SASS Wire Forum

Move or not to move

Wyatt

I taint got much to chew on, it won't last long,,, and Id tell them not to hold up the line

7 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

What if you move someone’s firearms.......and they give you an ass chewing 

How the heck far did you move them?

The next bay?

It's not so much me minding people touching my guns as the fact that when they do touch them at the LT, it's to slide them over.  Those tables almost always have splatter on them.  When guns are moved over that surface the chance for scratching them is high.  You would think this would be obvious, but for many it's not.  I picked up my first scratch on my 1873 within a week of so of getting it because someone slid it over six inches so they could rest the muzzle of their pistol where it was.  Yeah it's a working gun, but if it's going to get marked up I would prefer I be the one doing it since I'm the one it belongs to.

I don't like to move others guns and I don't like my guns moved.  I always pick up my long guns and move them so abrasive scratches from dirt on the loading table don't happen.  I have seen very few others take this much care, most just slide the guns down the table.

Fordyce

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

Better to ask for permission than a chewing. We’re not in that big of a hurry 

like I said, IF they've left the table,,,,

39 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

NO.  If they have left the table, go AROUND em.

Dang, using that logic no one should ever have to move anyone’s firearms............I like it !!!!

7 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Thankfully I've never had to do it a second time but ^this is my answer.  And I don't appreciate anyone else moving my guns without asking first. 

One exception is during a match where there's a lot of movement in the stage.  In that case I'm okay if one of the spotters or other posse members brings one or both of my longs guns to me on the way to the unloading table.  This speeds up the match for everybody. :D

+1.

If I ever did ANYTHING at a Cowboy match that warranted me being the recipient of an A$$ chewing,

I would humbly apologize.

Surely another Cowboy can find the words to politely inform everyone that they prefer NO ONE

touch their firearms without permission.

But remember this:  the moment a shooting Pard establishes a 'cast in stone'  "Don't Touch" 

policy for their firearms will be the moment they set in motion their own bad mo-jo:

1. eventually, you will find yourself in a situation where you need to 'touch' another Pards firearm(s).

2. Your cart will one day flip over, probably in the mud, and others will stand around and watch it

because you don't want ANYONE to touch your firearms.

I'm not crazy about others 'freely touching' my guns, especially at the LT.

But in honesty, Deuce has made a good point.   I trust those I shoot with....AND, I check

my firearms before leaving the LT to ensure that rifle hammer is down.   Its MY 

responsibility.

I will add that if I were to view someone with a new and very nice rifle, I would not scoot, slide

or move it.  I would let the owner, for the same reasons that Capt Bill mentioned.

P.S. - if you don't want anyone touching your rifle, use a Marlin.   No body likes touching

a Marlin, except a few champions, of course....... :lol:

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

It's not so much me minding people touching my guns as the fact that when they do touch them at the LT, it's to slide them over.  Those tables almost always have splatter on them.  When guns are moved over that surface the chance for scratching them is high.  You would think this would be obvious, but for many it's not.  I picked up my first scratch on my 1873 within a week of so of getting it because someone slid it over six inches so they could rest the muzzle of their pistol where it was.  Yeah it's a working gun, but if it's going to get marked up I would prefer I be the one doing it since I'm the one it belongs to.

Same here! A few times I've seen carpet that was upside down! Some carpet is crazy filthy and can't be removed to be cleaned. I also worry about getting dirt, oil, or other crude all over and in my guns. Sometimes the carpet is deteriorating and you get fuzzy fibers that cling to everything. The worst was that red carpet at the posse shoot where you cut off the board at EOT this year. Some of that made it home with us. 

I don't like ass chewings. Don't like giving them, don't like receiving them. Pretty simple, keep your hands off my guns and I won't put my hands on your woman.

Isn't that hard to figure out.

NO , if you are at the loading/unloading tables - it aint that hard to ask the owner if you need a bit of space , but anywhere else i do not see the need - they were there first , find a different spot , unless of coarse their guncart is blocking your vehicle ...still ask , its common courtesy 

Just once did I do it. Only because the shooter was at his cart, noticed the backup, and asked me to move his stuff down.

That's the only time. Just not comfortable doing it, unless permission is expressed or implied.

Typically if I discover that I will need to leave the LT, I will tell those behind me to just go around my stuff. If it was moved for me, then shame on me for not paying attention to the line.

Even for those that appear to bring ammo from their cart one round at a time, most will notice the backup and adjust their stuff to keep things moving.

I just try to be patient with my pards.

