SASS Wire Forum

3-gun with SASS guns?

July Smith

Do any SASS shooters here also shoot 3-gun?  Have you ever shot your cowboy guns at a regular 3-gun match?  Obviously a disadvantage, but as far as I can tell it would not be against the rules.

Not 3-gun, but my local sportsmen's club has a defensive pistol league using cardboard body silhouette targets.  I once used my SASS revolvers shooting duelist on a 12 round stage which required a mag change.  It opened some eyes about single action revolvers.  After the match was complete, I did a CAS demo with pistols, rifle & shotgun on one stage. 

Cowboy pistols for a defensive match sounds like an awesome way to show off what cowboy guns can do !! 

Just a few thoughts on breaking into 3-Gun competition using Cowboy Guns

- .223 is listed in most of the rule books as the minimum caliber for rifle ammo.  I imagine you could use a 30-30 to cover the caliber requirement, but you are going to do a LOT of on-the-clock reloading if you can only hold 4-5 rounds in your gun (and according to our rules, a 30-30 isn't "really" a CAS gun).  I dont think a lever action pistol caliber rifle is at all suited to modern 3-gun competition.  If the match director at a 3-Gun shoot agreed to bend the "caliber rules" for a cowboy shooter and put you in the in the 'Limited' category - shooting 'cowboy guns' will still impact your ability to navigate most courses of fire.  3-gun matches are going to present you with some rifle targets that are a bit "out of reach" to a cowboy gun.  Shooting cowboy load 38's or 45's using buckhorn sights on a 200 meter target is going to get frustrating real quick.

I'd LOVE to see a little "Cowboy 3-Gun" every so often - but I wouldnt bother taking my Winchester to a 3-Gun match.

I went to an IDPA match about 10 years ago and it was a “Fun Match”. Kind of anything goes. I used my CAS revolvers and shot Double Duelist.

That was fun. :)

I got a lot of compliments and some folks that had no single action experience were impressed with them. I let a few shoot my revolvers. 

Kaya's brother Joseph got to watch her smoke a couple AR shooters with her Winchester. He said it was pretty impressive!

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It's been done-Can't find the link just now.

OLG

Wasn't there a guy back several years ago that ran one of the high round count 3 gun stages with like 8 or 10 pistols- including a pair of Smiths so he could reload them with N-frame Smith speedloaders, a '97 and a lever gun or two?  And he didn't finish last, as I recall.

I remember seeing the video of it back in the day (seeing a guy walking around with 2 double shoulder rigs on at the same time tends to stick in one's head) but can't for the life of me remember who it was.

10 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Wasn't there a guy back several years ago that ran one of the high round count 3 gun stages with like 8 or 10 pistols- including a pair of Smiths so he could reload them with N-frame Smith speedloaders, a '97 and a lever gun or two?  And he didn't finish last, as I recall.

I remember seeing the video of it back in the day (seeing a guy walking around with 2 double shoulder rigs on at the same time tends to stick in one's head) but can't for the life of me remember who it was.

Would love to see that-Must have taken forever to stage.......

OLG

One of our local shooters used to show up at 3 gun matches and load his 97 over the top on extended sg stages. He shot an ancient 1911, bone stock and a M1a

Imis   I miss seeing him. He gave me a bottle of Bamiba beer and swore he wasnt mad at me.

I also shoot 3 gun and we were shooting targets out to 475yds.   One stage took 30 pistol rounds and another took 24 shotgun.  This would be very difficult because of a time limit on the stages.  Bullett 19707

Archived