SASS Wire Forum

NYers - now its a 30 day waiting period

Ah yes, the more "thorough" background check, that is on the lips of the Gifford Gang from coast to coast.

How do these people think a check works? Do they think agents are dispatched to interview past employers, teachers, neighbors, etc? You need to be going after a pretty important government position to get that service to kick in. Buying a shotgun? Don't think that makes the cut.

Full name and date of birth (possible also for SS number) that can be run from any squad car MDT, in about 10 seconds.

Anything else is just petulant crappola.

I wonder when these morons will start pushing for real prison sentences with real punishment?

I know the answer...never

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wonder when these morons will start pushing for real prison sentences with real punishment?

I know the answer...never

Why would they want to lock up their voters

I have three revolvers at the FFL.
30 day waiting period between each handgun.
Mebbe I will get them all before Halloween.

I have spent 150 days in waiting periods since January.

This is not a mandatory 30day cool down law.  The 30 day wait is for those NICS checks that don’t come back as approved.  If your background check has a flag that requires investigation, then the dealer has to wait for an approval or for 30days instead of the federal 3 day requirement.  

56 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

This is not a mandatory 30day cool down law.  The 30 day wait is for those NICS checks that don’t come back as approved.  If your background check has a flag that requires investigation, then the dealer has to wait for an approval or for 30days instead of the federal 3 day requirement.  

That's not what the article says! It says mandatory 30 day background check, where are getting your info from?  Are you a New Yorker or is there another article on this? I'm not being a smart A$$ I would just like to know!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That's not what the article says! It says mandatory 30 day background check, where are getting your info from?  Are you a New Yorker or is there another article on this? I'm not being a smart A$$ I would just like to know!

Smart man, always verify credentials. No, I’m not a New Yorker, way to many people there.  There are several other articles. 

The Fox article referenced by the OP states in the first sentence “certain gun purchases” the rest of the article is addressed at those purchases.  Fox did not clarify what those certain instances are.

The change signed into law Monday by Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo will apply when a federal instant background check returns inconclusive results for a potential gun buyer.”

https://www.wivb.com/news/new-york/new-york-extends-waiting-period-for-some-gun-purchases-2/

There were several other New York papers stating the same thing.  Search “new york 30 day wait firearm” for more articles.

I'm a ny'er, The 30 day wait is for when the instant background isn't instant, As said, Feds say 3 days then allow sale, Il Duce cuomo has signed the law stretching it up to 30 days. He also signed a law mandating secure storage for all fire arms if there is a person under 16 living at or even visiting any home with guns. Like the criminals will lock up their guns.

I wait with baited breath for the tremendous drop in the crime rate

36 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I wait with baited breath for the tremendous drop in the crime rate

Would someone please keep an eye on Utah Bob? He'll need some assistance once he passes out from holding his breath and probably hitting his head on something on the way down.

10 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Smart man, always verify credentials. No, I’m not a New Yorker, way to many people there.  There are several other articles. 

The Fox article referenced by the OP states in the first sentence “certain gun purchases” the rest of the article is addressed at those purchases.  Fox did not clarify what those certain instances are.

The change signed into law Monday by Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo will apply when a federal instant background check returns inconclusive results for a potential gun buyer.”

https://www.wivb.com/news/new-york/new-york-extends-waiting-period-for-some-gun-purchases-2/

There were several other New York papers stating the same thing.  Search “new york 30 day wait firearm” for more articles.

Thanks!! I am skeptical about everything, my Dad used to call me a "Doubting Thomas" :D

Perhaps someone in NY can help.  

Let's assume I'm a lawful NY purchaser.   I go into my LGS, and try to purchase a rifle.  The NICS, for some reason, does not clear immediately; in fact, it does not clear during the old 3 day period.  What, if anything, does NICS actually do with that request after the Federal 3 day period expires?  Do they keep looking for information?  Or do they just let it go, since there is no Federal mandate to go any further, and the State of NY is not paying them to do anything?  Bottom line - will this NY expansion have any practical effect?  

Thanks.

LL

Loophole, It will have no effect whatsoever, The idjits in charge of this state can't seem to understand that criminals don't obey the laws. It will only effect the law abiding.

1 hour ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

Loophole, It will have no effect whatsoever, The idjits in charge of this state can't seem to understand that criminals don't obey the laws. It will only effect the law abiding.

You're correct Major, but it's just tightening the screws a little more each time until, eventually, the laws become so onerous that folks will not have any firearms.  At least, that's what politicians like Cuomo think.  I moved out on NYC over 30 years ago and they were tightening gun laws in the city even then.  As I recall, at that time a new law required that all long guns had to be registered. I received a permit from the PD, which listed a 22 rifle and a Marlin lever action.  Luckily, I moved out of state shortly thereafter.  Within a couple of years, AR type rifles were declared illegal and had to be turned in.  Assuming folks registered them, they had no choice other than to move them out of state.  I read somewhere that the concept is to get a law passed, which might have any effect, so that the next law can be passed just a little bit easier. 

Archived