SASS Wire Forum

Hoppes #9

60 years of using, no wonder what's wrong with me. Will be my defense at trial.:wacko:

My wife always loved the smell of the old time Hoppe's #9 

She said it reminded her of a shoe repair shop.

She also claimed it was the cheapest perfume she ever wore to attract me.

(I always wondered about that)

10 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

My wife always loved the smell of the old time Hoppe's #9 

She said it reminded her of a shoe repair shop.

She also claimed it was the cheapest perfume she ever wore to attract me.

(I always wondered about that)

I get the same response from my wife. The sweetest smell on earth 

I just cleaned 4 guns all with Hoppes solvent and Hoppes oil! 

I preferred the smell of the old mil-spec bore cleaner. My dad had tons of bottles of that stuff that he bought during the 60s and 70s. I still have half a bottle left that I keep for those special occasions when I just want a little sniff. ;)

My wife isn't as fond, however that might be because I accidentally spilled a small bottle when cleaning my Winchester a couple years back.  My cleaning mat soaked it all up of course, but it still lingered in the living room for about a week afterwards...

I love the smell of Hoppe’s #9.

A friend went to the SHOT show and came back with Hoppe’s scented air fresheners like those goofy pine tree shaped air fresheners that people hang from their rear view mirrors only these were in the shape of a bottle of Hoppe’s. 

I kept one in my console for a very long time. Love that smell.

10 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I told Kaya to put a dab behind each ear before a date. If the kid didn't recognize it or like it WRONG KID!

When I brought home my first girlfriend in high school, Dad happened to be tinkering in the gun room. He told her to put a dab of Hoppes behind each ear to turn me on.

Embarrassment ensued on all fronts. 

Our daughter-in-law at one time worked for Bushnell and a sourcing manager.  Bushnell had acquired numerous name brands of shooting and outdoor equipment.  Her major task was to find manufacturers in Asia to make the formally US made products.  One product was Hoppe's #9.  She said they had the formula and the chemicals were common available products.  But for some unexplained reason, if one of the sources of any of the components was substituted,  the smell wasn't right.  I see the latest Hoppe's says that it has a new smell.  

Bushnell has been gobbled up by yet a bigger investment group. 

https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands/

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I love the smell of Hoppe’s #9.

A friend went to the SHOT show and came back with Hoppe’s scented air fresheners like those goofy pine tree shaped air fresheners that people hang from their rear view mirrors only these were in the shape of a bottle of Hoppe’s. 

I kept one in my console for a very long time. Love that smell.

Found those one time too. Wish could get more. Recharging with Hoppe's is too easy to over do.   GW

Ballistol smells like you cleaned your gun with the stuff that drips out the bottom of a leaky garbage bag.

Break Free smells, uh, inoffensive.

Now Hoppe's?  That smells like you're really cleaning something!

1 hour ago, Joke 'um said:

Ballistol smells like you cleaned your gun with the stuff that drips out the bottom of a leaky garbage bag.

Break Free smells, uh, inoffensive.

Now Hoppe's?  That smells like you're really cleaning something!

Frog Lube smells like bubble gum and does a great job of cleaning, but I still finish off a cleaning job with #9.

Hoppe's No. 9 just hasn't smelled quite right since they took out the nitrobenzene and toulene.  Something about it having some sort of neuropsychological effects on users... or maybe it was causing global warming/cooling/generic climate changes....   :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Hoppe's No. 9 just hasn't smelled quite right since they took out the nitrobenzene and toulene.  Something about it having some sort of neuropsychological effects on users... or maybe it was causing global warming/cooling/generic climate changes....   :rolleyes:

It also doesn't clean out bores nearly as well either.

17 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Whenever I use #9, my wife yells out, "Are you cleaning guns again, can't you do that outside?"

Pretty much my wife's reaction at times as well, although now that I do it in the "cat room" I don't hear about it any more.

Archived