SASS Wire Forum

CAS and SASS

Tex Wilson

4 hours ago, Griff said:

Errr... no, only from about 1994/5 on.  Before that only one sixgun was required.

That I fully agree with.  

Thank you for the note about the number of Revolvers. I had an old timer tell me they didn't have the requirement in the beginning.

I see nothing wrong with having just on revolver with the option to reload on the clock, or to take a 5 miss penalty, or 5 with a P. As far as one person's comments about slowing down the game for everyone else. it isn't but maybe 1 minute per stage. The bigger concern would be safety. How to empty the revolver and control the muzzle, how to extract the spent rounds, what to do if there isn't a table to lay down the revolver, etc. To me taking a 25 second penalty, or a P might work. Or, just eliminate timing for this shooter and give him the SDQ time.

Seems like quite a bit of bending things around for a shooter, but if the club wants to do that I don't see why not

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

CAS is an umbrella term for a shooting completion using old west style guns.

SASS is the most prolific version of CAS

SASS holds a trademark on the phrase “Cowboy Action Shooting” and defines the term in its literature.  PWB quoted that definition in his reply.

I’ve seen other “umbrella” terms used, such as “Western shooting” or perhaps “cowboy shooting”, but only SASS has “Cowboy Action Shooting”.

10 minutes ago, Russ The Red said:

Thank you for the note about the number of Revolvers. I had an old timer tell me they didn't have the requirement in the beginning.

I see nothing wrong with having just on revolver with the option to reload on the clock, or to take a 5 miss penalty, or 5 with a P. As far as one person's comments about slowing down the game for everyone else. it isn't but maybe 1 minute per stage. The bigger concern would be safety. How to empty the revolver and control the muzzle, how to extract the spent rounds, what to do if there isn't a table to lay down the revolver, etc. To me taking a 25 second penalty, or a P might work. Or, just eliminate timing for this shooter and give him the SDQ time.

Seems like quite a bit of bending things around for a shooter, but if the club wants to do that I don't see why not

I think the call would be 5 misses AND a P.  Not one or the other. 

It does seem like a bit of bending, but I would do it in the hopes the shooter would enjoy SASS and eventually get completely with the program.  I would let them try reloading a single pistol if they wanted to, though I might not let that continue if it took so long I thought it was slowing down the match appreciably for everyone else. 

Thank you Smokey Pistols, you did hit the target squarely about what I really want to do, just play cowboy and shoot with what I have and have fun. I'm hoping that Turquoise Bill and the Whiskey Row Gunslingers will understand my reasons for shooting and not worry about my scores and times because I am not out to be the fastest or best shooter. I have taken the time to read the shooters hand book and I do understand the rules of the game and do not wish to have them changed for my sake. I am planning to accept Turquoise Bill's invitation and show up at the shooting range to meet him and the other gunslingers, talk to them and see what they can do to help me as well as hope they understand where I stand with my concerns. As I said in an earlier post, I may end up shooting 2 pistols and a shotgun in the future. Just to let all who have read and/or responded to my post, I don't have an issue with recoil on a shotgun, I'm just not fond of shooting one and I don't want to buy one for that reason. Maybe if some of the cowboys want to loan me another revolver and a shot gun to adhere to the rules I might take them up on the offer. I need to go and talk to the people first. And as far as shooting with you some day Smokey Pistols, I'm looking forward to that time, Las Vegas is only a 5 hour drive from Prescott Valley.  

Yes, go to a match... borrow a second pistol and shotgun... and after your first stage, if you don't have a BIG GRIN... I'd be mightily surprised.  And when someone puts their little finger in the corner of their mouth and yanks like they're hooked... they mean you ARE!  :D

More guns = more shooting= more funner.

