SASS Wire Forum

97 woes

G W Wade

I normally single load the 97, but when I do load the tube I feel an occasional glitch.  Looking it over I found the shell is hitting the end of the carrier instead of resting on the cartridge stops. So the shell has to push the shell back into the tube before moving down. Not a big deal unless you put 6 in the tube.  Now the gun is locked up tight.  Seems the stops are about .015/.020 too short.  Could the front of the carrier be dressed down to clear or have the stops built up to clear the carrier..   This is a Norinco ….    Ask first=fix second.   Thanks  GW

GW,  I have a parts Norinco I’ll bring to Gunsmoke.  The magazine tube is buggered and I could never get it as slick as my other 97’s.  So I stopped messing with it.  Other than that, it shoots fine.  Maybe it will have what you need if you can’t get yours fixed for cheaper than parts gun.

When you close the action is the bolt and carrier locked tight together?  If not, is the main spring strain screw level with the top of the screw hole in the carrier?

Normally the carrier is out of the way and can't block the shell in the mag tube. If your action is closed properly you can load from the bottom. If not closed properly you will not be able to load from the bottom. The action not closing properly, ie carrier not clearing, is the cause. 

Contact me at outlawgambler@gmail.com

16 minutes ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

When you close the action is the bolt and carrier locked tight together?  If not, is the main spring strain screw level with the top of the screw hole in the carrier?

Normally the carrier is out of the way and can't block the shell in the mag tube. If your action is closed properly you can load from the bottom. If not closed properly you will not be able to load from the bottom. The action not closing properly, ie carrier not clearing, is the cause. 

Contact me at outlawgambler@gmail.com

Thanks OG   The strain screw is below flush and carrier is up tight. Rim of shell is actually to the rear of the front of the carrier.  As I stated looks like stops are too short.   GW

The biggest problem in a loose...VERY loose...nut...the big one behind the stock...

I have 2 real 97's and 2 reproductions.  I also have a real 93.  None of them will hold 6 rounds.   Five no problem, but not 6.  I am not positive, but I believe getting them to hold 6 requires some kind of modification.  Maybe that's the source of your problem.

I'm using 2.5" all brass Magtech hulls, or AA's that have been trimmed to 2.5" before loading.

19 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason behind the desire to load 6 rounds in a gun designed to hold 5?

Said same thing on Wild Bunch forum.   WB used to have 5rds in a 1911 that holds 7 but wants you to put 6 in a shotgun that wants 5.    Only get to shoot 2 or 3 WB a year so not too important.  Doesn't have to be 6, will hang up on 4 just not as bad.     GW

Have 3 IAC imported Chinese 97s, oldest is an "06" series and newer.   All three will easily hold 6 rounds in the magazine with the only modification being a shortened magazine spring.  

NONE of these are Norinco labeled guns.   My experience with the guns before the "04" series is that most of our full time gunsmiths will not want to work on them to try to resolve severe feeding problems.   Have had that occur with at least 3 smiths and 2 different Norinco label shotguns.   They all have called out the poor tolerances and low-tensile strength metal of those guns.

My expensive conclusion has been - if you don't want to work with an original Winchester 97, then get an IAC imported 06 or later.  Forget the Norincos.

Good luck, GJ

I understand what your saying GJ.    This is a Gen 1 or 2 that I bought new. Had the carrier replaced early and then Coyote Cap did his magic.  It does function good until I tried to load 6 for WB.   Decided to change the tolerances so I dressed down the from of the carrier so the shell rests on the stops instead of the carrier.   Running good right now.    Thanks to those who tried.  Even Old Man Greybeard and Medicine Creek Johnny.        GW

Carrier replacement was probably done with a Winchester part, rather than Chinese part.   Part dimensions being "different" from blueprints was one of several things that Coyote Cap had to work with the Norinco folks to get right on their production of 97s, from what I remember him telling stories about 10 and 15 years ago.   Yes, the cartridge stops have to be in control of the shells during most of the cycle, as the carrier is moving around and can't be in charge of "shell retention in magazine" during those times.

Good luck, GJ

This shotgun is old enough it came with genuine imitation walnut paint on the p#&# elm stock   GW

You have to remember...GW is a very tired old binder “mechanic “. His tools consist of two sizes of straight screwdrivers,one Phillips screw driver...all rounded off...two crescent wrenches...one pair of pliers...one channel locks...one vise grip....one big hammer and one bigger hammer. And with that he wants to play gunsmith...

Hope Old Man Greybeard and Medicine Creek Johnny have a great time at Return to Aqua Verde with out me this weekend.      GW

19 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Have 3 IAC imported Chinese 97s, oldest is an "06" series and newer.   All three will easily hold 6 rounds in the magazine with the only modification being a shortened magazine spring.  

NONE of these are Norinco labeled guns.   My experience with the guns before the "04" series is that most of our full time gunsmiths will not want to work on them to try to resolve severe feeding problems.   Have had that occur with at least 3 smiths and 2 different Norinco label shotguns.   They all have called out the poor tolerances and low-tensile strength metal of those guns.

My expensive conclusion has been - if you don't want to work with an original Winchester 97, then get an IAC imported 06 or later.  Forget the Norincos.

Good luck, GJ

I've experienced both Good and Bad in various serious of the IAC model 97's.

But I agree with the info shared by G.Joe above is good sound advice.

I have 2 impeccable, fast and reliable 04 series IAC's,  but if you are looking for

a good IAC, look for 06 or later series (as stated by G.Joe), especially the COWBOY (CB) series.

..........Widder

I wish GW could have made it. Always a good time with him around. You will be missed my friend.

38 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I wish GW could have made it. Always a good time with him around. You will be missed my friend.

Who is this and what did you do with the real OMG           GW

Archived