SASS Wire Forum

Authorized Calibers

DanThePanMan

Howdy all. My name is Dan.

I recently discovered the Single Action Shooting Society and would like to participate. I’m having a hard time finding concrete info on exactly which calibers are allowed, and which manufacturers  make the best era-appropriate firearms. My goal is to get a rifle and two handguns preferably in the same caliber, and a shotgun.

I apologize if these are stupid questions, sorry to clutter your forums with my ignorance.

Not a stupid question if you don't know the answer!!  Check the "Shooter's Handbook" in the SASS website!!

Legal calibers in cartridge handguns are .32 up to .45 Colt ammo is lead only, must be under 1000 FPS , Rifles it's 25-20 to .45 Colt Lead only must be under 1400 FPS. Welcome to the best shooting game around.Oh, Shot guns and be 20,16.12 or 10 gauge.

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Welcome to the best game there is and the forum.

Ask away.

More importantly, DONT buy anything until you've been to at least one match.

I see that advice on here a lot - and it's sound advice.  But it only gets you so far.

I'd say more important is to read the shooters handbook through a time or two, and think about what it is you're wanting in this for.  

Me, I'm a history buff, so I went with older stuff - a 1860 Henry rifle for example.  It's not the best choice for competing - for reasons I'd thought of, and reasons I hadn't.  I knew when I bought it I'd have to contend with the "Henry hop", and that a one shot reload would be slow.  What I hadn't considered what that it forces another choice on me - that being, it makes it difficult to shoot Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.  The barrel (when shooting black powder) get's unbearably hot RIGHT NOW when you're shooting blackpowder, the easy fix being "wear a glove" - but the glove becomes a problem if you're shooting gunfighter.   Fun nut to try and crack though.

Anyway - it's what you're trying to do that's going to define what guns you get.  Which you may or may not see at a match (depending on your path)

Not a stupid question, and yes it's been asked before... and will be again.  "Generally" (as there are always exceptions), it's .32 to .45 in cartridges introduced before 1899, .36 to .44 for percussion arms.  16 - 10 ga for shotguns.

Shooter's Handbook

As for the other half of your question... Opinions vary greatly.  (Best firearms).   Go out to a local match & introduce yourself.  Ask there.  I happen to believe Colt & Winchester make the "best" old west guns... :P

Keeping to just main match calibers, the following are known by me to have been used by different shooters.  Those with a + have been used by me.

.25-20  [rifle only]

.32 S&W

.32 S&W Long

.32 H&R Magnum

7.65mm Nagant+

.38 Short Colt+

.38 S&W+

.38 Long Colt+

.38 Special

.357 Magnum

.380ACP

9mm

.38-40

.41 Long Colt

.41 Magnum

.44  Russian

.44 Colt

.44 Evans

.44 Special+

.44 Magnum+

.44-40+

.45 Cowboy Special

.45 S&W

.45 Colt+

.45 Auto Rim

.45 ACP

56-.50 Spencer (Rifle only)+

56-.56 Spencer Rifle only

This list comprises only calibers that I have seen be used, used myself, or that I have heard of people using.

The following could theoretically be used, if anyone had a gun chambered for them and had a mind to use them...

.38 M&H

.44 M&H

.44 Henry Centerfire

.44 S&W American

In other words, you've got a plethora of things you can choose from.   There are probably other [obscure] calibers that can be used that I am otherwise unaware of.   The more important question is, is the gun okay to use.  If it is, it doesn't matter much what caliber it is as long as it can, at least theoretically, be chambered for both a rifle and a pistol.   There are a handful of rounds that are only usable in one or the other, that are specifically said to be okay.

Good luck, and happy shooting.

