SASS Wire Forum

Holster Selection?

David Balthazar

Looking for a new set of competition style holsters, ones that primarily facilitate holstering and retention. 

My experience with some of these other "speed rigs" is the feeling the barrel gets in, but not the frame, forcing me to look (which I try never to do).

I think this is due to the cylinder being mostly exposed? 

Are there any models that deliver competition features but are a bit more stable when you drop 'em in?  Maybe the holster opening "yawns" a bit more?

Thank you--

I went with Reddog Leather.  Easy out, easy in and they stay in.  They have a tension screw as well.  I'm really happy with my rig so far but I haven't tried too many others. 

these threads usually get more responses , depending on where you are there are a lot of great leather folks out there , it also depends on what you are seeking , some are way more ornate than others , ask at a local match 

40 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

I like the look of the Reddog Quickdraw.  Is that what people are using here?

I've had and sold his FastDraw holsters, they were well made. When you message him make sure to tell him you are going to use it for SASS/CAS and not CFDA. He'll tweak it for this sport so the holsters have more retention.  

Some time back I purchased one of Kirkpatricks latest LH style sets with the 'adjustable screw' feature despite seeing a few complaints about them being too tight.  After receiving them I did think that they were actually made to tight in the throat for the guns I had specified, even with the screws removed completely.  This, along with sharp cylinder faces,  is what would cause the throat damage that is often seen on some almost new holsters.  The fix was easy for me, I had a new pair of Ruger 22SSs  that were a perfect fit.  There were enough complaints going around at that time that I hope this would have been corrected by now but???  Soon after I bought a like new pair of the same models used that do fit my Colt clones perfectly???  These are actually very much made to be competitively cut down and I have not seen anyone lose a gun from them.  DO NOT get very freaky with the cant angles and you should not have any problems with any of the popular models actually dropping pistols,as I am sure any such tendencies would have surfaced quickly and been addressed quickly.  I have actually dumped  pistols before and they were from the same holster both times, I tend to be pretty thick headed some times.  That holster was a cart holster that was promoted as great for a starter holster, these were usually referred to as buckets.  They did work fine as long as you did not attempt to pick up brass or otherwise bend over...         

Archived