SASS Wire Forum

1873 rifle in 44 mag?

Grizzly Dave

Have a pard looking for one, but looking around Uberti only lists a 19 in model that only holds 9 rounds.

Is there such a critter as a 73 that holds ten 44 mags?

1 minute ago, Ranger Dan said:

I bought one for my son. The 19 inch carbine holds 10 in the magazine.

Ten 44 mags, or ten 44 specials?

Did you have to trim the spring?

2 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Ten 44 mags, or ten 44 specials?

Did you have to trim the spring?

10 full length 44 magnum rounds, no modifications, completely stock. Bought it about a year ago. Great gun.

When I was looking for a 44 magnum 73, I was also looking for 20" model believing that the carbine at 19" would not hold 10 in the magazine. Given the rarity of this gun, I believe some distributors who are told it will "hold 10 rounds" understand that to mean it is a 9+1, as some of the earlier .357 cal  carbines were. I found a good deal for one on gunbroker and called the advertiser and he assured me it held 10 so I bought it. BNIB and it sure enough holds 10. I totally understand the confusion out there since advertisers list them as 9+1 and others list them as 10 in the mag. It also turned out to be a very smooth action.

I made that comment because many new rifles are now limited to a maximum capacity of 10 rounds. 9 in the magazine + 1 in the chamber. Manufacturers are doing this to comply with states like New York, California, and Colorado that have magazine capacity restrictions. 

Unfortunately complying with states that cannot pass enough stupid laws fast enough sometimes means that they do things with new production rifles that they didn't do a few years ago.

A perfect example is the new firing pins on Uberti pistols.

I don't think Uberti has ever put a plug in their mag tubes.  Now Chiappa has had a removable rod in their '92's that allows only 6 rounds loaded.  I'm not sure if they still do.  When I was at Cimarron,  that rod would be removed before shipping a rifle to a customer so the customer would never know about it, although occasionally one might slip through.

IIRC one of the initial drafts of the 10 round ban did apply to all firearms including fixed magazines. 

A bit of Trivia, as of July first in Washington State, a semi-automatic .22 rifle is considered an assault rifle and is treated no differently than an AR-15 or AK-47. You also have to pass a background check to buy a percussion revolver if it has a steel frame. If it has a brass frame it does not require a background check.

Well, I'm not going to do any damn homework, but just by memory.  Seems back when EOT was still in California, at some point the politicos there made a ten round limit which as written would appear to include our cowboy rifles.  Fairly quickly, it was either amended or an exception was ruled, or something like that.  Maybe someone remembers ?

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well, I'm not going to do any damn homework, but just by memory.  Seems back when EOT was still in California, at some point the politicos there made a ten round limit which as written would appear to include our cowboy rifles.  Fairly quickly, it was either amended or an exception was ruled, or something like that.  Maybe someone remembers ?

That’s the problem with memory. It’s incredibly unreliable and gets worse with age. And that’s in optimal circumstances. Cowboy action shooters aren’t exactly spring chickens. 

Heck, the first draft of those 10 round limit laws in CA would have included your pistol BELT!  That's when I started searching for someplace else to lay my head... God Bless TEXAS!

28 minutes ago, Griff said:

Heck, the first draft of those 10 round limit laws in CA would have included your pistol BELT!  That's when I started searching for someplace else to lay my head... God Bless TEXAS!

Give up at there very first sign of a threat? Especially one that never came to fruition? The new America: when the going gets tough, pack up and move. 

Abilene,

It was either 2003 or 2004. All of us that entered EOT received an exemption letter before the match from their state attorneys office. It allowed us to bring our lever guns in to the state in case we were stopped by law enforcement. The law made any gun capable of holding 10 rounds illegal. So for at least a short time, lever guns capable of holding 10 rounds were illegal in California.

19 minutes ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

Abilene,

It was either 2003 or 2004. All of us that entered EOT received an exemption letter before the match from their state attorneys office. It allowed us to bring our lever guns in to the state in case we were stopped by law enforcement. The law made any gun capable of holding 10 rounds illegal. So for at least a short time, lever guns capable of holding 10 rounds were illegal in California.

L, believe you be right on one of those years, not sure which.  And, I believe one of those years was the year you were honored with a black badge.  Good times my friend. 

3 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Give up at there very first sign of a threat? Especially one that never came to fruition? The new America: when the going gets tough, pack up and move. 

Really...?  Personal attack?  I won't deign to retort, as I'm sure you'd never think there might have been a few other factors, hmmm?  Let's just say it was a happy confluence of circumstances.

I was simply pointing out that the first drafts of some of the most stupid, asinine, restrictive, meaningless laws in the width and breadth of the land were even more outlandish than what was finally passed.

I bet what happened was someone with SASS had the bright idea to seek clarification with the California DOJ. They have a nasty habit of interpreting laws any way they feel. and someone at the Cal DOJ said it was illegal then a formal request of a letter turned up on the right persons desk and a correction was issued. that usually never happens. 

Keep in mind lever guns of any capacity were never illegal. The definition of a ammunition feeding device was and has always been a removable feeding device.  As with all laws you need to look at what the code says and where it draws its definitions from. A Fixed tube magazine of and capacity was never illegal. They simply included an exemption for 22lrs in the thinking that's the only lever gun around. You need to remember these people that write these laws are dumb as dirt. 

Oh by the way there was also an exemption on high cap magazine for competition use for non residents that used the mags only at the competition event. Again this only applied to a removable magazine on a semi auto rifle or shotgun. this never effected a lever gun No matter how fast Smokestack can shoot. Although they would say he should be registered as a NFA weapon 

Now all that said california has some very screwed up gun laws. law that in some cases make zero sense and directly contradict each other. Thankfully we have some good federal judges putting a stop to this crap.  

10 hours ago, Griff said:

Really...?  Personal attack?  I won't deign to retort, as I'm sure you'd never think there might have been a few other factors, hmmm?  Let's just say it was a happy confluence of circumstances.

I was simply pointing out that the first drafts of some of the most stupid, asinine, restrictive, meaningless laws in the width and breadth of the land were even more outlandish than what was finally passed.

Drafts of bills are not laws. bills get gutted and amended all the time in this state. I have no doubt that the very first draft might have included how many rocks you could have in your pocket for your sling shot too. Fact is it's only law when the Governor signs it. So draft mean as much as a hill of beans. law we have today has seen one and only one amendment and that a ban on possession which has an federal Injunction in place 

15 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

thats exactly what i did when murderland was trying to turn the glenfield model 60 my dad gave me for my 9th birthday into an "assault rifle" (my sks is still illegal there). i packed my crap, took my money and moved to a state that welcomes me and my guns.

i could vote progun until im dead and it wouldnt make a lick of difference, the libtards in baltimore will win every time. (see larry hogan)

i dont need their stupid gun control but they need my taxes... wv is happy to take my money...

Archived