SASS Wire Forum

CBD oil

Utah Bob #35998

Got some yesterday for my wife's knee and my post-op discomfort.

Anybody used it??

No, but have been curious as to wheather it helps with arthritic joints. Please keep us posted.

Irish Tom

A study from the European Journal of Pain showed, using an animal model, CBD applied on the skin could help lower pain and inflammation due to arthritis. Another study demonstrated the mechanism by which CBD inhibits inflammatory and neuropathic pain, two of the most difficult types of chronic pain to treat. More study in humans is needed in this area to substantiate the claims of CBD proponents about pain control.

A significant safety concern with CBD is that it is primarily marketed and sold as a supplement, not a medication. Currently, the FDA does not regulate the safety and purity of dietary supplements. So you cannot know for sure that the product you buy has active ingredients at the dose listed on the label. In addition, the product may contain other (unknown) elements. We also don’t know the most effective therapeutic dose of CBD for any particular medical condition.

We need more research but CBD may be prove to be an option for managing anxiety, insomnia, and chronic pain. Without sufficient high-quality evidence in human studies we can’t pinpoint effective doses, and because CBD is currently is mostly available as an unregulated supplement, it’s difficult to know exactly what you are getting. If you decide to try CBD, talk with your doctor — if for no other reason than to make sure it won’t affect other medications you are taking.

But remember, estimates of the placebo cure rate range from a low of 15 percent to a high of 72 percent.

Also, be advised that CBD raises the effect of blood thinners such as Coumadin if you are taking that drug for heart issues.  Just something to be aware of:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/cannabidiol-cbd-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-2018082414476

My bride is taking a 7.5mg does nightly as a sleep aid.

She has a dead thyroid since age 12, and takes enough Thyrolar during the day to stun Secretariat.
This very mild dose helps her sleep just a bit deeper, until it is time to make a nightly trip to the loo.

One of my lodge brothers takes a big slug of this, as he is badly arthritic in his knees.
He says it helps a lot of pain management.

Another friend takes it to solidify his liquid bowels after multiple intestinal surgeries for Crohn's.

PureKana is the vendor I use for my wife.
CBD ain't cheap.

41 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

A study from the European Journal of Pain showed, using an animal model, CBD applied on the skin could help lower pain and inflammation due to arthritis. Another study demonstrated the mechanism by which CBD inhibits inflammatory and neuropathic pain, two of the most difficult types of chronic pain to treat. More study in humans is needed in this area to substantiate the claims of CBD proponents about pain control.

A significant safety concern with CBD is that it is primarily marketed and sold as a supplement, not a medication. Currently, the FDA does not regulate the safety and purity of dietary supplements. So you cannot know for sure that the product you buy has active ingredients at the dose listed on the label. In addition, the product may contain other (unknown) elements. We also don’t know the most effective therapeutic dose of CBD for any particular medical condition.

We need more research but CBD may be prove to be an option for managing anxiety, insomnia, and chronic pain. Without sufficient high-quality evidence in human studies we can’t pinpoint effective doses, and because CBD is currently is mostly available as an unregulated supplement, it’s difficult to know exactly what you are getting. If you decide to try CBD, talk with your doctor — if for no other reason than to make sure it won’t affect other medications you are taking.

But remember, estimates of the placebo cure rate range from a low of 15 percent to a high of 72 percent.

Thanks! Fortunately I'm not on any meds at all so I'll start with a clean slate. (as long as it doesn't have any dioxin, glyphosate, or heroin in  it) I hope research will continue.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Thanks! Fortunately I'm not on any meds at all so I'll start with a clean slate. (as long as it doesn't have any dioxin, glyphosate, or heroin in  it) I hope research will continue.

Wow, its rare that I hear of anyone our age not on some medication!  Lucky you!   You forgot the nasty ole GMO's!

3 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Wow, its rare that I hear of anyone our age not on some medication!  Lucky you!   You forgot the nasty ole GMO's!

Yeah. Just an occasional vitamin. I’m amazed myownself! 

No meds....although some folks have suggested I probably should be. :P

Five morning a week my wife uses it on my lower back to help me deal with my back pain and I believe it does help. She also says the arthritis pain in her hands is gone due to rubbing the oil into my back. We’ve been using it for a little over a year.

Question for you users. Are you using oil with some THC content or oil that is esentially free of THC (Less than 0.3% THC)

What I know so far is to buy from reputable businesses that actually have a brick and mortar store and not just an online presence.

