SASS Wire Forum

Who is Coming lists

Dusty Devil Dale

Just for fun, how important is the Who is Coming list to you, in deciding to sign up for a match? 

Just rate 1 - 10, with the following as a scale:

(1) list is unimportant to me

(4) list is pretty important

(5) list is a major consideration

(10) list is the most important thing to me. 

I don't have anything further in mind for this.  I'm just curious.  For me it is probably about a 6 or 7. 

I just really like seeing, visiting, eating and posseying up with close friends, and watching the really good shooters perform.  

By the time the list is put up, even if it's kept current, which often they are not, my decision is long since made.

And I would already know if my close friends were going or not.

So as far as a determining factor for me to attend a given match, I'd say it's more like a zero.

I look more at the lists for matches I'm not going to.

Although the list isn't "important" to me, I do like to see who is coming and like it when clubs publish and update the list.  I especially like seeing that folks I don't see often are signed up.  

7-8....not comfortable at matches where I don't know many people if any at all....would prefer to know if there's gonna be someone I can hang out with before I spend the money....

2-3     It has no affect on my decision to attend or not.  But, I do like to see who is coming and who might be shooting in my category.

1 - no impact, but I like to see who's coming, where they are coming from, and if my category is qualified.

Well, we like to shoot with folks we know, who doesn't.

But we would have not met them had we not thrown caution to the wind and let the Match Directors put us on any posse!

We like both, seeing old friends and making new ones. Plus, we are typically signed up weeks, if not months in advance of the match. I see the "Who's Coming" as a nice courtesy that is offered, but not a deal breaker either way.

So I vote a "1".

:ph34r:  We only get to 2 or maybe 3 'big shoots' each year now, and the sign-up list just adds to the anticipation, and therefore the enjoyment of the whole experience.

Not a deal breaker, but rather an enhancement.  I know my category will be offered, but as others have stated, it's nice to know who we'll get to see and visit with, and possibly posse with.

By the time I sign up, I have already coordinated with the folks that will also be signing up and my 'Posse with' list.

But, I do like seeing the list it just doesn't affect my decision to sign up or not.

Totes

I rarely if ever look at them.  And if I do it's long after I've already signed up.  They don't have any impact at all on my decision to shoot a match or not.  If I already know people that are going to be there great.  If I don't already know them I will by the end of the match.  Either way I'm going to be shooting a cowboy match so I'm going to have fun.

Responses here surprised me.  For me,  the things I look at, in order, are 1) location/cost, 2) scheduling around other commitments, 3) Who's Coming. 

For me, who will be there is a measure of how much fun it will be.   Meeting new people is fun too, don't take me wrongly, but there's nothing like spending time, visiting, catching up, eating, and shooting with good friends.  Shooting a match alone, even for a big shiny belt buckle, wouldn't be much fun at all--just another practice day and another reloading and gun cleaning session.

.... Yawn. 

I look to see if there's anybody I know who's NOT coming. So I can call them up and harass them into coming.

Also, you'll note, most Who's Coming lists, don't list category. That's, presumably, to curtail category shopping.

Just now, Flying W Ramrod said:

So I can call them up and harass them into coming.

That harassment is what makes it all work.  Speaking for myself, sometimes it takes a harassing phone call or email to pique my energy and get me to sign up.   

12 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  We only get to 2 or maybe 3 'big shoots' each year now, and the sign-up list just adds to the anticipation, and therefore the enjoyment of the whole experience.

Not a deal breaker, but rather an enhancement.  I know my category will be offered, but as others have stated, it's nice to know who we'll get to see and visit with, and possibly posse with.

agree.  My answer is a 5

I don't care. I just want to play cowboy.

I'm now usually in the bottom third, (or lower) but I have more fun than most.

It's not a team sport... so 1.  That doesn't mean I don't look at 'em.  For two one reasons, check my category.  Who I posse with is not that important... I've shot at matches all over the country, not known a soul until I arrived, and leave with new friends to cut up with at future matches!    The only fellar I don't care for is Manual Labor... but I know that I'm going to put up with a little of him every time!

On 7/29/2019 at 5:25 PM, Kid Rich said:

1. I do like to know if friends are going to be at matches.

1. I do like to have friends to shoot against.

kR

Wow, you have friends?

What's that like?

On 7/29/2019 at 5:45 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

10, gotta balance the results a little.

:lol: yer killin me:lol:

10 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

That harassment is what makes it all work.  Speaking for myself, sometimes it takes a harassing phone call or email to pique my energy and get me to sign up.   

What’s yer phone number?

Archived