SASS Wire Forum

1st gun purchase

Fat Tuesday

If it works well & is fairly tight GREAT.  Love the alias .........

Don’t let the trombone shooters disparage your new double. A double was good enough for the Duke, it will do for us. By the way I shoot all three actions and they are all fun in their own right.

Awesome alias!

Welcome!!!!!

:D

Go to matches, try other peoples guns before you buy. Lots of folks will offer to let you try out their guns or at least handle them.

Welcome and get yourself a good hat

Imis

6 minutes ago, Fat Tuesday said:

Thanks folks for the input.. I have attended a match now and going back soon,  I've asked questions and looked at guns.  The only problem is nearly every one shot something different.  

It's true in cowboy that variety is the spice of life as it is everywhere else. Lots to wrap your head around as a new shooter but you will find it's all very exciting and will be a very enjoyable learning curve.

Standard offer to folks that don't twitch and will look me in the eye when they speak: Come to a match at Paradise Pass or any range in northern Indiana where I'm at and I will put guns in your hands to shoot a match. I'll not shoot and just guide you through. My ammo of course. 

8 hours ago, Fat Tuesday said:

Thanks folks for the input.. I have attended a match now and going back soon,  I've asked questions and looked at guns.  The only problem is nearly every one shot something different.  

I started with a Stoeger and used it without issues for several years and sold it for more than you paid for yours. I'd say you got a great deal. Marauders Old Irons is a really good website for working on your cowboy guns.

https://marauder.homestead.com/irons.html

As several have said go to a match, talk to folks (not while they are at the loading or unloading table), after the match many will let you try out their guns. I know there are plenty around Byhalia and Memphis that would let you shoot their guns.

Have fun and remember this isn't a game, it's a disease. Welcome to the addiction!!

Randy

5a2ef12c5e438_RandySaintEagle-PosseMember.JPG.975aa5d9bfcb1cc0ef0134b8254f0d4a.JPG.47f38d0b78f7922460899276bd62dc55.JPG

The price is right.. IF you live in a Free State where you don't have endless FFL restrictions.

Here in CA, the FFL are either incompetent, or rape you for transfer fees.
$100 + DROS + Background check is quite common in my area.

My reasonably-priced FFL dorked up four of my purchases, two of them wound up being returned to sender.
This means double shipping charges, restarting the DROS period, and restarting the CA 30 day waiting periods.
Yes, my business with him is concluded.

I saved $60 buying a Henry Frontier from a vendor in IL, but it wound up costing me more in time delays, and FFL fees than if I bought it from Sportsman's Warehouse.

My last four purchases from vendors outside of CA have all been bloody nightmares.

16 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Standard offer to folks that don't twitch and will look me in the eye when they speak: Come to a match at Paradise Pass or any range in northern Indiana where I'm at and I will put guns in your hands to shoot a match. I'll not shoot and just guide you through. My ammo of course. 

There are still clubs in Indiana that will let you in?? :D

2 hours ago, Ya Big Tree said:

There are still clubs in Indiana that will let you in?? :D

ONLY if I bring Kaya. Michigan going the same way!

Archived