SASS Wire Forum

WTC

largo casey #19191

At the local shoot yesterday the Timer operator was found to have their pistol on half cock.Gave it a no call at the time.Would like some input on this.

Largo

As the TO was not the shooter, No Call.

A lot of things can cause the hammer to go to half cock, away from the line. i.e. snagging on your shirt, going to half cock to lube the cylinder pin, etc. Unless he's the shooter, no call.

26 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

He put it on half cock to unload it at the ULT. Put the gun away on half cock. Now the gun is unloaded, its on half cock, but he's at the ULT?

Still no call.   He has had that gun cleared, and it's safely holstered.   There's no safety concern until he gets onto the "firing line" from the LT to the ULT next time.

Good luck, GJ

2 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

yeah but....he's at the ULT. The firing line os from the LT to the ULT. So technically he has a pistol on half cock at the ULT!

Stage ends when last gun is cleared. Was it his last gun ?

4 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Stage ends when last gun is cleared. Was it his last gun ?

Stage – synonymous with “Course of Fire” from the beep of the timer once the shooter has signified “ready” to the last shot fired. 

SHB p.45

Got cha - is it the line of fire it was the firing line I was thinking of.

an interesting aside, once saw a shooter (probably had 4-5 matches experience) serving as a spotter.  Had is pistols holstered, was sub-consciously cocking and decocking them in his holsters.  I told him that was a big no-no, dont do it! He was not really aware he was doing it.  Just nervous energy I reckon.   People do stupid things! 

I could be dead wrong again, but if there are no live or spent cartridges in the cylinder/chamber, this seems like a no call, since the TO is not a shooter on the firing line.  It's not a lot different to half-cocking back at his cart to spin the cylinder to recheck it is empty.  This seems a good time to just quietly let the TO know about his problem, similar to his fly being unbuttoned.   Him not being the shooter,  stopping the posse wheels to deliberate which rules might apply isn't going to make anybody's day better.   (See Common Sense Rule Book, p-1.) 

9 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I could be dead wrong again, but if there are no live or spent cartridges in the cylinder/chamber, this seems like a no call, since the TO is not a shooter on the firing line.  It's not a lot different to half-cocking back at his cart to spin the cylinder to recheck it is empty.  This seems a good time to just quietly let the TO know about his problem, similar to his fly being unbuttoned.   Him not being the shooter,  stopping the posse wheels to deliberate which rules might apply isn't going to make anybody's day better.   (See Common Sense Rule Book, p-1.) 

It may not matter whether there are live rounds, or spent casings either.  It certainly would matter as far as safety goes, but not necessarily as far as SASS rules go.  If I show up to a match with spent brass in my gun and it shows up at the LT on the first stage of the day it's a no call.  The same would apply here.  There might be a range rule that was violated, but not SASS rules.

18 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

(See Common Sense Rule Book, p-1.) 

That would be listed in the RO 3 rule book.

Archived