SASS Wire Forum

Factory shotgun ammo

Rye Miles #13621

What factory SG shells are you using for your doubles? Just curious, thinking about just buying them instead of reloading!

3 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Winchester AA Low Recoil Low Noise when I don't have time to reload.

I like those too but can’t seem to find them , most of the time I see Lights but not low recoil!

Cabela's has the Winchester AAs low recoil ( 980 fps) on sale for just under $80 a case.  There is a Winchester rebate still in effect until 1 September, which will lower the price by $2.00 a box.  According to the Cabela's web site, free 2 day shipping is included. 

I like the Remington STS Light Target Loads, a little bit heavier than the Win AA Low Noise/Low Recoil, which I use also, but do the job nicely even with a lighter SKB.

Hey Rye, Fin usually has them in stock or will get them for you. Had them in Canton on Friday. $80/case.

I like the Remington STS shells.  I was using the Winchester AA shells but I found after case gauging them, I was getting about a 20% failure rate.  They work fine for Wild Bunch in a pump but I only shoot a few Wild Bunch matches a year.  The STS shells have about a 3-4% case gauge failure rate.  

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What factory SG shells are you using for your doubles? Just curious, thinking about just buying them instead of reloading!

Kaya wants you to shoot STS's and save the hulls for me. :D

I’ve got a case of the aa I moose recoil you can have for $60

Wally world Estate 1 oz Super Sport Competition Target Load 1180 fps. $5.54 a box.

9 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I’ve got a case of the aa I moose recoil you can have for $60

I moose recoil?

9 hours ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Different shotshells won't make you hit the targets!

I hit 'em just fine thank you!

Hey how's your Japchester doing??:lol:

A friend gave me some Orvis English Light Load shells his father had when he passed. I thought "sure, why not?" Turns out English Light is the equivalent of GOOSE load. Im glad they are gone.

Imis

11 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I like the Remington STS shells.  I was using the Winchester AA shells but I found after case gauging them, I was getting about a 20% failure rate.  They work fine for Wild Bunch in a pump but I only shoot a few Wild Bunch matches a year.  The STS shells have about a 3-4% case gauge failure rate.  

In 34 years of playing this game,  and nearly as much skeet shooting over an additional 11 years, I've never owned or bothered with case gauging any shotshell, either factory or reload... and in all that time I've had exactly ONE shotshell fail to fire... one of my BP reloads.   And thru about 7 or 8 different shotguns, from Stoeger's to TTNs, to Winchester's and Remingtons.  I will admit I haven't shot anything thru that Turkish copy of the Remington 870 I won a couple of years ago... but I suspect that if it's chamber & headspace is near SAAMI specs... it'll fire anything I put thru it. 

I will admit to a slight preference to the long gone "Blue Magic" shotshells and hulls... but then I jealously guard my stash of those... I doubt you'll ever see me using them at a cowboy match... 

The wife and I were big AA Featherlite fans for our 97s.  Since I started shooting SKBs, I have had occasional problems with factory AAs not wanting to shuck out of my doubles.  I started using a chamber checker, even on new AAs.  To my surprise, and as previously mentioned, more than a few wouldn't drop into the chamber checker.

We reload for monthly matches, but we now only use new Remington STS shells for big matches.  I also will not use reloaded AAs in any of my doubles; STSs hulls have consistently held their shape, even after multiple reloadings. 

Skip the Federal 12g ammo you find at Wal Mart, the soft primers may cause the shotgun to be hard to open.

13 hours ago, McCandless said:

I like the Remington STS Light Target Loads, a little bit heavier than the Win AA Low Noise/Low Recoil, which I use also, but do the job nicely even with a lighter SKB.

Yep, same here.  My wife shoots the AA LN LR. I also reload our once fired hulls.

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I moose recoil?

silly spell correct!!   low noise, light recoil or whatever the saying is, but I get the empties back please...

I had heard a few things about Federal factory Top Gun loads, so I picked up a case of Federal Top Gun Low Recoil-Subsonic, 12 gauge, 900 fps,.  They are about an 1/8" shorter than my Remington STS reloads.  Slightly ribbed, and has the larger metal base as compared to the Remington STS.  I shot one box and if in bad need, they might work for a match or two.  Felt recoil was abit harsh, as compared to my current reloads.  I will stick with my reloads.  B)

Shotshell Compareison.jpg

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

silly spell correct!!   low noise, light recoil or whatever the saying is, but I get the empties back please...

If you can bring them to Sandusky, I’ll take them. I’m not going to Tusco this time. I want the empties though, I still reload some.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I want the empties too!

Ok I’ll bring them 

7 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

Ok I’ll bring them 

Okeedoke!! ;)

Estate shotgun shells. I get them at our local Sportsman Warehouse with a discount for buying a case.

https://www.estatecartridge.com/html/target.htm

Archived