SASS Wire Forum

The story of The Grumpy Lunch Bunch

Some years back.....10 at least and maybe a lot longer....Joy Belle, Old Scout, and I went to lunch one fine Wednesday.  The occasion has long since been forgotten, but we met at a local family restaurant in Ontario, CA at 11:00 am.  We agreed that it was enjoyable and scheduled another lunch at a different place two weeks later.

The second lunch, or maybe the third Cliff Hanger joined us and we decided to meet on the first and third Wednesdays of the month and go to  new place each time.  Cliff later suggested we call ourselves The Grumpy Lunch Bunch.  

Shortly after that Lefty McGovern joined us and soon brought in a framed picture of a black bear sitting at a picnic table and Grumpy, The Lunch Bear was adopted as our "mascot". I have no idea if the framed picture still exists, but it sat on the table at every lunch for a long time.

Over time we changed the lunches to every other Thursday and came to a number of unwritten agreements.  We also grew to a peak of 51 people who were "members, some attended every meeting and some almost never.  We agreed to never go to the same place twice in a row, though some became standard for the group.  The most we ever had at one time was at the original site to pay tribute to Old Scout when he passed away; 26 people showed up.

Over the years several members have died, several more have dropped out for various reasons, some have moved away, and two were dropped from the roll by popular consent.

There is still a core of five or six left.

We agreed right off the bat to have no officers, no dues, no by laws or club regulations, and no formal organization.  I became, by default, the person who kept the list of potential places to eat.....166 at one time..... and sent out the notifications to the members.  Anyone could suggest a new place to eat if they had actually eaten there themselves.  

We didn't look for much: good food, good service, reasonable prices, and room enough to seat a group of ten or more.  We gave up on reservations because many didn't know until the last minute if they would be there or not.  It was more about the friendship than anything else.

WE covered an area from the Victorville vicinity on the northeast, to Orange and even further to the south, and had one man who lived in Agoura to the west.

Most were CAS shooters, though some were not.  One, a neighbor of mine, was invited because he was old and alone.  At 89 years old he is still a regular at the lunches  and loves the people who are there.  He doesn't shoot (hasn't even held nor fired a gun since he left the Marine Corps in 1955) and doesn't understand much of what's being said, but he considers everyone his friend and appreciates that he's treated with friendship and respect.

I miss that group.

If you are interested take a look at cliffhangershideout.com.  I'm sure that you'd be welcomed if you wanted to join the group for a meal.

Now!  I'm located in Prescott Valley, AZ now and am considering starting up a similar group near here.  I no longer shoot for physical reasons, but may join one of the local CAS groups just keep my hand in, so to speak. If anyone has any opinions on this please feel free to contact me here.

If you'd be interested in helping to start a group in this area I'd be happy to help get it going.  If you're so inclined I'd appreciate it if you'd pass the word.

Also, I'd entertain some suggestions for a name.  The Grumpy Lunch Bunch Numero Dos, or Copper State Chapter, etc..... ir something entirely different.  Something to give the group an identity. 

Let me know.

Tom Forty Rod Taylor

PS & BTW, Deja Vu and Jittery Jim Jonah met at a GLB in Riverside and were later married. :D   Just be aware that social contacts can be worth the time and effort to show up. 

Helen Brimstone and I made the trip from Fresno a time or two... and if I remember correctly, doesn't Utah Bob hold the distance record for a GLB excursion?  :)

Tom ~ I'd encourage you to indeed start a local chapter, and DEFINITELY join up with an Arizona CAS club.  Why should only California have the opportunity to enjoy the Forty Rod experience~?  big-grin.gif

I can’t recall the name of the restaurant, but the GLB lunch that included a trip to the Autry Museum was great. 

On 7/27/2019 at 10:08 PM, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Next Southern California gathering.

This is updated in late afternoon after each gathing.

http://www.cliffhangershideout.com/glb/

There 'tis boys and girls: an invitation from one of the early members and one of the few still left..  Stop by and have a meal with some of the greatest people in SASS, which equates to the greatest people anywhere.  :lol:

We miss you guys.  :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( Uno and I were only able to make a couple of lunches, due to work restrictions.  We had a wonderful time.  Hopefully, we can get a chapter going here in FLA.

2 hours ago, Ethan Cord said:

I can’t recall the name of the restaurant, but the GLB lunch that included a trip to the Autry Museum was great. 

We had a few field trips, but the Autry Museum was the best.  Had a very poor turn out (six people IIRC) to the Roy Rogers Museum and only three for the Julien Apple festival.  I think we had a better showing for the Peterson Car Museum in LA, but I'm not sure.

Once or twice a year Tom "Muley" Moseley and his wife would have an all day lunch in his back yard.  Muley was a master cast iron chef and everyone brought something else along.  Usually 18-30 people from all walks of life and several states, and yet somehow there was always food left over...except for peach cobbler.

Had a number of other trips that never materialized.

This part of Arizona has the potential for some spectacular trip, too.  Williams to Grand Canyon train trip, the huge meteor crater, Montezuma's castle and Montezuma's Well, and a huge selection of other places.  I'd like to go up to Cameron's Trading Post again, Sonoma, Tombstone, and other historic sites, and y'all GOTTA see the Elks Opera House in Prescott.  I can also see a crowd showing up with tickets for some of the tribute groups that play there.  Go to the palace Saloon and count the bullet holes in the stamped tin ceiling.  Sharlot Hall Museum is a wonder for historians and fun for almost everyone else.

I'll see what I can get started.

We have a Grumpy Lunch gathering, monthly here in Middle Tennessee. It began with Latigo Jim, Will Reilly, Imis Twohofen, and others including myself. We try to vary the location and individuals come when they can. We’ve had as many as ten at one time and we include Blue Boy, the oldest active S.A.S.S. member in our group.

Our group has received its franchise and a blessing from Forty Rod and we proudly carry on the tradition! There are around a dozen at last count, but we’re not a year old yet.

I have  a  friend  here that  is  part  of  the  ROMEOS  

Retired

Old

Men  

Eating

Out

I like  the  name  and  hope  to  join in 20 or 30 year's  

CS  

• 3 months later...
On 7/28/2019 at 11:14 AM, Cowboy Small said:

I have  a  friend  here that  is  part  of  the  ROMEOS  

Retired

Old

Men  

Eating

Out

I like  the  name  and  hope  to  join in 20 or 30 year's  

CS  

Go ahead on and join.  Tell them in your case the R stands for restless... and you're old enough to vote and buy liquor.

New blood is the way to go.  "Grow or die" is more than a slogan, it's a fact of group life.

Archived