SASS Wire Forum

Definitely OT ~ painting sails?

Need suggestions on a paint I can use on sailcloth (dacron or polyester).   

Finally have time to work on the sailboat.  She's "dry berthed" on her trailer, so I was shocked when I opened her up  to find standing water inside!  Seems the hatch leaked during the huge spring storms this year, and the mains'l and at least one of the jibs have huge rust stains.  New sails are not in the budget, which seems to be the standard answer to any sail topic on the sailing forums....    :(   

Any ideas?  :huh:

Rust on a Dacron (presumably) sail is a tough nut to crack.

The traditional answer is soaking in a solution (5%) of oxalic acid followed by immediate and thorough rinsing.  Supposedly the acid breaks down the rust.  Lots of disagreement among sailors re whether this works, works well, and is environmentally acceptable.  Oxalic is nasty stuff.

I think your best bet is to take the sail to a good local sail loft, and ask for help.  They may, at least, be able to reduce it to a bearable level.  Remember that everything you apply has the potential to weaken the material, destroy the stitching, and remove the finish/stiffness of the cloth.  A stained, stiff and well-shaped sail is better than a baggy rag hanging off your mast.

Fair winds and following seas!

LL

PS: Just an after-thought - given the soaking history, are you sure it's rust?  Some mildew looks a lot like rust, but can easily be removed with diluted household bleach; you might want to try it on a small area.  LL

14 minutes ago, Catlow4697 said:

This may sound stupid but . If you can get the rust out add more rust to tint to a more even color

Not stupid.  There are intentionally rust-colored sails, known as "tanbark", commonly used on traditional-design boats.  However, dying sails is a tricky business, and not likely to produce uniform results by a non-professional on a used sail.  Think Jerry Garcia tie-dyed.

LL

Thanks, Loophole... I tried a stiff brush and soapy water earlier.  No joy.  I'll give the bleach a try this morning!  Lightly, of course.  But I'm not optimistic; the poor thing is plumb ugly enough to gag a maggot - and the stains are through-and-through.  :(

Being in the Fresno area, we have no local sail lofts; nearest I know of would be Alameda - seven to eight hours driving round trip.  I have been there before, and from past dealings feel pretty sure they'd just want to sell me new sails. 

The fabric itself is still nice and stiff, but I'd be embarrassed to hoist it... hence the thought about repainting the entire thing with a bright white paint.  I know, kinda "okie."  But I'd rather spend twenty bucks on a can of paint than $900 for a new sail when the old one is still sound.  

Damn... and the hatch seemed snug... has never leaked!   :huh:

41 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Cut off the mast, get a big ole oil/gas burner and make it a TUMA boat, Hardpan. 

surprised.gif  Not hardly, Badger....   :blink:

(Actually, the mast is off... and the bottom is now dark blue, too.)

A Work in Progress...  :)

743631432_RodandMorgan.thumb.jpg.d861e8a391f9dc52422ba520313b3e03.jpg

Setback of Stains...  :(

1635743542_MorganStainedMain.thumb.jpg.8cf2eaa93aa3646e3d807bd819e995fa.jpg

Sail is 23 ft tall.  

Too late.  Scrubbed with soap and light bleach solution... then rinsed thoroughly.  Not coming out - ever.  

If nothing else I'll use exterior Latex, or even white Rustoleum.  Actually Rustoleum does make a Fabric and Vinyl paint, but it's only available in "rattle cans."  I want something that I can roll on, that will remain somewhat flexible and won't flake off.  Aarrgghh....!

There's a second main that's not nearly as bad, and three headsails.  Evidently there was something in the water that was red; they all have some dye streaks.  Darnit!  

The two spinnakers are going to go through the washing machine!  ;)

Contact one of your artist friends, maybe a tattoo artist who specializes in reworking an undesired tattoo, and design a mural/picture to camouflage the stains.  Have your Boy Scouts do a good deed and earn an artist merit badge at the same time!

To me, the stains look like progressive stages of a solar eclipse.

8 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Contact one of your artist friends, maybe a tattoo artist who specializes in reworking an undesired tattoo, and design a mural/picture to camouflage the stains.  Have your Boy Scouts do a good deed and earn an artist merit badge at the same time!

To me, the stains look like progressive stages of a solar eclipse.

J-Bar, I likes the way you think.  :)

Mebbe I could make a big ol' stencil of Jerry Garcia....  ^_^

Image result for jerry garcia cartoon

Hardpan;

Call your boat's class association. More than likely, somebody's updated their rags, and the old sails can be had for a song.  North often has used sail, too.

On 8/1/2019 at 12:23 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

surprised.gif  Not hardly, Badger....   :blink:

(Actually, the mast is off... and the bottom is now dark blue, too.)

A Work in Progress...  :)

743631432_RodandMorgan.thumb.jpg.d861e8a391f9dc52422ba520313b3e03.jpg

Setback of Stains...  :(

1635743542_MorganStainedMain.thumb.jpg.8cf2eaa93aa3646e3d807bd819e995fa.jpg

Sail is 23 ft tall.  

OH, that sail  is just plain butt ugly. :lol:

But the boat is beautimus. :)

Archived