SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Coach Gun problems

Old Ranger

Fairly new to game and I’m having some problems with lite primer hits on the rear trigger ( left side),, have around 50 rounds through it and shooting WinAA. Looking to get some input as to what I can do to eliminate this problem.

Has the gun had an action job? I have seen the lever spring lightened up too much to where the gun will open after the first shot, thereby not having proper headspace when you pull the back trigger. Try running 25 rounds while pulling the back trigger first and see if the problem then moves to the front trigger.

I have had to replace the firing pins on stoegers. The tips mushroomed a bit. They had a lot more than 50 rounds through them though.  Its fairly easy to check. Long Hunter (longhunt.com) sells a spanner wrench for $15 that makes the process much easier.  You just unscrew the fitting where the firing pin sits. Pull em out and take a look. Long Hunter also sells the firing pins if you need to replace one.  

56 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Remove the buttstock, and using brake or carb cleaner flush the inside of the rec'r out.

If that don't fix the issue.

Check your firing pins.

OLG

Thanks Gritz,

I just did exactly this today, hope it works , was starting to get a little frustrated with it at matches. It’s a stock gun no action work at all has been done, thought I’d give it a season and then make upgrades .

Shortcake's Stoeger did this last year at Gunsmoke. Gave it to Briscoe. He found that the receiver had settled back into the stock, and the stock was dragging one of the hammers, slowing it down. Shaved off some wood and we were back in action.

20 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Remove the buttstock, and using brake or carb cleaner flush the inside of the rec'r out.

If that don't fix the issue.

Check your firing pins.

OLG

What he said, and also try to flush out the firing pin bores. may have metal shavings or heavy grease in them.

I've never had or shot one, but I do see a lot of shooters at matches who  have problems with them misfiring on one barrel or the other.  I just attributed it to looseness in their breech locking.  Could be wrong.  

Good advice is given above.   Also consider different primer brands.  Federals have been softer and easier to detonate than most others, in the past.  CCL is among the hardest.  But that's in the past.  I understand Federal and Speer (CCL) have somehow 9 merged, so who knows which equipment will end up being used in their primer manufacture.  I'm being careful right now about buying huge lots of primers at one time.  

My opinion: Put some marker or metal smith dye on your hammers, if nothing is dragging don't start shaving. We only take wood or metal off if it serves a purpose.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill Mathewson, 37826 said:

I have had a few 20ga AAs that were dished making the primer sit deeper causing no fires. 

That has always been my misfire problem. After changing out pins and trying to figure out what was causing it, finally realized it was an ammo issue!

Had this problem with my first Stoeger, the locking mechanism had enough play, after a year of use,  that it would open a bit preventing the second barrel from firing. Added a bit of metal with the MIG welder to the locking lug, ground it back and refitted it so it locked up correctly. Problem went away. Since switched to an SKB, so the Stoeger is in the safe now. Repaired a fellow shooter's gun doing the exact same thing. 

These Stoegers may have had soft metal for the locking lug or were not properly fitted to begin with. You get what you pay for...

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OP-Is the SG 'stock', or has it been fiddled with?

OLG

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OP-Is the SG 'stock', or has it been fiddled with?

OLG

Everything is stock out of box

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, update on issues with Stoeger Coach gun regarding lite hits, cleaned out action with brake cleaner, ordered and installed SS firing pins from Longhunter,and installed lighter lever spring while I was in there. Okay first round click and nothing, Win AA, low noise low recoil fresh out of box, just happen to bring along a box of reloads that I just completed, next 20 rounds not one misfire, so I believe half my problem was the factory ammo. What do you think?

11 minutes ago, Old Ranger said:

Ok, update on issues with Stoeger Coach gun regarding lite hits, cleaned out action with brake cleaner, ordered and installed SS firing pins from Longhunter,and installed lighter lever spring while I was in there. Okay first round click and nothing, Win AA, low noise low recoil fresh out of box, just happen to bring along a box of reloads that I just completed, next 20 rounds not one misfire, so I believe half my problem was the factory ammo. What do you think?

Agree about the AA ammo-Look for 'dished' case head on the one that didn't fire.

Go to Wall-mart and get a 100pk of shells, and give'em a go.

OLG

4 hours ago, Old Ranger said:

Guy was having similar problems at the last match - another guy gave him a box of ammo and that seemed to solve it.  Can't recall the ammo he gave him - but the guy having trouble was definitely using AAs.  If I recall they were looking at the primers when they compared ammo and some remark was made about the primers.

Archived