SASS Wire Forum

But, officer...

Sixgun Sheridan

Interesting. Glad no one was killed.

As an aside, no one should click on the add for the Lukvip leather phone covers.

In doing research I found that it appears Lukvip has a hate following of non-English speakers trying to steer folks away.

Some comments I found:

Lukvip.com is a fraudulent site. It is 100% fake and is been developed to trap and deceive the emotions of innocent and honorable people. All the products they are selling are fake and troublesome.”

“For being a legitimate site, a company should provide essential details to the people who are willing to shop. But Lukvip has hidden all of its information, either it’s been owner details, contact and address information. Therefore, in case of any mishappening no one can be held liable.”

———————————————

Anyway, I found the ad and the DuckDuckGo info very humorous. 

Pat, I don't think most of us get that ad... check your cookies.

Plane's a home-built KR 2, powered by a modified 2-liter VW air-cooled engine.

I'm always astonished that any pilot can "run out of gas..."  <_<

43 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm always astonished that any pilot can "run out of gas..."  <_<

Problem with a lot of these small home-built aircraft is that the controls are often in bad locations. John Denver was killed when he ran out of fuel in one tank, and had to reach back behind his head to switch tanks and ended up losing control of the aircraft.

3 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Problem with a lot of these small home-built aircraft is that the controls are often in bad locations. John Denver was killed when he ran out of fuel in one tank, and had to reach back behind his head to switch tanks and ended up losing control of the aircraft.

Yeah, I was just thinking about that.  He'd checked the fuel in both tanks before taking off and mis-judged.

Gotta wonder what sort of mind would put the #$&^% valve in such a place!  AND why someone would sign off on it....

I don't normally consider myself superstitious, but I don't believe I would have accepted that tail number.

That plane is a kit plane made in 1989. And it was assigned that number in 1989.

In 1988 a Cessna with that tail number crashed and killed the pilot.

I believe if they told me 5391 Mike for my new plane, I'da said thanks but no thanks. Maybe flash back to the fraternity days - thank you sir, could I have another.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Because he was flying way too low.

3 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Because he was flying way too low.

Or was it "Rocky Mountain High"?

I saw a bit about this on the news here in Portland this morning, including a bit about him having to disassemble and put the plane on a trailer to take back home.  Apprently his other plane had it's landing gear stuck in the down position the day prior, according to news bit I watched.  I tired to find the segment, but could only find the dash cam footage.

1 hour ago, Red Eye Jim said:

I saw a bit about this on the news here in Portland this morning, including a bit about him having to disassemble and put the plane on a trailer to take back home.  Apprently his other plane had it's landing gear stuck in the down position the day prior, according to news bit I watched.  I tired to find the segment, but could only find the dash cam footage.

Sounds like somebody isn't doing a good job maintaining his airplanes. I also noticed the haphazard way he landed.

4 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Here's the State Trooper's dashcam of the landing:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-pacific-highway-south-in-spanaway/

Definitely not an average shift for that particular officer. :blink:

Ah!  Got him for not using his turn signal!

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Sounds like somebody isn't doing a good job maintaining his airplanes. I also noticed the haphazard way he landed.

I admit that I never actually managed to get my flight hours in, but I did pass ground school.  (I may not be a pilot, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...)

Anyway, if he was out of fuel and that was an X Plane (Home built aircraft) wouldn't he had been doing that landing dead stick with no power assist?

Either way though you're right about him taking short cuts.  The news made it sound like his regular commute to work involved flying every day, so it could be that he got a little lax on his pre-flight and didn't actually verify his fuel load, among other things...

Either way the FAA is going to nail him for doing something wrong. Unless it's something completely out of the pilot's control (bird strike, lightning) any flight that goes wrong is always blamed on pilot error or improper pre-flight procedures.

The feds are very quick to label something "pilot error" or "maintenance error".  They have 832 reasons why something can never be "controller error." 

It was quite a culture shock to go from the USMC where aircraft accidents were always investigated by "a board of qualified officers" to the airlines where everything was investigated by an outside bunch of folks, some of whom were downright idiots and others were just rear ends.

PF

Archived