SASS Wire Forum

Habits that follow you off-duty/retired

Lawdog Dago Dom

Been retired 19 years and still do just about every one. No touch screen back then. Biggest is back to the wall and able to see entrance and back door if possible. Still look at every license coming towards me and in front of me. Gun hand will always be free. Love children, why I have been volunteering at the kids camp the last 17 years. Watch everyone's demeanor and listen in on other conversations. Pull over to help stranded motorists and try and hit the lights. Watch who is going into the bank and type of cars parked around the bank and if someone is setting in one. Especially if the vehicle is backed in a parking spot. Teens running I almost start after them. 

Crap, nope, never retire just the nature of being a cop. The sheepdog forever.:lol:

Guilty on probably 9 out of 10 on that list.  Another thing I still do is that I walk wide going around blind 90 degree corners like building walls.  Also, I still close car doors quietly, as well as interior building doors.  Sometimes without thinking, when my cell phone rings on my left hip, I'll start to turn it upside down before pulling it from its holder, same as we would do to unleash the walkie-talkie from its holder.

Yep guilty as charged. My wife claims it’s embarrassing when we sit in a public place and my eyes never stop moving, we were on a cruise when my wife called out the guy at the end of the table as a cop for the same reason he was a Chicago Officer.

Disable the dome light.  Don't let people touch me.  Sit with back to the wall.  Check for bulges in the clothing.  Check peoples hands.

I was never a police officer but I do some of the things listed and a couple that you gents mentioned. To me it’s common sense...or maybe I was a cop in a past life. :D

I don't write many checks but when I do, I have to consciously remember to not put my badge number after my signature.   I always try to sit with my back to the wall in a restaurant and the gun hand is always available while in public.  I always take a moment and look through the glass of a convenience store before I walk in and I'm always sizing up everyone at the gas pumps while I'm filling up.  I've been retired almost 4 years but old habits die hard.

Quilt y’all!! I’m even more hyper sensitive to my surroundings and thinking about how I would handle different scenarios now that Dave died:( Not that I’ve lost my confidence to take care of myself, but my partner was always right there, watching my back. I know he is still doing the same thing from above, just taking care of me in a different way!!

I was never a cop but I do all of those things after being in the Army and the Corps.

It took me five years to stop answering the phone "(my current rank) Taylor".

Also after 'Nam there is no way you can get me on a bus.  Ever.  And the scariest thing I've had happen in fifty years was ride an ambulance down to Phoenix.  YOU CAN'T SEE OUT OF THOSE DAMNED THINGS!!!!!

Situational Awareness,,,, has saved My life more than once .

Trust ,,, is earned...

Some of the best Dressed people, are the worse Crooks out there ....

We can't go armed here ,,,, So sitting with you back to a wall but not in a corner helps ...

Jabez Cowboy

7 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Situational Awareness,,,, has saved My life more than once .

Trust ,,, is earned...

Some of the best Dressed people, are the worse Crooks out there ....

We can't go armed here ,,,, So sitting with you back to a wall but not in a corner helps ...

Jabez Cowboy

How much is your life worth? I’d move to a state where men still walk free 

I notice expired tags, switched tags, seat belts, windshields and lights.  I sit with my back to the wall in any public venue.  The wife thinks I'm watching other women when we walk through the mall, when  what I'm noting where exit doors are, and watching the hands and mannerisms of people around us.  I never wrote my badge number after a signature, but I still use my initials with a circle around them (told the judge to not go light on that ticket).  I got a flashlight, at least two guns and reloads, extra keys and my ID on  my pretty much all the time.  

Retirement is pending in around five years unless health intervenes.  I don't see any of the above changing because I'm not on the job.  

If you want want to see something hilarious I meet a bunch of cops that I retired with for breakfast occasionally. Breakfast is at 08:30. Guys start getting there at 08:00 and would argue about who had to sit with their back to the door. The restaurant finally put us in a back room at long table so everyone had their back to the wall. Awkward and silly as hell 

The numerous little tactical things are still a matter of survival in this sometimes-mean world; good ideas that are completely independent of ever having been a peace officer.

I still usually wear my ID, driver’s license, and health plan card in a carrier on a ball chain around my neck, under my shirt. Again, it is something that seems the tactically wise choice, as nothing in my wallet will let anyone know I was ever employed by a PD.

I do have to be careful about unthinkingly walking armed into federal facilities, as I have no “official” status, which enabled me to enter most of those areas, with weapons, while I was still an active law enforcer.

When I had a “duty to respond,” 24/7, I tended to naturally “stand up for what’s right,” when I saw folks being abusive to others. With retirement, I had to turn that off, especially as a significant reason I retired is that some acute and chronic injuries had compromised my physical abilities. At the same time my duty to respond ended, I also lost “qualified immunity,” so I need to pick my battles very carefully.

I had to learn to stop authoritatively giving bad guys “the look.” I will continue to make just enough eye contact, to let them know that I am aware, and not an easy target, but I do not want to be seen as “disrespecting” them.

I figure that I am doing something right, because people tend to mistake me for being prior military, rather than prior LEO. Now, to learn to turn it down, more, to achieve the “grey man.”

• I still sit where I can watch the door in a restaurant
  • I scan the room when I enter
  • I stand beside the door when I knock or ring the doorbell
  • In traffic I do not stop window to window with the car next to me
  • I undo my seat belt about a 1/4 mile before I pull into wherever I am going
  • I redo my seat belt about 1/4 mile after I pull out
  • I believe that every 10th driver is impaired, whether medical or recreational
  • I rarely talk to anyone I do not know with my hands in my pockets
  • and there is more......

Oh, i'm guilty as charged.....27 years did me in......

I get misty eyed when I see a doughnut.

14 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I still eat like I am in a hall with 200 other very hungry guys and I have 5 mins to be out and on Parade:blush:

My father always ate as if the Germans would be strafing/bombing in two minutes.  Aircraft mechanic in North Africa.

... reading these is like watching myself on video playback ... never signed with the badge number ... otherwise ... yep ...

Suspicious of a vehicle following me, I've been known to go out of my way to make four consecutive right turns to see if I'm actually being followed.
Leave enough room in front of me when stopped, to make an escape, whether left or right: that one alone saved my bacon one dark night!

Did anyone else get nervous when they saw a police car in their rear view mirror WHEN you were driving a darn police car 

6 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Did anyone else get nervous when they saw a police car in their rear view mirror WHEN you were driving a darn police car 

Nope, was my back-up on time.

9 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I got pulled over by a Trooper when I was in an unmarked unit. :lol:

Does receiving a parking ticket on your unmarked count? (I paid it, best $10 ever spent, anyone trying to use me to get out of a ticket heard my story to their face and the fact I paid my own parking ticket on a police car, ya think I am gonna get you out of one?)

14 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I got pulled over by a Trooper when I was in an unmarked unit. :lol:

When I was UC Narcotics, I once got pulled over by a Trooper, and I had a pound of weed in a backpack on the floorboard of my pickup (on duty, just made a buy).  Fortunately, the Trooper never asked about the backpack.  My supervisor was just down the street, watching the whole thing, just in case it went further than necessary.

Archived