^_^

3 hours ago, Arizona Ranger Captain said:

Thank you Smokey Pistols, you did hit the target squarely about what I really want to do, just play cowboy and shoot with what I have and have fun. I'm hoping that Turquoise Bill and the Whiskey Row Gunslingers will understand my reasons for shooting and not worry about my scores and times because I am not out to be the fastest or best shooter. I have taken the time to read the shooters hand book and I do understand the rules of the game and do not wish to have them changed for my sake. I am planning to accept Turquoise Bill's invitation and show up at the shooting range to meet him and the other gunslingers, talk to them and see what they can do to help me as well as hope they understand where I stand with my concerns. As I said in an earlier post, I may end up shooting 2 pistols and a shotgun in the future. Just to let all who have read and/or responded to my post, I don't have an issue with recoil on a shotgun, I'm just not fond of shooting one and I don't want to buy one for that reason. Maybe if some of the cowboys want to loan me another revolver and a shot gun to adhere to the rules I might take them up on the offer. I need to go and talk to the people first. And as far as shooting with you some day Smokey Pistols, I'm looking forward to that time, Las Vegas is only a 5 hour drive from Prescott Valley.  

Let me know when you attend. I can provide a S/G  ('87, '97, or mule eared double), featherlight shells and a pistol/holster (Ruger, OM Ruger, colt clone, or Schofield) and ammo (32, 45 colt or 45 Schofield).

Contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

I am in Williamson Valley.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:20 AM, Turkey Flats Jack said:

maybe try to find a NCOWS group near you. But if SASS is where you want to play then ya kinda gotta play by the rules. You only shoot right handed and dont want to transfer a gun from one hand to the other. That's fine lots of people use a crossdraw holster. Historical accuracy the issue? We arent a reenactment group. So again maybe try NCOWS? I know lots of clubs will let you play the way you want to but I certainly dont think your times should be in the running. If you're only going to use 1 pistol then you absolutely should reload it on the clock. As for the shotgun i'm not sure what the issue is other than you just dont wanna. Any way best of luck in whatever direction you decide to go. 

Well again maybe not if a club will allow him to shoot the two guns. As I mentioned many times before lots of clubs have in the past been tolerant of special situations. The man doesn’t care about being competitive doesn’t care about the other pistol and shotgun. So charge him what you normally charge a shooter, let him shoot his way, as he will certainly not be threatening any other shooter score wise, and he may even step up to set up and take down the scenarios and targets!  

28 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Let me know when you attend. I can provide a S/G  ('87, '97, or mule eared double), featherlight shells and a pistol/holster (Ruger, OM Ruger, colt clone, or Schofield) and ammo (32, 45 colt or 45 Schofield).

Contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

I am in Williamson Valley.

Thank you very much Injun Ryder. I am planning on coming out to your August 11th match. I won't be bringing my pistol or rifle at that time, as I want to introduce myself and meet all of the Whiskey Row Gunslingers and watch the action. My plan is then to come to your September 8th match with my firearms and start shooting then. I will take you up on your offer to provide me with one of your shotguns and pistol/holder at that time. As I've said I'm not a big fan of shooting a shotgun, but will give it a try. If you can bring your extra firearms on August 11th I'll let you know which ones I will borrow for the September 8th match. Just as I need to get a feel for your guns, I believe that you all should get a feel for who I am. I would love to be able to say that I am a member of the Whiskey Row Gunslingers and at the same time have you all feel the same way. Thanks again......ARC

44 minutes ago, Arizona Ranger Captain said:

Thank you very much Injun Ryder. I am planning on coming out to your August 11th match. I won't be bringing my pistol or rifle at that time, as I want to introduce myself and meet all of the Whiskey Row Gunslingers and watch the action. My plan is then to come to your September 8th match with my firearms and start shooting then. I will take you up on your offer to provide me with one of your shotguns and pistol/holder at that time. As I've said I'm not a big fan of shooting a shotgun, but will give it a try. If you can bring your extra firearms on August 11th I'll let you know which ones I will borrow for the September 8th match. Just as I need to get a feel for your guns, I believe that you all should get a feel for who I am. I would love to be able to say that I am a member of the Whiskey Row Gunslingers and at the same time have you all feel the same way. Thanks again......ARC

Bring your gear....

Do you reload?

OLG

47 minutes ago, Arizona Ranger Captain said:

Injun Ryder is a great pard to get to know. Shot with him for a long time out here at The Cowboys and Cajon and he has a lot of knowledge to draw from regarding CAS, SASS, firearms, reloading, etc..

39 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bring your gear....

Do you reload?

OLG

I don't reload, and that is a question I will be asking, where can I get lead bullets that are coated. As I said, I want to start by meeting people, asking questions, and getting acquainted, so my gear stays home for my first meeting. I just want to watch the action before I jump right in.

