SASS Wire Forum

45 schofield

stef75

Folks, anyone run this in their 45 colt lever actions and if so does any particular action like or hate it?  Does the rim present problems?

Also wondering if anyone knows the case capacity? I'm figuring its going to be similar or maybe a bit less than the 44 special...

I am running Schofields in my 16" '73.  With a 200gr or 250gr bullet (standard type smokeless bullets) it runs fine.  I tried some Black Hills with a 180gr bullet and that was too short to cycle.

I had one 73 that would cycle Schofield and an older production 73 that would not. Same was true for my newer Outlaw in 45 Colt will cycle Schofield but my older Outlaw will not. rotate with S hofield loaded. Go figure.

Thanks for the replies this far. I have an opportunity to pick up a uberti colt in 45 colt with 30" barrel and a bunch of schofield brass ( different owner) and so obviously the wheels have been turning in my head. I guess there is no guarantee with these, its a case of try it and see?

If it doesn't cycle is there usually work that could be done to get it to work? On another tangent has anyone ever converted a gun to the shorter cartridge. Like 44 rem to 44 special or 45 colt to 45 schofield?  Whats involved with that, set the barrel back and rechamber? Or is that crazy PIA territory

1 hour ago, stef75 said:

Thanks for the replies this far. I have an opportunity to pick up a uberti colt in 45 colt with 30" barrel and a bunch of schofield brass ( different owner) and so obviously the wheels have been turning in my head. I guess there is no guarantee with these, its a case of try it and see?

If it doesn't cycle is there usually work that could be done to get it to work? On another tangent has anyone ever converted a gun to the shorter cartridge. Like 44 rem to 44 special or 45 colt to 45 schofield?  Whats involved with that, set the barrel back and rechamber? Or is that crazy PIA territory

Well any kind of rechambering will be an involved task. You would need to turn off the old threads.  Turn down and rethread the barrel. And cut a new chamber. Then get the head spacing right. 

Thanks I take it no one bothers doing this to get a dedicated chamber for the shorter cartridges? 38sp, 44sp, 45sc? Wish the companies would bring out more offerings in these actually. 

10 hours ago, stef75 said:

I know of no-one that bothers with rechambering. for a shorter cartridge for CAS as there is no advantage in it. Only exception is a rechamber to 45 ACP which is expensive. 

Any competent CAS gunsmith can make a 45 colt rifle work with 45 scholfield brass. Functionally no different than 38 special in a 357.

Archived