SASS Wire Forum

Do you call your dog by name?

Alpo

This is Worthless. Worthless.jpg.ad8449d9b812f69ecb1ea22c56acfc44.jpg Most of y'all know that. I have a friend who calls her Rotten, because (so says the friend) she's spoiled. My nextdoor neighbor calls her Baby Face. A bunch of kids we see on our walks all call her Doggers. It seems that "Worthless" is a bad name choice.

Occasionally, when I tell an adult her name, he'll ask, "Does she answer to it?"

And I think, "I don't know. I don't call her that".

When I want her to come to me, I normally click my tongue or snap my fingers. If she does what I tell her to do, I tell her she's a good girl.

About the only time I ever use her name is when I'm telling someone her name.

When I was a kid we had four dogs. I have to call them by name so they knew who I was talking to. But now it's an adult, and just having the one, I seldom use her name.

5580B090-D3F8-49F8-A52E-7EBBCC767BE2.thumb.jpeg.a54666a45306f84d271a359587f28553.jpeg

I call my girl “Maddie” by name. She really doesn’t respond to nicknames and responds (only if she feels like it) to other calls occasionally. She is spoiled rotten. That’s my fault, but I don’t care. She’s my “Girlie Dog”. That’s her nickname. She won’t come to it but when I call her that I swear she smiles and she wags her tail.

Yes, I call them by their name and they respond.  However as they age they become deaf but always seem to hear the sound of cellophane being ripped off their favorite treat.  :rolleyes:

I was talking about that with a lady down the street the other day.

Nighttime, and I want to go to bed, so I throw the dog out the back door for her evening drain. After I figger she'd been out there long enough, I call her.

And she'd ignore me.

So I quietly open the refrigerator and take out a Kraft Single. Rip the wrapper off, then shut the refrigerator door so I can put the wrapper in the garbage.

Every time - EVERY TIME - I'd shut the door, she'd be standing there, with that big smile, waiting for her piece of cheese.

Didn't matter how quietly I unwrapped it, or where in the back yard she was, she heard it and beat feet to the kitchen.

We call our girl by a couple of nick names and reserve calling her by name when we really want her attention.  Around the house she is "Missy" or "MissMiss" but to new people or the vet's office she is Kaelyn.  She also responds without prompting to cellophane wrappers.  I frequently shoo her out of the kitchen when I cook because she will sit under my feet waiting for her portion.

Yes, cellophane seems to be a universal dog call. All my dogs have had a similar reaction to the sound of a lid being removed from an ice cream carton...especially if a cellphone seal is removed before removing the lid. ;)

Most of the time we call our little girl by her name "Marlin", but usually call her Rottweiler or pretty girl. She lives with 2 cats and basically acts like them---she'll come if she feels like it. Like Alpo's, you can't unwrap cheese quiet enough to get away with not giving it her.

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes, cellophane seems to be a universal dog call. All my dogs have had a similar reaction to the sound of a kid being removed from an ice cream carton...especially if a cellphone seal is removed before removing the lid. ;)

In our case, it's cheese sticks, or any cheese package for that matter.  She loves cheese and will beg endlessly until we give her some. 

Lady I got her from. She told me the man that owned her no longer wanted her. He was going to take her to the pound. When she brought her over to my house, and see if we could get along, she told me that if I did not like her, that I should take her to the pound, as the guy that owned her did not want her back.

Maybe a year later I see that lady again, and she says, sort of shocked, "Is that Linda?" Linda was the name she came with, but she did not look like a Linda to me.

While writing this just now, I looked over at her and I call her. "Linda. Linda, come here." She pays no attention whatsoever. I try again. "Worthless. Worthless, come here." Again she pays no attention.

I click my tongue twice. She gets up off the floor, comes over, puts her head on my knee and starts licking my leg.

I don't think she even knows her name.

"Get over here, Dammit!"

"But Dayud. My name's 'Jesus Christ'."

We have one that comes to her name called. Our old beagle mix Sammy thinks her name is Treat and only comes when you call her by it.;)

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes, cellophane seems to be a universal dog call.

For our dogs it has been the sound of me taking a knife from the knife block in the kitchen.  Or, if they have missed that, the sound of it on the cutting board.

And, yes, we call April by her name.  It gets her attention.  When I'm taking her for a walk around the trailer park - usually off leash, contrary to the rules because I have a heck of a time walking her on leash - I can get by with "Hey!  This way!" or "Hey!  Come on! Let's go!"  If I want to get her to hurry up and come out of the house I can say "April!  Creek walk!"  and she is out the door in a flash, turning right to go towards the creek.  Sometimes when we get to the next sidewalk intersection she will turn left to go around the clubhouse rather than to the creek.

If we want to talk about her and not get her attention we call her "Little Miss."

Various of April 010.jpg

Somebody, on some board or other, had a little poodle that used to be somebody's purse dog. Now this guy had it, and the itty bitty purse dog was discovering the it was designed to be a hunting dog. And it goes searching through the backyard for game.

Was that you, Joe? The picture seems to jibe with my memory.

