SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Ballard 1870's vintage single shot lever

I would like to sell my very old Marlin Ballard it still shoots very well the gun is over 150 years old.WILL EXCEPT REASONABLE OFFERS. This is a lever single shot with very beautiful engraving on the receiver. The gun is quality history. It will shoot .22lr but i belive it is a 22 extra long that wass the black bowder 22lr in the 1865 1870 era. I check with Marlin and it is ok to shoot 22lr out of it and i have no black powder 22's to try in it. Marlin advisd me it is like shooting a 38 spec out of a 357 magnum. More than likley it was made for a long distance shooter duplicating his big bore, to pratice with less recoil and a less expensive calaber to shoot, due to the expence/recoil of  large bore rim fire as that was all that was available in that erea. Remember during the rim fire days of the large bore metalic cartridges there was no reloading.  I have had the rifle in my safe for years but it is time. Thanks for reading a real peice of history. It is a tack driver by the way and i will ship directly to you as no FFL is needed due the its birth date thank you Asking 2150.00

IMG_8070.JPG

IMG_7734.JPG

IMG_8050.JPG

IMG_8055.JPG

Thank Ethan Cord, I have read that and most of all material I could find on Marlin Ballard's quite historic. I have had the gun 40 years or so like to find a collector and find it a good home. Ethan Cord (Pardise) TV will this gun dates to that time and place Thanks again for you info Bear Run Butch

Archived