As far as guns go, well that's a lot harder to pin down.   I've got a Henry, as well as Winchester models 66, 73, and 92s, (both originals and reproductions depending on model) an original Spencer, and some Colt Lightnings.   I don't have any Marlins, as being a southpaw I don't care for their side ejection.  I've tried a Henry Big Boy, and it has the same problem that the Marlin does, although I have to admit that I found it to be workable.  Nor do I have any of the more "obscure" guns that could be tried.   I am very much in the minority when I say that I have come to prefer the Lightning over the lever guns, but that's just me.  All of the above, except for the Big Boy, will have people who will claim that they are the best guns possible for our game.  It's all a matter of preference.

All of that being said, there is probably a reason why the Winchester 73 is the most commonly seen rifle, and why the Colt SAA [and it's clones] along with the Ruger are the most commonly seen pistols with everything else being an also ran.  Oh, and .38 Special is probably the most popular cartridge for various reasons, but other calibers have a strong following as well.   

When I take friends to a match for the first time, I bring them to my home and let them handle the different guns in my collection to let them see what they like and choose accordingly.   If you don't have access to someone with such a collection, you could perhaps compare different options at your local gun store.  When I was in the market for my first Lightning, I was lucky to find a store that had 3 different makes in stock, and I chose what I thought was the best one, for example.   And of course, you could always attend a match and discover many different pards who will let you try their guns with real live ammo.    These are all things worth exploring before you drop money on new guns.

One other caveat.  Don't fall into the trap of "I'll get this now, and something better later."  You'll be miserable with the poor quality of the thing you settle for.   Save up a little longer and get, if not your ideal guns, something that you at least really do like and can be happy with.  Many people have lamented that they got something cheap to start with and have nothing good to say about having done so.

Again, good luck and happy shooting.

As far as which manufacturers make the best period appropriate firearms...you'll get as many different opinions as there are manufacturers.  Go to some matches and see if people will let you try theirs.  See what you like and don't like.  Ask questions.  Good thought on using same caliber for revolver and rifle.

14 hours ago, DanThePanMan said:

Howdy all. My name is Dan.

I recently discovered the Single Action Shooting Society and would like to participate. I’m having a hard time finding concrete info on exactly which calibers are allowed, and which manufacturers  make the best era-appropriate firearms. My goal is to get a rifle and two handguns preferably in the same caliber, and a shotgun.

I apologize if these are stupid questions, sorry to clutter your forums with my ignorance.

Welcome!  And there is no such things as stupid questions!  There is such a thing as stupid answers :)

Here's a link that could answer a lot of your questions:  http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

Dan,

I agree with H.K.,buy the best you can afford even if it takes a little longer to get your gear together.It will be cheaper in the long run.It's been said many times "Buy once, cry once".(But nobody can buy just once,just like any other addiction).Welcome to the game and have fun!

Welcome.  A whole lot of good guns out there for our sport.  If you have the opportunity to try stuff, that's the way to go.  Can't go wrong with a SA made by Ruger, Uberti or Pietta.  Either a Winchester 73, an Uberti clone of a 66 or 73, a Marlin or a clone of a 92 work.  Winchester 97s and clones, WInchester 87 clones and a number of SXS shotguns work.  It really comes down to personal preference.  

Most commonly used chambering - .38 special for rifle and revolvers (which means you buy guns chambered for .357 magnum)

Next - .45 Colt

Next - probably the .32-20, .38-40, 44-40 "bottleneck" cartridges - especially good for black powder shooters!

Next - possibly the .44 spl and .44 mag chambering

Next - straight case .32s

And shotgun in 12 gauge - no need to even think about 20 gauge or (heaven help you) 16 gauge.

Sometimes reinventing the wheel is not required.  This is one.

Good luck, GJ

Welcome and a big Minnie Pearl style HOWDEEE!!

To add look in the handbook at categories as well.

IF you want a classic cowboy then your rounds are going to be 40 cal and up.  Restrictions on rifle and shotgun type.

Maybe want a Roy Rogers or so look, then restrictions on type of rifle.

A little study and trying a few guns out first will help a lot.

Howdy

Here is the scoop on revolver calibers, right out of the handbook:

Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt.

And here is the scoop on rifle calibers:

Must be centerfire of at least .32 caliber and not larger than .45 caliber.

Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt.