To me it depends on the situation. If you're being rude, you may draw back a nub. There's no reason for you to touch my guns on the unloading table while I am there too. That's rude and generally not tolerated in the south. If I'm not there, feel free to move them out of the way. Heck, I leave my keys in the truck in case it's in the way and someone needs to move it. My competition guns are tools, and I treat them as such. If you've seen me "lay" them down after a string, you know it! I usually carry a small ammo box which I leave on the corner of the table after I load with the other ammo boxes. I dont think I'm special. If after I shoot, I come back to find it on the ground, that would be constituted to me as rude behavior. 

Ever notice how some people will lay their guns on the table and instead of standing at the end of them they will stand 2 ft beside them taking up 4 ft? It's usually also the person that is crowding you from behind.

8 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Heck, I leave my keys in the truck in case it's in the way and someone needs to move it.

This is very good information to know :ph34r:

If you could leave a $20 on the dash it would be great, might even bring you some DQ when I return the truck :lol:

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If you could leave a $20 on the dash it would be great, might even bring you some DQ when I return the truck :lol:

Usually a few bucks in the ash tray if you're ever short. 

7 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'll take a nanner split. 2 caramel 1 pineapple.

I just tell them to quit Bogarting the table and move their crap. Can't believe shooters are so concerned about scratching their precious guns the way they get thrashed around on a stage. Good grief, if they are that valuable put them back in the museum. Mine are beat to hell and back, doesn't hurt the way they function. Move them if you must, just don't push them off the table and don't cock the hammers. 

18 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I just tell them to quit Bogarting the table and move their crap. Can't believe shooters are so concerned about scratching their precious guns the way they get thrashed around on a stage. Good grief, if they are that valuable put them back in the museum. Mine are beat to hell and back, doesn't hurt the way they function. Move them if you must, just don't push them off the table and don't cock the hammers. 

Maybe some of us just want to keep our guns in the best shape we can and don't want them damaged when it's avoidable by using common sense and picking them up instead of sliding them.  I don't drag them to my cart with the gun butts on the ground either, and I wipe them down with CLP before I put them away.

19 minutes ago, Assassin said:

We have more than one Marlin .38. I always know my favorite (I don't know why it's my favorite, I just use it the most) by a certain scratch (small gouge) in its butt. Ditto my SG. It has a crack in its butt. LOL! :lol: I've had people warn me about that crack. I just tell them I've been using that butt for 20 years (even through a change of SGs).

Yet, some of the desires of some of you aren't lost on me. I just leapfrog or wait if someone's guns are impeding my advancement.

I cannot EVER remember being in such a rush that I couldn't wait a couple of minutes for another shooter to go back and get his or her lucky hat feathers.  This GAME is in no way described as some form of race.  Some cretins will harass Cap Gunners to "Load Faster."  My normal reply is unprintable.  This game is about FUN!!  Why would anyone want the FUN to be over sooner??

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Maybe some of us just want to keep our guns in the best shape we can and don't want them damaged when it's avoidable by using common sense and picking them up instead of sliding them.  I don't drag them to my cart with the gun butts on the ground either, and I wipe them down with CLP before I put them away.

Do you place them back on the staging tables "ever so gently"?

I'm assuming you're a pretty good shooter. It's a speed event, things get banged around, I got over the scratchy feely thing long ago when someone told me to drop the guns and move. You should have seen our guns when we used crappy vertical racks. I know they aren't cheap. However, collateral damage happens. 

2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I'm assuming you're a pretty good shooter. It's a speed event, things get banged around, I got over the scratchy feely thing long ago when someone told me to drop the guns and move. You should have seen our guns when we used crappy vertical racks. I know they aren't cheap. However, collateral damage happens. 

They're my guns... I will be the one to put the scratches on them, thank you very much.

I've got guns that I've been shooting in this game since 1985, and they're not beat to hell and gone...   Used, not abused.  There's a tremendous difference.

3 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Nope, I drop them on the table from about 2 inches.  Yes, they do pick up some dings from that and the shotgun butt picks up divots from brass bouncing off of it, but that is unavoidable if I want to run stages as quickly as possible.  Scratches and damage from being slid across the LT are completely avoidable if people will just act considerately and thoughtfully when they feel they must handle someone else's guns.  I don't think that's too much to ask.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

They're my guns... I will be the one to put the scratches on them, thank you very much.

I've got guns that I've been shooting in this game since 1985, and they're not beat to hell and gone...   Used, not abused.  There's a tremendous difference.

Exactly!  When I put my guns on the LT I'm looking at about $6,000 dollars worth of tools.  Yeah I use them, but I take care of them too.

Archived