SASS Wire Forum

Vietnam Cross of Gallantry

Utah Bob #35998

A lot of guys are unaware of this.

The Vietnam Cross of Gallantry is the equivalent of the French Croix de Guerre. The VCOG was originally authorized only to specific individuals and units. In May, 1974 the Government of (South) Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) authorized the VCOG all foreign military personnel and units for valorous achievement/participation during the Vietnam conflict, March 1, 1961 through March 28, 1973. In April 1975 the GVN re-authorized the VCOG to all foreign military personnel who served in Vietnam until the end of the war, including foreign personnel who risked their lives in the final evacuation operations (General Order 8, MACV). All recipients of the Vietnam Service Medal and Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (Vietnam) are also authorized the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry.

6 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Is this retroactive?

Yes it is.

That's interesting I'd heard that member's of the third brigade 82nd Airborne as a unit had been awarded the VCOG  back in 1968 but it had never been authorized to wear it on our uniforms, I had no idea that it was awarded to all service members who served in Vietnam.

Thanks for the post it clears up something I've been wondering about for years.

I passed the link on to a VN combat vet friend of mine who looked up the outfit and he said the Better Business Bureau gave them an "F" rating. All reviews were negative. He went on to say all the guy sends you for $7.50 is an email and probably sells your DD214 info to a fraudster. He wen on to say the use of the FBI logo on his site is illegal.

He's a retired attorney so I trust his research. Thought I'd pass it along.

44 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I passed the link on to a VN combat vet friend of mine who looked up the outfit and he said the Better Business Bureau gave them an "F" rating. All reviews were negative. He went on to say all the guy sends you for $7.50 is an email and probably sells your DD214 info to a fraudster. He wen on to say the use of the FBI logo on his site is illegal.

He's a retired attorney so I trust his research. Thought I'd pass it along.

I am not advocating that company. I removed the link.

Just passing on the info that all in-country Vietnam vets were awarded the VCOG in 74.

You can get an updated DD214 if you want. The medal is not issued by the US because it was a foreign award and from a now extinct government. They can be purchased commercially from many companies like Medals of America  if you want more bling for a shadow box.

Award requests

The National Personnel Records Center-NPRC (or veteran's service branch), is the U.S. federal agency that generally takes and responds to retroactive award requests from U.S. Army veterans (and other Vietnam veterans) and or updating their personal military records to show the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross (RVN) and or unit award credit, either per Army General Order 8 or per unit specific awards. The full medal and or unit citation award are both considered foreign military awards and are not issued to Vietnam veterans (or their NOK) by the NPRC (or any of the United States military services). Once requested (USN-USMC name of the unit award must be used by those veterans) and authorized, the veteran (or NOK) will be notified by mail to purchase the award(s) at most U.S. military installations, military clothing sales or private military insignia and Internet dealers.

I found out that my brothers unit recieved this award when in country. 

Thanks again. 

BS

Archived