SASS Wire Forum

Lead in your blood

Tennessee Snuffy

I worked at a lead smelter for 23 years, and I think medical removal was somewhere around 42. After 4-6 months of mopping floors or picking deer droppings out of the plant managers yard (yeah, that was a real thing), they'd put you back out in the plant at... 28 (?). Things change, and anymore, 10 is considered on the high side. I haven't had mine checked since the plant shut down in 2001.

The number's in from last week's test.

Drum roll...

Does this make me happy, sad, indifferent or need a drink?

Happy but I'll take a drink.:lol:

9 months ago it was 24. That means even working with lead almost every day I am maintaining a number over the course of almost a year.

Could 23 be better? Sure, I like 19.

Could I be happier?

Not much but I'll let you know when I hit 19.

Waimea

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:37 AM, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

This was discussed at the Black Gold RO class. Cassalong Hopidy was our instructor and said his level was high. Steps he said he took was to wet tumble brass and wear disposable gloves. Hope he sees this post and comments.

Great name. I tried to get it back in 1997, wouldn't let me have it....

hud

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I got my results back today.  34, down from 36.  Not much improvement.  I may have to cut back on running the timer and see if I get a better result.

You're going in the right direction.

Lots easier to get it in ya than get it outta ya.

I will start wearing a mask while running the timer. Hey, I'm an Outlaw. I can get away with it.

13 hours ago, hud said:

Great name. I tried to get it back in 1997, wouldn't let me have it....

hud

I have been told by several that they were surprised about my alias.

I just got mine back yesterday. Took 2 tries as the blood the Doc took wasn't accepted by the Lab, so I had it re-done at the Lab. Came back as 9. Yoohoo! That will keep my wife off my back for while.

On the form it says Osha wants it less than 20, WHO wants it less then 40, and BEI less than 30.

Just got mine back and its way up, 48. Looking at different ways to get it under control. One topic I haven't read is what to do with the water after wet tumbling. I've been washing the brass outside on the driveway and letting the water run out into the yard. Thinking now that might be the best idea. But rinsing it the sink and letting go do the drain may not be that good either. Any thoughts?

13 hours ago, ovrundr said:

Just got mine back and its way up, 48. Looking at different ways to get it under control. One topic I haven't read is what to do with the water after wet tumbling. I've been washing the brass outside on the driveway and letting the water run out into the yard. Thinking now that might be the best idea. But rinsing it the sink and letting go do the drain may not be that good either. Any thoughts?

Nothing that can be said here.  

13 hours ago, ovrundr said:

You need to figure source of lead exposure.  Bullets, casting, or primers.  48 does seem high if youmare not casting.

Assuming using gloves, mask and washing up.  D lead soap is my go to.  Switched to polymcoated bullets for less lead exposure.  As I mentioned above maybe look into the new lead free primers.  Then very little lead residue from vleaning brass if none at all.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:04 AM, ovrundr said:

You don't give much history.

When was your last test?

What was the number?

Do you do any other high risk things?

Renovating an old house?

Unless you are pouring the lead water into your well I can't see that as the BIG problem.

48 is not good. You need to figure the source asap.

Washing hands religiously was a big help for me with D Lead soap.

You might need to stop shooting for a spell to get this number back to something reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

Folks

Since  my last post, I may have the cleanest reloading room in the USA.  I have gone thru and wiped all the surfaces and each individual item with a product that is suppose to remove any lead dust.  I have been using vinyl gloves at all phases of my reloading procedures, washing my hands between each stage at our local matches and my last blood test indicated my lead level has increase by 3 points.  Not exactly the right direction!!!

Ok, so I am looking for anyone that has knowledge of a good air filter with HEPA filters that you personally have used.

Any other ideas about decreasing lead levels would be helpful since my pants are starting to get a little sagger in the rear!!!!!

Thanks

Tennessee Snuffy

Archived