The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and .56-50. No rifle calibers such as .30-30 or .38-55 are allowed.

Buckaroo/Buckarette Category competitors choosing to utilize .22 caliber firearms must use standard velocity .22 caliber rim-fire ammunition only.

OK, let's get realistic now. A great many shooters want to start with 45 Colt because or its mystical connection with the Old West. However many of them find that standard loads in 45 Colt recoil more in their revolvers than they want. So then they go on the endless quest of loading the 45 Colt down with tiny charges of Smokeless and ridiculously light bullets, to reduce recoil. The cavernous case of 45 Colt often does not take kindly to such mistreatment. Then a lot of guys simply go to 357 Magnum/38 Special because it can be loaded down reasonably to have little recoil.

I'd say when I started 45 Colt and 357 Mag/38 Special were the two most popular calibers. I think 38 Special still is.

The Winchester Centerfire Calibers (WCF) such as 44-40, and 38-40 are popular with Black Powder shooters because the thin brass at the neck tends to expand better to seal the chamber in a rifle from blowback than 45 Colt does. However, be forwarned that 44-40 and 38-40 tend to be a bit 'fussier' to reload than 45 Colt.

Personally, I usually shoot 45 Colt in my revolvers and 44-40 in my rifles, stuffed to the gills with Black Powder. But I march to a different drummer. Sometimes I shoot 44 Russian in my antique S&W Top Breaks.

You must excuse me now because I have to clean my Henry and load up some BP 44-40 for the next match.

Lots of great information and advice already given. As you can see, there are lots of options. Just to keep it simple: where I shoot I would say over half of shooters use .38 caliber. It is more affordable, and many shoot a really light load that is easier to control.  Most of the rest shoot 45 Colt. A very small number shoot other calibers. For a rifle, most of the top shooters around here have either a Winchester 73 (from Uberti, Cimmaron, or the like) or a Marlin 1894. A small number have other rifles like a Rossi 92 or Henry. For pistols, the majority of shooters around here are using Ruger Vaqueros. There are a fair number of Colt clones from Pietta, Uberti and others.  For shotguns, the majority of shooters have either a double barrel, generally a Stoeger, or a Winchester 97 pump, in 12 gauge. Some shooting categories have certain gun or caliber requirements, so as others said, make sure you read the handbook. 

I started out with other guns either because I thought they were fun or I found a deal on one. After playing a while I decided I wanted to be competitive and I did learn that there was a reason most of the shooters had what I listed above. If you are just having fun, shoot whatever you want. If you really want to get competitive, there is a reason the top shooters are shooting what they do. I wish when I started someone would have just told me to buy an uberti 73, a pair of vaqueros and either the side by side Stoeger or a Winchester 97. Like many shooters around here, that is what I evolved to over time anyway, and it would have saved me some money and time. Not saying that is best for everyone, but it works for me and seems to be where a good number of shooters find themselves after a bit of time. 

Just Buy your Revolvers and Rifle in .38 WCF ( .38-40 ) and be done with it !!!!

And a Shotgun in Sweet 16 ....

This caliber will do it all Classic Cowboy through to Squaw Gripper,,, And it is the best Black Powder round out there ....

And the Rifle can be used for WB. If you want to shoot that you will need 3 --- 97s  or one Model 12 Winchester....

Most Folks will try a sell you on the Idea of .38s ,,,,,, Yes they are the Easyest and the Cheapest......

But who really wants to Follow the Herd ????

Jabez Cowboy

We are not Old West re-enactors.  You don't need exact replicas of 19th Century firearms.  Ruger single action revolvers are not replicas and merely resemble 19th Century designs.  As others stated, 38 Special is a favored cartridge for many reasons.  When you visit clubs, besides asking what guns and cartridges they favor, also ask what they bought when starting that turned out unsuitable and were replaced.  Learn from others mistakes.

