SASS Wire Forum

Finding Pedersoli sights help?

Slowhand Bob, 24229

I entered this post over on the Classifieds by mistake, sorry.

Guys went out to shoot an older Pedersoli yesterday and though it is pretty old I had never fired it before.  Something that has definitely changed over all those years was my eyesight.  This rifle has the upgraded Pedersoli sights on it but the inserts that go inside the front sight tunnel are now missing AND that dang hole in the rear sights cup is way to small!  I am thinking that I should still be able to get an adjustable aperture rear for this model sight BUT do not know where to look for both the front and rear sight accs., who carries such toys now and would their fit still work for these older versions?  Just for info, this is an older Cimmaron import of the 45/70 Billy Dixon model and to think I had regretted not getting a 45-90 (This one almost knocked my wig off, firing from the bench!).

Over the years I find that some shooters who use the apperature sight tend to use a hole that is too small.

Makes everything fuzzy and gray.

Try unscrewing the rear sight cup and shooting through the threads.

You can use the front sight without incert and just center everything you see to where your want the bullet to go.

This will tell you if a larger hole will help you.

I personally do not have oposts or another incert in my front sighht if it is hooded.

Makes for faster to find the target down range.

On the rear sight hole, work backwards.

From large to small.

Keep going until the edges get blurry and then back up to a larger hole.

I may have a Hadley Style eyecup that should work.  PM sent

This helped me a lot

HOW TO USE TANG TYPE REAR SIGHTS AND INSERT TYPE FRONT SIGHTS .

You can buy a Hadley cup from MVA or Lee Shaver that will fit your Pedersoli tang sight. Tell them the type of sight you have and they should be able to sell you one with the proper threads. It should screw on easily. If it does not then it is the wrong threads and you need to call and discuss the problem with their technicians. If you force it the fine threads will be damaged and you will have to buy a new sight and Hadley cup.

Lots more good information on the BPCR.net Technical Information page.

tried to send PM, I guess your box is full  

I have a Pedersoli Hadley eyecup.  if you are interested in trying it and maybe buying it let me know . I also have a couple of front sight inserts I can send  

I tried to hunt with my Pedersoli once. Couldn't see a thing thru the sight before 8:30 in the morning. This thread is very helpful

Another fan of the tang mounted Soule Sight and the Hadley Eye Piece.

I have one on my 1874 Pedersoli Sharps and, along with it's double set trigger, has become a real accurate rifle.

Now if I could hold the thing and shoot it freehand.........

You do know they sold these by the pound??

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) close-up side view 013 (3).JPG

Thanks for the information guys.  CLK, had I posted some pictures of us in the woods you would have seen that I was hauling that big ole gun around in a wheel barrow most of the day.  Now that I have broke down, after far more than a decade, and shot the big Sharps I will probably be asking a lot more related questions pretty soon.  Though I did not find those front inserts for the hooded sight I did have the one that was already installed, a thin tapered post version(?), and  likely will just stick with it and get that Hadley eye piece for the back.

Glad for those who advised me to shoot this gun before making a decision on selling it, it was a hoot to shoot even if my shooting was not anything to brag on.  I am even now considering trying the same with the other big bore safe queen, an 1876 Uberti in 45/75.  This absolutely will require an even larger effort as the rounds for it would have to be reloaded first.  Problems, problems problems!!!

Bob, I gave a Pedersoli sight that should work on your 76. You could use the same eyecup on the Sharps. If interested let me know. I’ll make you a deal! 

Archived