 years then.

16 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Yes, it just started. The pins appear to be given in five-year increments. I'm not sure of the system as Hubby's 21st year was this year and he did not received a pin for 20 years then.

Never got my 15 year.

Oh well:lol:

16 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Never got my 15 year.

Is this just a fund raiser, or a SASS  life support effort?  It seems like they are trading long- term sustaining annual membership dues for an immediate shot in the arm to get past immediate financial needs.   If the latter, I would prefer them to describe the unusual needs, and ask for an annual dues increase.  I would happily pay it rather than see them trade their future revenue to meet immediate and temporary needs. 

My experience has been that organizations (and businesses or agencies) tend to exercise less care and diligence in their budget expenditure decisions when their treasury gets temporarily fat.  Then when the money runs down--and it will-- they go into desperation mode and  try to borrow against their future with efforts like this. 

The money inevitably gets thin again.  I say "inevitably" because they are not increasing their markets or pricing, and they are reducing their long-term annual revenue intake.   Once everyone becomes a "Lifetime Member" and has their cool gold badge, then who finances the organization? 

They should seek and deliver ongoing and new services that attract sustaining new memberships/dollars or they should simply justify dues increases, as necessary and/or realistic.  That has to go along with living within their means.  But trading their long-term income sustainment for meeting immediate objectives/needs appears as a sign of financial desperation and a recipe for long term squeeze in the SASS revenue and ability to deliver services, keep commitments, and survive as an entity.    

This is obviously just one person's view.  So if you disagree, help me understand how this can be a long term sustaining benefit to SASS.  

For me,  I'd rather make the $$ decision annually, based on an assessment of SASS service, what is needed to meet SASS financial needs, at the time, and assessment of my own physical capability.   Once I pay for a Life Membership, I lose the ability to "vote with my feet", if the organization becomes unresponsive.   I see that accountability as important. 

Organization sustainment needs to be about sound, long-view revenue management and investment, not just about patching budgetary holes, financing shiny new facilities (build it and they will come), and/or filling temporary revenue dips.  Every part of an organizational budget needs to be self-sustaining.   I have no way to know if that is the case here.   Perhaps someone can provide a closer look into the SASS long term, and change my thinking.  

10 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

Did this just start? 

The whole pin program is fairly new - I received my 20 years pin and have been a member since '96. Regardless, I am all in on this plan....not sure I'll be around in life much longer to get any "bargain" or savings from becoming a lifer, but so what.....SASS has been good to me much more than I have been good for it, but want to up my support for the organization that has afforded me so many good friends over the years. Plus - it would make a nice personal Christmas gift :P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I would love to take advantage of the Life Membership offer however,  its almost time to renew my SASS Affiliated Merchant program for 2020. I am happy to renew annually - and plan to do so for MANY years to come.  What does SASS give me?  The most fun shooting discipline in the world, advocacy for gun rights, an organization, albeit run by human beings with flaws - just like its membership - rules/ROC for standardized matches (relatively speaking) - and a community of folks who have become some of my best friends!  I love this game and the folks who play it. I am proud of SASS.  I am proud to be a member.

Big hugs,

Scarlett

Thanks, Scarlett!

Refreshing to see a positive posting ...

20 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Never got my 15 year.

Never got my 20 year pin!!:o

Joined in 2003, but went life within a year. Didn't get a 15 year pin last year which (correct me if I'm wrong) is when they started giving out the pins I think. Is it because lifers don't get pins.  Have even upgraded my SASS membership.

33 minutes ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

Joined in 2003, but went life within a year. Didn't get a 15 year pin last year which (correct me if I'm wrong) is when they started giving out the pins I think. Is it because lifers don't get pins.  Have even upgraded my SASS membership.

Just call the SASS office and they will fill you in on the details of the pin program. 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I became a Life Member, a Founders Ranch member, a Museum member, a Hall of Fame Member, etc. etc. I NEVER received anything except some excellent Founders Ranch benefits. Years ago, I got a sloppy Joe sandwich at the club ranch house. The board meetings, dinners, etc. that were promised never materialized. I have occasionally asked what happened but haven't complained because I enjoy the shooting.

Archived