SASS Wire Forum

Question for the RV'ers

My wife and myself have been looking at small light weight campers, on most current production campers, they had an awning cover over the slide outs, on the Winnebago Micro Minnies they don't have the cover, is this a problem waiting to happen or not???

On my 13 year old travel trailer, the slide out does not have an awning.   I've had no problems with water leaking in if I:

* take care to level the trailer so the slide's roof does not direct water to the trailer body

* annually clean and lube the rubber gasket that surrounds the slide-out opening in the trailer wall

These awnings are a recent addition (last 6 years or so).  Many folks without awnings on slides have no problems.  Some folks must have had problems.   You know your own amount of dedication to maintaining your trailer better than we do   :o

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

On my 13 year old travel trailer, the slide out does not have an awning.   I've had no problems with water leaking in if I:

* take care to level the trailer so the slide's roof does not direct water to the trailer body

* annually clean and lube the rubber gasket that surrounds the slide-out opening in the trailer wall

These awnings are a recent addition (last 6 years or so).  Many folks without awnings on slides have no problems.  Some folks must have had problems.   You know your own amount of dedication to maintaining your trailer better than we do   :o

Good luck, GJ

Everything Garrison Joe says is right on. The slideout awnings are really only important if you're using the RV for months at a time, then they do help shade and preserve the seals.

If you camp in the woods and don't have the slide topper, make sure you have a ladder so you can check the top of your slide for sticks and debris before you close it up.    I don't have one on mine and I've never had a problem.  They tend to sag and collect rain water, flap in high winds and cost a considerable amount of money to install and repair.  

I bought a 2001 Monaco Knight 30’ diesel pusher brand new off of the lot in 2001 and it had awnings over the two sliders. Right in the manual and on the walk through they said not to leave the sliders out in rainy weather because they would leak. The one in the bedroom did and I learned to move that slider in religiously when we weren’t in the RV. The front one with the dinette never did leak. My little Casita that replaced the Monaco Knight doesn’t have sliders so I don’t have to worry about it.

After about 8 years of using my motorhome 6 months out of the year, I had to replace the slideout awning. The guy at the repair facility said it cost way less than replacing the seals, which after 10 years still look like new. 

Mine has a combination of awnings and no awnings.  The couple of things that I've found is that on bigger awnings they tend to collect rain water, if you're not careful you could get that water inside when you close your slide.  On full wall awnings there have been a lot of folks that've had issues with the awning getting loose and flapping in the wind.  The none awning slides I have don't leak but you do need to check them for sticks and debris before bringing them in if you've been parked for awhile (under trees, etc).  The only other issue with awnings is that the do wear out, it is easy to replace the fabric, but really that may only have to be done once in the life of the RV. 

Watched two toppers separate from different RVs from wind on the Deschutes River.  That day we had looked at toppers and seriously considered them but the RV dealership did not have our size in stock.  Figured we dodged a bullet on that one!

Archived