Marlin is recovering from 2 torn ACL's and 3 surgeries for them. The cheese has lost it's appeal lately as she discovered she's being scammed to take pills. She can smell the Penicillin from across the room. She just turns her head from all her favorite foods now. Shoving them down her is being a painful risk to my fingers! Snuck them into sausage and eggs this morning and only had to force one pill. It's going to be a long couple weeks!:(

Name one Lab that ignores the refrigerator door opening, the rustle of a wrapper, the squeak of a pantry or your dinner being cooked or going on plates. Ours is 15 and pretends she's on her last legs .............until food is involved. 

My one and only dog was officially named blah blah (sire and dam's names) First in Goal. His first owner, breeder, called him TD for touchdown. When he was first given to me I called him TD or Teeder. Then, I started calling him Tee. He never let me out of his sight so calling him was never an issue, except for our off-leash walks. Then, I'd say cookie and both he and the cat, Obie (short for Orange Boy),  would come.

Obie finally caught up. Yeah, cookie time..JPG

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Somebody, on some board or other, had a little poodle that used to be somebody's purse dog. Now this guy had it, and the itty bitty purse dog was discovering the it was designed to be a hunting dog. And it goes searching through the backyard for game.

Was that you, Joe? The picture seems to jibe with my memory.

'Tis indeed me, myself.  It has been a real joy watching her transform from a shivering, shaking, neurotic little thing into a fairly confident, healty, active by-gawd-DAWG.  

My son brought home a dog that had been caged for most of her seven years. We have a good sized fenced yard so she is living large now!  Poor squirrels. And chipmunk and cat and rabbits and and...  Never saw a happier animal. 

7 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

My son brought home a dog that had been caged for most of her seven years. We have a good sized fenced yard so she is living large now!  Poor squirrels. And chipmunk and cat and rabbits and and...  Never saw a happier animal. 

It's a great feeling, isn't it?

My wife has two dogs, both outside dogs (we live on a ranch), one Aussie and one Border Collie. Both were “inherited” from our son who would work on a ranch for a while somewhere, get a new pup, come home for a while then leave the pup when he went back to work because it wasn’t quite what he thought it would be. The Aussie’s name is Roxie but she’ll also come to her nickname, which is “Fat Dog”. Ever seen a 55 pound Aussie?

The other dog started out as Oakley, which became Okie Dokie and is now Okie or Oak. Or Little Fat Dog because she’s smaller than Roxie.. She comes to any of those. They both start wagging when I call ‘em Doggerts.

The reason they are both a bit on the robust side is that they get gravy on their feed store dog food every night...

Our rescue dog of about 6 years now is named Aristotle, by the rescue people. He answered to it so I started calling him Ari. He knows that and comes when I whistle or use his name. He was just a yr old when we got him and when I talk to him I still call him 'baby dog'. I have a bar where I go for adult liquid refreshment and if I say "want a bar treat' he heads for the bar. Naturally he gets dog treats not adult refreshment Our other dogs that have gone to the rainbow bridge were Kelsey, I called her Kelsey, Lady, and I called her lady, and Melody who answered to Melody, and also came when I called her 'dog'.

And yes I talk to my dogs, and talked to my horses when I had horses. I find most of the time they do not argue with me, and that makes for a pleasant conversation.

21 minutes ago, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

“Reilly” is a 46 lb nurtured male with pure blood lines.  His real name is “Reilly Browne from Roscommon Town”, but that is a mouthful.

Nurtured? Autocorrect, or is that what you actually meant? :P

As to my other question, I was reminded of an old Irish folk song. ^_^

This is Sasha.  4 y/o SF rescue.  Named after the Walking Dead character.

I catch myself slurring her name into 'ChaCha' on most occasions, but  I most slways use a form of her name.  Otherwise its, "Cray-see-doe-gee".

20170612_123713.jpg

Our furry kids are the best. As in yours and mine!:)

Had a kitten (Fang) who thought his name was Dammit Kitty.  Current cats are Fluff Butt and Kitty Girl.  They don't respond to much of anything except the sound the dry food container makes when I pick it up.

SDJ, I've got one that's as zippy as yours. She's 4 now, a rescue from the pound. lhasa/something mix. When she gets to zooming around the house, it's called getting the Yippies. She just about bounces off the walls when that happens. Call her my sweety bad girl. Wife and SIL picked her out, but she's a Daddy's girl:rolleyes::lol::blush::rolleyes::lol:

Funny and a bit sad the way they worm their way into our hearts for such a short stay before they walk over the Rainbow Bridge.

I remember Bonnie Boy, a spaniel that flew with my Father, with his own O2 mask and a parachute a RCAF rigger made for him; Tippy, a mutt that was the smartest dog I ever knew as well as being the best mouser; Mugsy a Bichon Frise cuddler who could run like the blazes and Joanie a mini Schnauzer - diabetic and blind as a bat when we rescued her and showed her a lot of fun in spite of her lack of sight and health issues.

I miss you all my little friends.

Archived