7 minutes ago, Arizona Ranger Captain said:

I don't reload, and that is a question I will be asking, where can I get lead bullets that are coated. As I said, I want to start by meeting people, asking questions, and getting acquainted, so my gear stays home for my first meeting. I just want to watch the action before I jump right in.

You will find several folks at the shoot who will want to mentor you on reloading.

Take advantage of this!

Take notes......

I get my bullets from here.

https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/

Best to call as he's a one man show.....

Brass source.......

https://www.starlinebrass.com/

Primers and powder.......

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

All can be delivered to your door.

OLG

As stated earlier, come to one of our Whiskey Row Gunslinger matches, all of your reloading questions will be answered by seasoned shooters who have been doing this a long time. I have helped a good number of shooters get started on reloading. The components are readily available, most locally. We usually try to put a bullet order together for 10,000 bullets at a time, every couple of months, people can pick the caliber, weight and shape of the bullets, mix and match to reach 10,000. Most of us are shooting SNS Casting's coated bullets. https://www.snscasting.com

TB

Arizona,

I broke one of my pistols half way through a match once. Of course, someone offered to loan me one. Being stubborn, I refused and reloaded the working pistol. After that, the TO begged me to borrow a pistol, which I did. Unfortunately, now I want Fanner Fifty's short stroked Ruger. :o;)

Just get the guns. You will enjoy them.

Allie

11 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Arizona,

I broke one of my pistols half way through a match once. Of course, someone offered to loan me one. Being stubborn, I refused and reloaded the working pistol. After that, the TO begged me to borrow a pistol, which I did. Unfortunately, now I want Fanner Fifty's short stroked Ruger. :o;)

Just get the guns. You will enjoy them.

Allie

Yup. Get the guns.

But beware... it becomes addictive. You'll eventually be getting more and more and more...

:o

11 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Yup. Get the guns.

But beware... it becomes addictive. You'll eventually be getting more and more and more...

:o

It's not an addiction unless you're trying to quit.

i suppose you want to use a semi-auto pistol instead of revolvers ? why the adversity to conform - its a shooting discipline with rules and a venue that offers a lot to those that want to participate , 

Two pages of helpful cowboys and my comments certainly won't help your situation if you are serious.  Listen to them that come before me.   That being said and in the age of "ranting" about every little thing that a person doesn't like, I left this page and came back just so I could say this.

I don't think you're serious.  Who joins anything without some basic knowledge of what they're joining?  Upon discovering it's not to their liking, who requests everyone change to meet their wants?   My recommendation is to quit!  You live in one of the best cowboy areas of the country.   Find a shooting range and shoot the way you want!

Hey, guys, I'm learning purdy good.  This rant thing feels good!

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

i suppose you want to use a semi-auto pistol instead of revolvers ? why the adversity to conform - its a shooting discipline with rules and a venue that offers a lot to those that want to participate , 

You should read all of the posts, and by the way, I do have a Ruger Vaquero and a Henry big Boy , both in .357. 

2 hours ago, Max Montana, SASS #23907 said:

Two pages of helpful cowboys and my comments certainly won't help your situation if you are serious.  Listen to them that come before me.   That being said and in the age of "ranting" about every little thing that a person doesn't like, I left this page and came back just so I could say this.

I don't think you're serious.  Who joins anything without some basic knowledge of what they're joining?  Upon discovering it's not to their liking, who requests everyone change to meet their wants?   My recommendation is to quit!  You live in one of the best cowboy areas of the country.   Find a shooting range and shoot the way you want! 

I've never been a quitter.

From another greenhorn (me):

First, when you go to the match on the 11th...bring your gear.  If you don't want to shoot, nobody is going to force you to - but you might change your mind, so keep your options open by bringing it.

Second, my (again, greenhorn) reading of the rules is that you don't have to have all the required guns - you'll just take misses and procedurals for the ones you don't have.  I don't know if that would fly at an annual match or anything, but I would anticipate a club would allow it at a local match.

Third - I think it should be standard policy that if you're short one of the firearms, you just take the misses and procedurals for not having it.  The biggest issue I see here is that the rifle would sometimes have to come last in the chain (because it's frequently followed by the shotgun).  But that's only because the timer doesn't always register rifle shots - so I'd have to say that you'd just have to accept that your rifle time may be falsely inflated,  and understand that it's because you're not fully participating.  

