SASS Wire Forum

will a horse jump over a man?

Trigger Mike

58 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

what would a horse do if someone did that?

Probably the same thing I would do. If I saw the guy in time, I would attempt to jump over him.

I would not deliberately step on him, because he would not be as secure a walking surface as the ground is.

But if there was no time to clear him, I'd stomp on him.

in general no they will not, but with all the horses I have shod over the years as a Horseshoer I would not do it

My brother and I would take turns riding wide open at each other with one of standing and the other riding to see if the horse would run over us or scotch off at the last second. None of the horses we tried this with would run over us. Good thing as the hospital is 50 miles away and how to explain it to dad. But I have an Appy now that probably would run over a person as Appys are not too bright.

12 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

El Dorado Mississippi says a horse will not step on a man so that the riders have to jump him when he lays down in front of them so he can shoot them as they pass.  what would a horse do if someone did that?

If you watch that scene in slow motion you will see the dummy that they used get stepped on at least once.

Clear in this video

A horse will generally attempt to jump over a man.

No guarantee. Some horses are clumsy.

I'm sure there may be occasions when they do it on purpose, just for the fun of it! :P 

407656125_Horsestompingonarider.png.910e2bd2e9c817b886ed9e6a786ce118.png

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I'm sure there may be occasions when they do it on purpose, just for the fun of it! :P 

This one dang sure would. :angry:

F68C4F5F-B1C0-45BC-BEFE-110FCDB95191.jpeg

One of my old girlfriends had a horse that would step on my feet on purpose. He didn’t like men. After seeing how her Dad treated this horse I understood why.

44 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One of my old girlfriends had a horse that would step on my feet on purpose. He didn’t like men. After seeing how her Dad treated this horse I understood why.

Yup. Mine used to do it very stealthily. Sloooowly lift his foot, carefully manuever it to hover over mine and then shift all his weight to it.

Then let out with a soft horse laugh while I punched him in vain.

Majority of horses are polite and will do their best to not step on you but accidents happen.  Rodeo rough stock horses will avoid stomping on the thrown rider, in most cases.

They say that a horse will not "Intentionally" step on you.  When I had horses I got stepped on a couple of times only because my foot was in a place that the horse couldn't see it and "Ouch".  Talking to rodeo cowboys, they say that a bucking horse will almost break its neck trying not to land on you, only if they know you are there.  If they don't know you are there and their feet land on your head, it was an accident, not intentional.  Now a Brahma bull ,that's different,  it will buck you off and then try and kill you.

The lead horses in a bunch will likely try to avoid stepping on someone; it's the ones following that are the danger.

Growing up, one of the horses we had was a Shetland pony we called Cheesecake.

That mean little sucker would go out of his way to step on you. And bite you. And press you against the fence. Just about everything except kick.

I think Dad kept him around to help us kids learn how to pay attention around horses.

Archived