1st choose a category, why because the category will have it's own list of probable candidates for firearms.  2nd decide if you want to be competitive in that category.  Rugers  are hard to beat in any category but if you are going age based don't forget the Blackhawk.  The big sights gives you an aiming point that you are probably already familiar with.   The 73 is the most used rifle and has tons of after market parts.  The Marlin 94 is a good rifle but some have been having trouble with the newer ones.  Lots of shotguns, the 97 is being slowly replaced by the SxS as techniques develop.  The next thing is do not spend a lot of time and money on guns without considering good or very good leather.  More good gun decisions have been ruined by bad leather than anything I know of.  3rd ammunition buy and learn to use a good loader, ask around for help if you don't already know( there are several million years of experience available on the wire).  More matches have been destroyed by squibs, failure to fire, failure to feed or failure to extract as well as crimp failures in the magazine than any other cause.  As Jabez said the 38/40 is a wonderful cartridge but if you really don't want to follow the herd then its the 32/20 for you.  5th learn the rules, nothing hurts more than receiving a penalty for something you didn't understand was illegal.  Many times your local club will allow variances that other clubs will not.  Travel hundreds of miles spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars not to mention the time just to foul out on a rule that you were not aware of.  6th met people the shooting is fun but the people are terrific....  (perhaps the wire excepted:P)     

Welcome Dan,

Before you buy anything, go to a couple of monthly shoots close to your location.  The folks there will be more than willing to help.  Most will offer to let you try what they have.  Make the choice that best suits you.

3 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

Here is the scoop on revolver calibers, right out of the handbook:

Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt.

And here is the scoop on rifle calibers:

Must be centerfire of at least .32 caliber and not larger than .45 caliber.

Must be in a caliber cartridge commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt.

The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and .56-50. No rifle cartridges calibers such as .30-30 or .38-55 are allowed.

Buckaroo/Buckarette Category competitors choosing to utilize .22 caliber firearms must use standard velocity .22 caliber rim-fire ammunition only.

OK, let's get realistic now. A great many shooters want to start with 45 Colt because or its mystical connection with the Old West. However many of them find that standard loads in 45 Colt recoil more in their revolvers than they want. So then they go on the endless quest of loading the 45 Colt down with tiny charges of Smokeless and ridiculously light bullets, to reduce recoil. The cavernous case of 45 Colt often does not take kindly to such mistreatment. Then a lot of guys simply go to 357 Magnum/38 Special because it can be loaded down reasonably to have little recoil.

I'd say when I started 45 Colt and 357 Mag/38 Special were the two most popular calibers. I think 38 Special still is.

The Winchester Centerf (F)ire cartridges Calibers (WCF) such as 44-40, and 38-40 are popular with Black Powder shooters because the thin brass at the neck tends to expand better to seal the chamber in a rifle from blowback than 45 Colt does. However, be for(e)warned that 44-40 and 38-40 tend to be a bit 'fussier' to reload than 45 Colt.

Personally, I usually shoot 45 Colt in my revolvers and 44-40 in my rifles, stuffed to the gills with Black Powder. But I march to a different drummer. Sometimes I shoot 44 Russian in my antique S&W Top Breaks.

You must excuse me now because I have to clean my Henry and load up some BP 44-40 for the next match.

Even the SHB contains a few misnomers!  :P  Otherwise, good info.

OP, my wife and I are noobs and both shoot smokeless powder, 38 caliber only.
Ruger Vaqueros, Marlin 1894CB and Stoeger Coach.

I have zero interest in the larger calibers, black powder or cap and ball.
Recoil in 38 revolvers is far lower than a 45 Colt of similar weight.
I prefer Bisley grips, my wife shoots plow handle.

These hardware choices prevent us from entering Classic Cowboy and the various Frontier black powder categories.

My leather is the Ted Blocker "Drifter".
Hers is the Ted Blocker "Dixie Belle"
This drop holster style is legal for B-Western, but my rig is far too plain (no bling) for B-Western.

I prefer to major in the "gunfighter" style with a minor in "double duelist".
My choice of style and hardware limits me to the "Gunfighter" and "Silver Senior" categories only.
My wife will shoot two-handed (classic?) using the strong right side hand.
Much practice is required.