A person missing a couple of guns isn't going to slow down a match - they're going to speed it up.  So I don't see the issue with letting a person shoot short.  There's no competitive advantage (in fact, it's a severe disadvantage) - so I don't understand the arguments against it.   I know a lot of people disagree on this point (I've been down this path before), but that's my position.

34 minutes ago, Arizona Ranger Captain said:

I've never been a quitter.

Rehab’s for quitters:P. Glad you’re choosing to give CAS a try.

3 hours ago, Max Montana, SASS #23907 said:

This response is uncalled for.  What a way to welcome a new potential member.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:15 PM, Arizona Ranger Captain said:

I don't reload, and that is a question I will be asking, where can I get lead bullets that are coated. 

If you don’t reload, perhaps you are looking for ammunition, not bullets (projectiles used to make ammunition).

If that is the case, Scarlett Darlin can ship you some “Cowboy Cartridges” with coated bullets.  Her website is www.bulletsbyscarlett.com

3 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

If you don’t reload, perhaps you are looking for ammunition, not bullets (projectiles used to make ammunition).

If that is the case, Scarlett Darlin can ship you some “Cowboy Cartridges” with coated bullets.  Her website is www.bulletsbyscarlett.com

That's what I'm really looking for, "Cowboy Cartridges" (guess the "greenhorn" in me is shinin' through). I don't reload but I'm willing to help the Whiskey Row Gunslingers with anything I can to help them obtain their 10,000 rounds when ever they need them.

40 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

This response is uncalled for.  What a way to welcome a new potential member.

I disagree.

It's an honest answer... Doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

Phantom

16 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I could argue that it's rude to join an organisation and then immediately criticize that organisation.

Perhaps I missed the criticism that you speak of in the OP.  I'll have to re-read it.  Regardless, the OP is a potential new member.  I think we should afford every courtesy possible when addressing their questions or concerns.  That's just me.

Phantom, I was not, and I am not criticizing CAS or SASS. I joined before knowing everything about the organization I was joining, and I owned up to that fact in a subsequent post. I was just explaining the reasons I did not want to own another pistol and a shotgun. I am not trying to change the rules, I'm willing to take whatever time penalties and/or procedural penalties allowed by SASS to be able to shoot CAS and have fun. I'm willing to borrow other club members firearms to shoot if that is what I have to do to shoot in a match, even if I am uncomfortable with the weapon I am borrowing. Some people need to just lighten up and let me join without judging me. I may end up being one of the best cowboys you'll ever know or shoot with. 

20 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I could argue that it's rude to join an organisation and then immediately criticize that organisation.

I had to go back and re-read all of Arizona Ranger Captain's posts just to make sure - but I'd say we'd be hard pressed to portray anything he said as "criticism".   Looks more to me like he's trying to see if there are ways to shoehorn himself in when he doesn't have (or want) all the equipment.  And he's certainly not making any negative comments to any individuals here, and is successfully diffusing the negative comments that are being directed at him.

Looks to me like he wants to play baseball without a bat - he's got a glove and just wants to field, and agrees to be called "out" every time he's supposed to bat.  As there's no team he's hurting, I don't see the problem with it.

10 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Perhaps I missed the criticism that you speak of in the OP.  I'll have to re-read it.  Regardless, the OP is a potential new member.  I think we should afford every courtesy possible when addressing their questions or concerns.  That's just me.

I agree with addressing potential member's questions.

But...there's always a but...I think some of the questions could be thought out a bit better before posting...and folks should be willing to have a whole host of responses to their questions. Even responses that are a bit harsh and aggressive. 

Phantom

It's up to the local club you shoot at if they will allow the shortage of guns and penalties, but I wouldn't see why not.

Come out with your stuff, watch, shoot if ya want and see what ya think... bet you'll be hooked.

We've had a few that, for whatever reason, couldn't or wouldn't fire a SG from the shoulder. If that's the case, you could fire it from the hip, Outlaw style.

Outlaws also shoot pistols from a lowered position. Whatever the reason, don't get wrapped around the axle about it for now, come out and enjoy.

Watch some YouTube videos of SASS matches... Good Stuff!

Did I say you'll be hooked???

Archived