Non-THC CBD became legal in Texas the first of the month. Wife is looking to try it for her cronic pain. Currently have two potential sources but am doing more research first.

A very close buddy had intestinal cancer which was removed but it had gone into the liver. Result of good ole agent orange. He was diagnosed almost a year ago and was given 3 months. As part of the treatment along with chemotherapy he is using CBD at the VA hospital. He is still alive but to remain so will have to be on both till he can't take it anymore. The growth at one point stopped growing, but is still there. Was it the CBD? Doctors are not sure but they did know he originally had only that 3 months to live.

All types, THC and CBD legal here in Canada and sold in government authorized stores or Provincial on-line stores.

I have tried the ground buds, certified high in CBD with almost no THC present, vaporized and inhaled as well as a lingual CBD oil spray, for my arthritis.

I find it works for a few hours, but the root cause is of course still present.

I'm the caregiver for my handicapped wife, so it's difficult for me to go into hospital for any length of time for surgeries, hence, no knee replacement and I opted for radiation rather than surgery for my prostate troubles.

My wife uses an ointment that is made from a private party that is essentially free of THC because the oil used to make the ointment is hemp based.  I've found it works almost as good as Icy Hot when my back gets sore and doesn't smell nearly as nasty, although it does seem to take about 15 minutes longer to really loosen up the muscles, although is much greasier, and we have to store it in the fridge when traveling in the RV because otherwise it gets real soupy...

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No meds....although some folks have suggested I probably should be. :P

What you say:o-I thought you self-medicated yourownself with Wiskey:lol:

OLG

11 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What you say:o-I thought you self-medicated yourownself with Wiskey:lol:

OLG

That ain't prescription.:D

19 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

THC oil is available by prescription in Oklahoma but an RX is required.  This puts you in the category of a yes to "Have you ever used or using (sic) illegal substances) on the form 4473.

r

CBD oil is not THC oil. CBD contains no THC and thus is not Federally prohibited.

54 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

THC oil is available by prescription in Oklahoma but an RX is required.  This puts you in the category of a yes to "Have you ever used or using (sic) illegal substances) on the form 4473.

r

Only if the THC content is above 0.3%. Below that and the answer is no.

My doctor and the doctor that gives me injections to control sciatic and sacroiliac inflammation both recommended it as a pain relief method and so far it’s worked quite well. The real surprise came when my wife’s arthritis pain in her hands has virtually disappeared from applying it to my back.

17 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No meds....although some folks have suggested I probably should be

Ditto-

Doctor asked me a while back, "What meds are you taking?"

I told him I wasn't taking any and he said, "Well, we'll have to change that, won't we?"

Not my doctor anymore...

I use a CBD liniment on my hands and shoulders when Fibromyalgia flares up.

It does take the edge off.

I got a prescription for my whiskey...well, it's a receipt from the liquor store...same thing :) 

As for CBD oil, I have no doubt of it having medicinal value, but am quite infuriated with the host of claims made on it right now.  The list of ailments and illnesses CBD oil is being claimed to cure is staggering.  Every time I hear a local advertisement for it, all I can think is of some dark and seedy character standing on the back of a wagon with a glass bottle in hand, selling snake oil.

It is a shame that the Feds interfere with medical research into Marijuana.  While we mourn the loss of the rain forest and all the potential medicinal herbs and other plants being lost, we ignore one that has value due to a continued prejudice that has its basis in racism, governmental propaganda and propping up existing industrialists

4 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

It is a shame that the Feds interfere with medical research into Marijuana.  While we mourn the loss of the rain forest and all the potential medicinal herbs and other plants being lost, we ignore one that has value due to a continued prejudice that has its basis in racism, governmental propaganda and propping up existing industrialists

Blame it on Reefer Madness

Picking the dog up from the groomer, yesterday, I noticed they had a display selling in their lobby.  Available in three strengths.  Guess its getting pretty common.

Lady at my Church first put me on to CBD.

Her sister used the oil for her arthritic knees. 

First one she tried made her nauseous, but the second worked.

I don't know much beyond that, but it may be that there are different types even in the CBD area.

The lingual spray CBD oil I'm trying helps for a few hours and allows me to get sole sleep without the knees throbbing.

I hope that's safer than all the pills I was taking for the pain, but it sure would be nice if there was more/better research on the stuff.

I'd hate to find out it was a second cousin to Agent Orange or some darned thing.

Archived