These are the choices we made, and the limitations imposed by those choices.

TM Reb;

.32 Caliber guns aren't legal to bring into Canada ,,,,,,, And he Will Want to come here to Shoot if He is in his right Mind ....

The .38 - 40 is legal in all catigories except C & B ...

Jabez Cowboy

bgavin,

Your firearms are legal for frontier cartridge categories.  I shot the same firearms in SSFC at EOT.  However, your revolvers may not function reliably with blackpowder as the cylinder/barrel gaps may be to narrow for BP fouling.  I'm not trying to convert you to the Darkside.  However, you have suitable firearms if you ever want to try.

3 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

TM Reb;

.32 Caliber guns aren't legal to bring into Canada ,,,,,,, And he Will Want to come here to Shoot if He is in his right Mind ....

The .38 - 40 is legal in all catigories except C & B ...

Jabez Cowboy

Why no .32's?:huh:

OLG

Another something to consider...

You will be able to find all the guns you want in .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44-40 or .45 Colt with very little difficulty.   Might take a little more effort for .44-40, but the stuff is out there.  

Other calibers might be a little harder to nail down.   For example I started this game about 12 years ago.  I still don't have a complete battery in .44 Special, which I was certain was going to be my caliber of choice.   Other the other hand, I've got plenty of .45's.

Some one mentioned .32-20.   This is a great caliber, if you can find guns for it.   Caveat; I live in Massachusetts, where getting cowboy guns is annoyingly difficult.   Now, there is nothing wrong with the Ruger, I just *personally* don't care for it.  That's my preference, nothing more.  

But, you can't buy a new Colt or clone in this state, as they are deemed to be an unsafe design.   That means I am limited to things on the used market that were registered in state prior to 1998, antiques, or C&R eligible pistols.   This limits the pool and drives up the price.

Anyway, if you want a .32-20, that pretty much means finding a real Colt.   Good luck locating one in this state without paying a lot of money.   Here's my own history of the caliber...  

13 years ago, bought a Winchester 73.  Rifle, so no problems.

3 years later, I found a 1st Gen Colt at a shop in Maine.  Antique, so no problems.

3 years after that, I found a new 3rd Gen for sale in Massachusetts.   I asked the dealer how this was possible, and he said it had been sitting in his inventory for years cuz nobody wanted it.

4 years after that, I found a Winchester 92 at a local shop.

And then just last year, I found a Colt Lightning online in another state.  Antique, so no problems.

That's how long it took me to find guns in this caliber, that I could afford and were legal for me to purchase.  

By contrast, there's no doubt that I could find just about anything in .45 or .38 Spl I wanted this coming Saturday.

Keep that in mind as you consider what you want.

Welcome Dan   I shoot .38/.357 and have for 17 years. Why? I am cheap and lazy. Remember that Magnum ammunition is forbidden. We have a max velocity in pistols of 1000fps and rifle sat 1400fps. I put the same exact mild load in .357 cases that I do in .38  because my rifle (Uberti 1873) feeds better at .357 length. My sweetie's Marlin has a shorter barrel and so has a shorter mag tube and will not hold 10 rounds of .357 length. It feeds fine just wont hold enough rounds for a standard SASS 10 rifle stage. If you go to a couple of matches you may well find somebody willing to take you under their wing and help you avoid a LOT of mistakes that most of us made when new to the game. You have been given some great info by some folks I know personally. some I just know on the wire but I like to think they are my friends, too. Let us know where you are , we might be right around the corner.

Oh and get yourself a good hat

Imis

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

bgavin,

Your firearms are legal for frontier cartridge categories. 
However, you have suitable firearms if you ever want to try.

Yes, all are legal.
I was thinking my Stoeger didn't qualify, but a check of the matrix chart shows the only external hammer shotgun requirements are for Classic Cowboy, which I can't shoot because I'm 38 caliber only.

Thanks for the pointer!

Archived